Olympic & Paralympic Games London 2012

Starvinho

Guest mr. potato head

Here in Japan, for the 2008 Olympics I can GUARANTEE I had the opposite Olympic TV experience to you lot in the UK.

Well, ok, first week was the swimming, fine. A bit boring but at least we have some athletes there.

After that the entire Olympics coverage consisted of....

Judo

Taikwondo

Baseball

Softball

Greco-Roman Wrestling (which was the worst of everything)

Fencing

It drove me totally crazy. I love the idea of all these channels and all this choice and I will find a way to tune into them. None of this "not available in your territory" nonsense. I'LL FIND A WAY. I want a week of track and field, four days of cycling, highlights of rowing, football, badminton, sailing, shooting, archery.....all the proper stuff.

At least baseball and softball have been kicked out this year. About time too.

In 2008, we had about four different networks showing stuff on conventional TV, but CBC streamed absolutely EVERYTHING on its website (sans announcers sadly).

Right have since moved to a different conglomerate with more TV assets, so no idea if we'll get the same level of coverage. Still better than Americans who hold most of their stuff back to show it in prime time even if it happened 12 hours prior :lol:

Former Olympic triple jump champion Jonathan Edwards is happy the British Olympic Association's lifetime ban for drug cheats looks set to be overturned.

The BOA expects to lose its legal fight against the World Anti-Doping Association, which says drug-takers should instead receive a two-year ban.

Edwards, who won gold in 2000, said: "Athletes should get a second chance.

"[but] two years is simply not enough. The world needs to unite and introduce four-year bans."

The BOA by-law which bans athletes found guilty of taking drugs from competing at future Olympics has been in place since 1992.

However, Wada has ruled that the BOA's stance is unenforceable, believing athletes should be free to take part in all competitions once their initial suspensions have been served.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) heard arguments from both sides at a hearing in London last month and it confirmed in a statement on Monday that the decision will be published next week.

A ruling in favour of Wada would free the likes of sprinter Dwain Chambers and cyclist David Millar, who have both completed doping bans, to compete in the London Olympics.

However, the BOA has been backed by a number of athletes, including Millar's potential team-mate Sir Chris Hoy. and Lord Coe.

"I think it's really a bit of a non-issue because Dwain Chambers has been competing for UK Athletics for the last five years and David Millar has been competing with British Cycling for a large number of years," continued Edwards.

"He was team captain when Mark Cavendish won the World Championships so I don't think there is going to be any issue in terms of incorporating these athletics back into the team."

The ruling is set to be made this week. What are peoples thoughts on it? I fully agree with Edwards, I think the lifetime ban should be overturned, but two years is not enough. Making it four years would guarantee that the punishment procures them competing at the next Olympics at the very least.

My opinion is if you cheat (knowingly take a banned substance to improve your ability) you should be banned from professional for life. The problem with that in a lot of cases is proving they knowingly took the substance, so yeah it should probably be cut to 4... 2 isn't enough though.

Recreational drugs should be just a ban for a couple of years.

• Admin

Senegal have claimed the 16th and final place in the men's Olympic football tournament with a deserved 2-0 victory over Oman in an entertaining play-off match at the City of Coventry Stadium.

The Great Britain men's football team is expected to play Brazil in an attractive warm-up fixture for the London Olympics this summer.

Middlesbrough's Riverside Stadium will host the match in the week before the tournament, which starts on 25 July.

The draw for the men's and women's Olympic competition will take place at Wembley Stadium on Tuesday.

Stuart Pearce will coach the GB men's team while Hope Powell will lead the women's side.

The Football Association has not finalised the opposition for all of the warm-up games but the Brazil match could form part of a double-header.

It could occur on 20 July and may also feature the women's team facing Sweden.

The draw takes place on BBC Two from 11am tomorrow.

Probably being stupid as I'm unsure on how GB athletics pick the athletes for the games, but even if they lose this can't they just not call them up?

Footie wise, now praying Senegal are playing at SJP, and will probably get tickets for that match at the Riverside.

