2013 Major League Soccer Thread (aka The Ancient Mystical Society of No Timbers)

GoGo Yubari

ESPN reports the fee as $9million (~£6million). I only bring this up cause that basically means there was no net loss for Spurs on Dempsey. If it goes through, that's damn impressive for, as Niner says, a player on the wrong side of 30.

• Admin

ESPN reports the fee as $9million (~£6million). I only bring this up cause that basically means there was no net loss for Spurs on Dempsey. If it goes through, that's damn impressive for, as Niner says, a player on the wrong side of 30.

Z8kXG.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a great deal for all parties. Spurs aren't losing money, Dempsey himself is actually probably making more money, and Seattle is not only one of the only clubs in MLS who could possibly afford this move but also a club that desperately needed a player to do exactly what Dempsey's going to do.

There's a lot of talk about how this is bad for the US national team going into the World Cup because Dempsey will be playing in a weaker league when he could probably start for a good amount of EPL sides, but I think it'll be fine. He'll return to the Premier League during the winter like how Landon Donovan would go to Everton during the MLS offseason. In the meantime, he's playing with other guys on the US national team radar (Eddie Johnson, Brad Evans) and he's helping grow the league.

I was there live. Just incredible. Dempsey looked choked up at the reception he was getting.

Also, I love how pro wrestling the whole thing was. Playing his theme music, taking the hoodie off to reveal the Sounders jersey...

Now he's on the wrong side of 30 and blah blah ... whatever. This is huge, screw off with this shit.

He's still the wrong side of 30.

Spoil sport. He's only just 30 and just transferred from a top Premier League team.

Snark all you like it's still a massive transfer for the MLS.

• Like 3

Now he's on the wrong side of 30 and blah blah ... whatever. This is huge, screw off with this shit.

He's still the wrong side of 30.

Unless of course he'd have signed for Everton ...

NYRB has made some statements the last few weeks. SKC dominated the match last night but holy shit were NY deadly on the counter.

Seattle looked really good and Dallas looks to be fading really fast. OBA !!!!!!

And uh, DC spanking Montreal ? Ok, I'll take it. Conor Doyle had a really good match (g,a) in his debut.

Per IVES, Agudelo has signed a pre-contract with Stoke for January .... and NE looking into Saha and Charlie Davies as a replacement for him.

Apparently DCU has the discovery claim in for Zelaya (El Salvador wonderkid ... who is like 24) ... but interest from Europe is making talks difficult.

Kyle Beckerman has turned down an offer for a Bundesliga 2 side (team unnamed but believed to be St Pauli)

Omar will have to be a DP if re-signed because they used their retention funds on Juninho ...

Omar will have to be a DP if re-signed because they used their retention funds on Juninho ...

Grant Wahl basically said that was the plan in his article about how the Dempsey move happened. LA, basically the only other team he could have realistically joined, couldn't make a serious play to get Dempsey because that'd use up all their DP slots and without Gonzalez they're not a very good team.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/08/07/houston-dynamo-sign-honduran-international-alexander-lopez-young-designated-

Houston signs Honduran international Alex Lopez to a young DP contract. Great prospect and already played big matches for Honduras and Olimpia. Love these signings like this that keep rolling in.

Colorado has signed Vicente Sanchez

2013 US Open Cup final is almost David vs. Goliash-esque now as DC United have to travel to Rio Tinto to face RSL. I hope DCU can pull the upset because I do not want RSL to get Champions League money when they're as good as they are without it, but I'll be shocked at RSL winning.

Thank fuck Portland isn't in the final, though, and I don't mind Chicago's "Kings of the Cup" stuff not getting more fuel.