House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Is it weird that I don't care about Cleganebowl?  I think The Hound is a great character and his growth through his arcs with Sansa, Arya, Brienne and the Brotherhood are great and he is one of the best characters in the show.  I just don't particularly have any interest in this big fight between him and the Mountain.  Sure, he burned Sandor's face as a kid, they had that one fight in Season 1, but I'm not really sure why Sandor vs Gregor is some big fight everyone wants.  Maybe I just really want Beric to kill the Mountain?

Edit: Ah shit, Sandor is gonna kill The Mountain with Beric's flaming sword, isn't he?

• Like 1

The Mountain is, for all intents and purposes, dead anyway. A fight with Sandor would have emotional weight on only one side because The Mountain is now an unfeeling husk, rather than the nasty psychopath he once was.

I think I'm somewhere in the middle on Cleganebowl. It's not something I'm particularly excited about, but The Hound's character arc has been so clearly telegraphed towards it that it would feel strange if it didn't happen. What I think I would like is for them to fight and for Sandor to have The Mountain at his mercy, only for Sandor to decide that he doesn't need to deal the killing blow because he's learned that obsessing over such a goal is ultimately pointless. Then he lets Beric finish The Mountain off, fulfilling his duty as commanded by Ned Stark years before.

I think there's more of Gregor left in there than we suspect, and it'll come out when they face off. It may even be bittersweet for Sandor. He has my second favorite redemption arc being Jaime (it's better in the books, but he hasn't charged a dragon on horseback in the books (yet), so...).

All of my favorite characters are either dead (Robb, Oberyn) or bad guys (Jaime, VIctarion). I'm just sad I'll never get to see Victarion, in full plate armor, fighting with a battle ax on a ship.

1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Is it weird that I don't care about Cleganebowl?  I think The Hound is a great character and his growth through his arcs with Sansa, Arya, Brienne and the Brotherhood are great and he is one of the best characters in the show.  I just don't particularly have any interest in this big fight between him and the Mountain.  Sure, he burned Sandor's face as a kid, they had that one fight in Season 1, but I'm not really sure why Sandor vs Gregor is some big fight everyone wants.  Maybe I just really want Beric to kill the Mountain?

Edit: Ah shit, Sandor is gonna kill The Mountain with Beric's flaming sword, isn't he?

I need this.

Just now, Ruki said:

I need this.

He ran away from Kings Landing because of his fear or fire, he fought Beric's flaming sword and the Lord of Light judged him innocent.  He "died" and came back, he saw a vision in the flames OF A MOUNTAIN.  I've fully convinced myself that The Hound is going to wield a flaming sword to kill his undead brother.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Azazel said:

He ran away from Kings Landing because of his fear or fire, he fought Beric's flaming sword and the Lord of Light judged him innocent.  He "died" and came back, he saw a vision in the flames OF A MOUNTAIN.  I've fully convinced myself that The Hound is going to wield a flaming sword to kill his undead brother.

What happens if the White Walkers turn the Mountain? Does he become alive again? An undead undead?

7 hours ago, Meacon said:

I want it because the Hound has become a redeeming character and he wants it.

Speaking of redemption, I was wondering what people thought about whether or not a character can truly redeem themselves. I remember a few saying that Jaime could never be redeemed, no matter what he did, with the same thing said for Theon. The Hound, who's probably committed fewer evil deeds, although one of which was still the murder of a child, seems to be widely considered a character who's in line for redemption.

Is there a set of boundaries that a character can't cross before they're deemed beyond saving?

For me, the Jaime non-redemption is the rape, which was such a shit pointless thing to put in. Especially with how he’s a full on hero right now in the books (and probably my fave character)

Theon and The Hound yeah, did some heinous things, but Theon’s was pretty much a different person, he can’t atone for everything but he can do the right thing going forward. The Hound always had a good part to him.

I know it’s all just different shades of grey, just where you stand on it. I can’t imagine anyone in the TV series changing their stripes at this point either, the die is cast and we’re in for a ride

Theon murdered and burnt the corpses of children, saying they were the Stark kids.

The Hound stole money from a poor farmer (who took him in), which resulted in him and his daughter starving to death. I may be misremembering this one though. 

