Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

17 minutes ago, livid said:

I mean...it's a teaser for a movie that doesn't come out for another 8 months and is still filming so I'm not really sure what people expected. You could argue that Sony could have waited longer to release a first trailer but with a big Marvel movie coming out this week it makes sense to let people know it's a thing later this year. 

I'm okay with what we saw. They just finished filming not too long ago, so post-production still has a ways to go. On top of that, they don't want to blow their load too early on the symbiote reveal simply because there is still such a long way to go before release.

My major gripe with the trailer was the lack of story explanation. What's the movie about? Some sweaty dude who gets experimented on?

I will be keeping a very close eye on this, because I love Tom Hardy, Venom is one of my favorite characters and I want to see this succeed. I'd prefer Marvel have the rights to the Spidey-Verse, but if Sony is intent on keeping that away from Disney, then I'd rather they pump out good flicks with consistency as opposed to delivering a solid movie or two and then completely fucking it up and rebooting (again).

I'm hoping the symbiote itself gets some massive love. Visually, I'd like them to try and take queues from the Alien franchise and other such body horror films to design and represent the Venom alien.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to say, four episodes into Black Lightning and I'm enjoying it. You can sort of tell its the same guys that are behind Arrow etc, though with a step up in budget / production. Main downside for me is the dialogue, which is really cringeworthy in places. Besides that I'm finding it a fun / intriguing watch. 

• Like 1

I find its mainly the lines written for Gambi that stand out tbh. Very cliche. 

I liked episode 4 a lot more than 3, overall I'd say the show has been pretty good so far. I gave up on Arrow three episodes in and never tried with Supergirl or Legends, so I'm enjoying keeping up with a non-Flash DC series. Only nitpick with it so far...

Spoiler

The causalities/people hurt inadvertently by Black Lightning have felt a little rushed, though I'm not sure how many episodes there are for this season.

On the positive side, though, I'm curious to see if Khalil will join Tobias, and I've liked Jill Scott a lot as the big boss.

Edited by Tyrone

The writing in this is so bad. That line of exposition in the cold open this week killed me.

just because you've got that serum that stops you aging pumping through your veins...

People don't talk like that.

I think I'm done with this show.

It got killed for me when Netflix took like three weeks to get episodes 2-4 up. I wanted to watch as it aired (I usually back up a second episode as pilots tend to be unreliable as far as how a regular episode goes), but poor word of mouth has killed it before it even started :(

5 minutes ago, Benji said:

It got killed for me when Netflix took like three weeks to get episodes 2-4 up. I wanted to watch as it aired (I usually back up a second episode as pilots tend to be unreliable as far as how a regular episode goes), but poor word of mouth has killed it before it even started :(

what do you mean? I'm watching on netflix and I haven't noticed it being delayed?

It wasn't showing for me for several weeks across multiple devices, so I assumed it was an issue Netflix's end?

Either way, it's killed off my interest anyway. I've already dropped Arrow and LoT this last couple of years because of superhero overkill, so I'm not going to weep about not getting into it, I'm more bummed because I hoped it would be good but word of mouth has said otherwise.

I dropped Arrow (too formulaic these days), Legends of Tomorrow (way too on the nose about being a comic book show for my tastes), never watch Supergirl live (wait until it hits Netflix) and I wasn't crazy about Black Lightning after the first episode so I didn't feel a strong urge to watch any of the following episodes. The only CW DC Comics show I watch regularly now is The Flash, because it has that perfect balance of being "grounded" but also still a faithful comic book adaption. Although, it helps that the big bad this season isn't another speedster, otherwise I probably would have dropped that too.

Now my CW viewing is limited to Flash, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Riverdale (when it hits Netflix). I'm going to check out Sabrina the Teenage Witch on Netflix when it debuts, but I don't know about that show being as dark as Riverdale is. To the best of my knowledge, the Sabrina reboot is the first TV/movie show that I've grown up with to be rebooted (besides Jumanji, I haven't seen that yet), so I don't know how I'll react to it.

Yeah, it was going to be on The CW. I don't know what happened, but it got moved/picked up by Netflix, and they ordered two seasons with 10 episodes each. Kiernan Shipka is Sabrina. I think the working title is "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina", based off the comic from a few years ago - or at least it was. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maxx said:

Yeah Sabrina is apparently going to have a much darker tone, more in line with the most recent comics.  Hopefully they stick with that idea.

I'm hoping it's going to be super over like Riverdale season 1 and the first half of season 2, and less like the utter blandness of the second half of Riverdale season 2.

Old Sabrina is one of the best TV shows ever. Can't say I care too much about a darker show.