Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

In fact, I don't understand why criminal charges haven't been brought against him because of the attack. It was clearly premeditated (hell, he confirmed that on twitter) and wildly swinging about could easily have caused a long term injury for a player who clearly wasn't expecting anything.

I know it's Joey Barton, but really, if he serves a 12 match ban then his punishment is over. Are we going to complain if QPR have a match rescheduled earlier because of a cup tie or something? There are loopholes for everything and I think you guys are only angry because Joey Barton is a twat.

What do the club they loan him to, get out of it? A fee, promise of a loan of a talented youngster when Barton goes back, or a cut price on another player they want?

Probably Joey Barton for a month, he returns to QPR at the same time but he doesn't have to spend a month getting match fit.

• Admin

One of the many charities I am sure that the FA officially support.

We drew 1-1 with LA Galaxy overnight, with Bale converting a Sigurdsson cross - but Walker and van der Vaart have apparently picked up injuries. Hopefully they aren't too severe.

Aston Villa needed a penalty shootout to win their pre-season friendly against Portland Timbers after the game ended in a 2-2 draw, Ciaran Clark and Matthew Lowton scoring for the visitors. Norwich beat Celtic 1-0 with Grant Holt netting a last-gasp winner, and Swansea lost 2-1 at the Colorado Rapids.

Nice to see the injury that ruled Bale out of the Olympics was fixed by a transatlantic flight isn't it? Wonder if he can achieve Giggs-esque ability in avoiding international football through his career.

Lots of them throughout last season, niggly ones. Which is why him having a full pre-season programme is imperative.

Lineker on Twitter: "Gareth Bale who pulled out of the Olympics through injury played for Spurs last night. Once in a lifetime opportunity thrown away. Baffled."

Lineker fight!