Possibly, but I'm not sure the views of the selectors match up with the views of the governing body. Plus, I'm not sure but if athletes reach the qualifying time that means they are in the squad, and I think Chambers for example has already achieved that qualifying time this year.

It is a very good question though, I'd like some clarification on it.

• Admin

WOMENS OLYMPIC FOOTBALL DRAW

Group E: Great Britain, New Zealand, Cameroon, Brazil

Group F: Japan, Canada, Sweden, South Africa

Group G: USA, France, Colombia, Korea DPR[/code]

The top two teams from each group and the two best third-placed teams qualify for the quarter-finals. Team GB Women play New Zealand and Cameroon in Cardiff on the 25th (tournament's opening game) and 28th of July, before playing Brazil in London on the 31st.

• Admin

MENS OLYMPIC FOOTBALL DRAW

Group A: Great Britain, Senegal, UAE, Uruguay

Group B: Mexico, Korea Reupblic, Gabon, Switzerland

Group C: Brazil, Egypt, Belarus, New Zealand

Group D: Spain, Japan, Honduras, Morocco[/code]

The top two teams from each group go through to the quarter-finals. Team GB Men play Senegal on the 26th of July, UAE in London on the 29th of July, and Uruguay in Cardiff on the 1st of August.

Just liked the camera panning past the people then and just seeing one of the guys fast asleep. Don't blame him tbh.

• Admin
GB men's coach Stuart Pearce says: "I am certainly looking forward to this summer. I wouldn't dismiss anyone in the group or teams coming here. It'll be tough - that's tournament football."

On David Beckham's star quality, Pearce says: "I would like to think everyone in the squad will have star quality. I'll know a bit more about David Beckham's chances when I go to the States and see him. He's been a great ambassador but that's no guarantee he'll get in the squad. I'm picking on form and merit alone."

"The addition of three overage players can contribute to a really strong side. It will be tough, tournament football always is.

"The squad may not reflect every home nation and celebrity but they will be the best 18 players who have the best opportunity to deliver a gold. That's my only criteria."

On ticket sales, Lord Coe says: "Today is a huge help because everyone knows who is playing, when they are playing and where they are playing. There are some great games. We're finishing our testing procedures which is why tickets are not on sale yet. The GB women's football team is very strong, in the top or three or four sides in the world, and this is a great opportunity to get behind them."

On David Beckham, Lord Coe says: "The team selection should absolutely be picked on merit. You don't select on a quota basis."

Team GB women's coach Hope Powell tells BBC Sport: "It will be a great game against Brazil. They are the tough team in the group. They are always there or thereabouts in major tournaments."

More from Powell: "We can't take New Zealand lightly. We played them in the World Cup and it was a tough encounter."

A slightly embarrassing moment though as Powell momentarily forgets who the third team in Team GB's group is. After being reminded that Cameroon make up Group E, she added: "Cameroon, we've never encountered before, so they're an unknown. I will definitely be selecting on form first, then those that want to play and those that are injury free."

Hope Powell tells BBC Radio 5 live: "As the actual opening event, it will be fantastic and a chance to raise awareness. It's now about preparing for soemthing that will be very unique."

Stuart Pearce tells BBC Radio 5 live: "You don't know what's an easy draw until the tournament starts. We don't know a great deal of UAE. I saw Senegal last night. I think it's all to play for. We're down to about 80 names. Some time in mid-May, we'll get that down to the actual squad. There's a lot of football to be played this season.

"Having spoken to a lot of players, I've sensed a willingness to be a part of the Olympics. Clubs have to look after themselves. But for the great of Great Britain, everyone has to get behind this team."

BBC Sport's Richard Conway on Twitter: "Stuart Pearce tells @gordonfarquhar Team GB squad named mid-May. 'Hopefully a full summer for me' - reiterates availability for Euro 2012."

I'm more concerned about UAE than Senegal truth be told. Pretty good youth set up, U19 won the AFC Championship 4 years ago so most of them will be around the mark for the squad. Depends what team GB put together as well.

EDIT: Will also be wanting success given this is their first Olympics football. That said they should be defeated by GB, I just wouldn't expect a walk in the park from what I've read.

Edited by IAceI