1 minute ago, Ruki said:

The Hound stole money from a poor farmer (who took him in), which resulted in him and his daughter starving to death. I may be misremembering this one though. 

He did that, early Season 4. To his credit, he did ultimately come to regret it last season.

• Like 1

I don't think any of the three of them should be portrayed as heroes. It's interesting to see them try to redeem themselves, but ultimately, Jaime has never once, until now, regretted not just pushing a ten year old out of a window, but sending a assassin to kill him after that. 

Theon murdered two innocent farm children because he saw them as dispensable compared to his high born buddies. 

1 hour ago, Tobias Brady said:

He did that, early Season 4. To his credit, he did ultimately come to regret it last season.

I mean, he did also murder the butcher's boy that was playing with Arya in season 1. "He ran. Not very far" is kind of shit.

I have been amused and even at times rooted for all three of them at times, but in the end, they've been massive cunts. Jaime dying after killing Cersei or something and both Cleganes killing each other seems apt, all three do not appear to deserve a happy ending.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Speaking of redemption, I was wondering what people thought about whether or not a character can truly redeem themselves. I remember a few saying that Jaime could never be redeemed, no matter what he did, with the same thing said for Theon. The Hound, who's probably committed fewer evil deeds, although one of which was still the murder of a child, seems to be widely considered a character who's in line for redemption.

Is there a set of boundaries that a character can't cross before they're deemed beyond saving?

3 hours ago, Tigerstyle said:

For me, the Jaime non-redemption is the rape, which was such a shit pointless thing to put in. Especially with how he’s a full on hero right now in the books (and probably my fave character)

Theon and The Hound yeah, did some heinous things, but Theon’s was pretty much a different person, he can’t atone for everything but he can do the right thing going forward. The Hound always had a good part to him.

I know it’s all just different shades of grey, just where you stand on it. I can’t imagine anyone in the TV series changing their stripes at this point either, the die is cast and we’re in for a ride

2 hours ago, Josh to the World said:

I’ll never find Jamie redeeming.

I can’t exactly recall what Theon and The Hound did. Refresh my memory?

1 hour ago, Ruki said:

Theon murdered and burnt the corpses of children, saying they were the Stark kids.

The rape of Cersei is a problem for show Jaime, but I personally put it down to badly trying to translate the book to the screen. In the book it's much less rapey and much more two badly damaged people interacting. Not that he comes off great, but it's not rape. Admittedly we do see it from his point of view in the book. Otherwise, the only truly reprehensible things Jaime did was push Bran out the window and kill his cousin. Kingslaying was the moral choice.

I'm a huge stan for Jaime, though, admittedly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DMN said:

The rape of Cersei is a problem for show Jaime, but I personally put it down to badly trying to translate the book to the screen. In the book it's much less rapey and much more two badly damaged people interacting. Not that he comes off great, but it's not rape. Admittedly we do see it from his point of view in the book. Otherwise, the only truly reprehensible things Jaime did was push Bran out the window and kill his cousin. Kingslaying was the moral choice.

I'm a huge stan for Jaime, though, admittedly.

Yeah, I haaaaaaaaaaaated that they made it rape in the show. I have no idea what they were going for there. Of course, in the book she didn't see him for the first time until that very moment in the Sept with Joffrey dead in front of them, so with the grief and them finally being back together, it made sense in a sad, and still disturbing, way. In the show he had been back and cleaned up and for whatever reason needed to have her right then and there regardless of what she said. I had liked show Jaime up until that, but I'm solely a book-Jaime fan now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Meacon said:

Yeah, I haaaaaaaaaaaated that they made it rape in the show. I have no idea what they were going for there. Of course, in the book she didn't see him for the first time until that very moment in the Sept with Joffrey dead in front of them, so with the grief and them finally being back together, it made sense in a sad, and still disturbing, way. In the show he had been back and cleaned up and for whatever reason needed to have her right then and there regardless of what she said. I had liked show Jaime up until that, but I'm solely a book-Jaime fan now. 

I can't argue with this, I just kind of pretend it was different in my head since he's my favorite living character that actually made the show. Plus his crowning moment of awesome is fucking amazing.

• Like 1