General Gaming Thread

TKz

50 minutes ago, Liam said:

Has anyone played Tetris Effect, preferably on the PS4?

Was just wondering if it was a game you could enjoy with the VR.

Is that the one with the Battle Royale mode?

3 minutes ago, 9 to 5 said:

Is that the one with the Battle Royale mode?

Nah, that's the one that is on the Switch. Tetris 99 I want to say?

This is the one which mixes the game up with lots of interesting audio/visual stuff. Very impressive to look at.

@Liam it's in my top 5 games of last year and easily one of the most visceral and impressive VR titles I've ever played. It's also every bit as good outside of VR if you just wanted a rad Tetris game.

It doesn't do anything particularly new with the core gameplay but it has possibly one of the best soundtracks in gaming and looks absolutely stunning.

If you already enjoy Tetris it's an absolute must have.

23 minutes ago, Ollie said:

@Liam it's in my top 5 games of last year and easily one of the most visceral and impressive VR titles I've ever played. It's also every bit as good outside of VR if you just wanted a rad Tetris game.

It doesn't do anything particularly new with the core gameplay but it has possibly one of the best soundtracks in gaming and looks absolutely stunning.

If you already enjoy Tetris it's an absolute must have.

Cheers. I liked it in theory but baulked at full price. It has begun to drop though so more tempted now.

I really need to make an MDickie diary one day. I fired up a new career as Luke Harper and after my first match, Paul Bearer and Kane sell me steroids, followed instantly by Road Dogg asking me to make him his mentor (so Harper comes out in Road Dogg's attire and uses his moves), I beat Mankind in a first blood match that world champion John Cena is using to pick his next challenger, beat Cena for the World title in week 3 and then Stephanie instantly changes me into a Dan Severn clone. That was THREE SHOWS in that game.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, apsham said:

I really need to make an MDickie diary one day. I fired up a new career as Luke Harper and after my first match, Paul Bearer and Kane sell me steroids, followed instantly by Road Dogg asking me to make him his mentor (so Harper comes out in Road Dogg's attire and uses his moves), I beat Mankind in a first blood match that world champion John Cena is using to pick his next challenger, beat Cena for the World title in week 3 and then Stephanie instantly changes me into a Dan Severn clone. That was THREE SHOWS in that game.

Oh MDickie you absolute madman. Now remembering my run as eight-foot tall spiky-haired homosexual David Otunga...

Anybody good at Chrono Trigger? I am stuck at the black tyrano.

9 hours ago, SeanDMan said:

Anybody good at Chrono Trigger? I am stuck at the black tyrano.

Oh gosh, it's been awhile. I feel like I remember killing the lizard buddy first, lots of healing to stay in the fight combined with a lot of lightning based stuff. 

Been playing through Arkham Asylum this weekend. Got about half way through. Damn I forgot how tight this game is. I could never really get into City or Knight because they just both felt too big and loose and far less interesting but Asylum deserves its place as one of the best superhero games of all time.

Fuck I miss linear narrative games.

• Like 3

Playing through Persona 5, and had my first tough boss fight in the second Palace (Madarame).

A bit frustrating because it had multiple stages, one involving multiple targets that could revive one another and also had overlapping weakness/strengths that meant I couldn't use group spells to take em out.

Also the boss had a nasty ability to make a party character weak to everything, and first time I got beat they just attritioned me into the ground until the pc ran out of mana for group heals.

Second time it was a tad easier, mainly because I knew about the strength/weakness overlap, but I still feel like I got a little bit lucky with who the ai focused on.

Also it feels pointless to have characters that have affliction spells, but they're useless when bosses are immune to any and all of them.

Definitely enjoying P5 thus far, even if the game gives me an existential crisis every time I need to choose how to spend the in game free time and my min-max brain goes into overdrive.

Whether I'll still enjoy the game at the end is another question too, because knowing P3, the game is sloggy as hell

• Like 1

I don't remember the fight as much as I remember Croc following you in the sewers and randomly popping out of the water to kill your ass if you misstep. 

Oh yeah, the rest of the game has been fantastic. There's a few mechanics that haven't aged all too well, like how slow the movement is and some frustrations with the controller layout but that's to be expected from a game ten years old and it rarely detracts from how much you feel like a badass. I'm going to pick up City again in a few months, hopefully I enjoy that more than I initially did.

See, I loved the open world aspect. I loved dropping in on crimes-in-progress and being all I'M BATMAN *smash* >_>

Also, the challenge maps. I wasted so, so many hours in Asylum and City doing challenge maps. I'll never get tired of stringing a guy up by his feet from a gargoyle statue, then waiting until his buddy's under him to cut the line and drop him on top of his buddy, knocking them both out.