General Movie Thread

Jimmy

Which I find kind of interesting because that's never been a thought process of mine. I may be sold on it but if they did a good job then I just want to see any little bit that I can until I see the actual movie. Obviously I don't want it spoiled for me but I can't think of a time where my enjoyment of a movie was affected by the trailer I watched three months prior. My absolutely awful memory probably helps in that regard, though.

Documentary about Amy Winehouse being made by the same guy who made the documentary Senna, Asif Kapadia. Seems like it ought to be pretty interesting.

Furious 7 smashed several records, highest April box office opening, with $147 million, 9th biggest, ever.

Out of the US, it raked in $240 million.

So, I want some advice. I haven't watched any Studio Ghbili films and I'm ready to rectify that crime. Thinking about watching that in chronological order, as I haven't seen any before, and it's not often you can do that.

My question is, do I start with Castle In The Sky? Or do I go for the two Miyazaki one's he did before Ghibili opened?

And then, do I just do the Miyazaki one's, or do all of Studio Ghibili? I've got a feeling that if I try to do it all, it might take me a long time to actually get round to watching some of the supposedly better films, but I'm open to suggestions and arguments.

Don't just do Miyazaki's. He has some great ones, but a lot of my favorites are actually from Takahata. Even his latest one, Princess Kaguya, is absolutely stunning, both from an animation standpoint and a storyline one. I would suggest doing all of Ghibli from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (it's what Larz and I are doing!), but if you want to just go for the good ones:

Princess Mononoke (1997)

Grave of the Fireflies (1988)

Only Yesterday (1991)

The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2013)

Howl's Moving Castle (2004)

Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)

Spirited Away (2001)

Those to me are the absolute, absolute unmissable ones. Like, 3 of those are from Takahata :P Then I guess there are the staples that you should watch as well (Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, the Yamadas, Arrietty).

You should seriously watch the entire filmography, though, there's hardly a bad one in the bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/blackmass/

Hoooly shit. This is gonna be fucking great. If you guys haven't seen the documentary on Netflix (Whitey: United States of America vs James J. Bulger) you guys totally should. And I'm sure you guys already know that Whitey Bulger was the person Jack Nicholson molded his character from in The Departed. I can't wait for this god damn movie.

• Like 1

If it was anybody but Johnny Depp I'd be all-in (especially since I am a sucker for gangster/crime movies) but because he's burned me so many times recently, I can't help but be wary.

Edited by livid
  • Like 1

Well, from his performance in the trailer, I can already tell this is more of the Johnny Depp of old. It's kind of like this great mix of intense Christopher Walken and Jack Nicholson. Not only that, but his performance has been getting a lot of positive praise by those that have already seen the film.

YouTube link cause Quicktime can be an asshole on Chrome.

• Like 2