The New Kit Thread

1 hour ago, Naitch said:

I didn't realise that Southampton aren't sponsored by Virgin Media any more, despite watching their Boxing Day game against Chelsea. Have to agree that the actual sponsors look awful on this season's kits and those, albeit marginally better.

I think that's what's on the sleeve isn't it?

Just realised that Chelsea introducing a giant number 3 on the front of their kits means that I am absolutely required to buy my 3-year-old daughter one. The cunning swines.

• Haha 2

Yesterday Burnley had to wear a once off all-white kit against West Ham because all 3 of their kits were deemed to be a clash

image.png

image.png

You'd think having three different coloured shirts would be enough to plan ahead and avoid this, but obviously not. Especially considering both teams have the same kit manufacturer!

More blue maybe, Villa wearing white shorts? Different ref making the decision? Who knows really. They can be a bit particular. It's happened before in the Premier League. I remember Southampton had to make a white kit against Bournemouth when they had a black away and no 3rd kit. But to be in this situation when you already have 3 shirts and know your oppositions home colours is mad.

The worst was in the World Cup 2014 Spain vs Netherlands game, the one where RVP scored that header.

They deemed Spain's home and away to be a clash with both the Netherlands' kits, so they made Spain make a once off white kit. You had the weird situation where it was Spain in their white 3rd kit against the Netherlands' blue away kit.

1 hour ago, TCO said:

More blue maybe, Villa wearing white shorts? Different ref making the decision? Who knows really. They can be a bit particular. It's happened before in the Premier League. I remember Southampton had to make a white kit against Bournemouth when they had a black away and no 3rd kit. But to be in this situation when you already have 3 shirts and know your oppositions home colours is mad.

The worst was in the World Cup 2014 Spain vs Netherlands game, the one where RVP scored that header.

They deemed Spain's home and away to be a clash with both the Netherlands' kits, so they made Spain make a once off white kit. You had the weird situation where it was Spain in their white 3rd kit against the Netherlands' blue away kit.

Isn’t their away kit always white? 

1 hour ago, Benjamin said:

Isn’t their away kit always white? 

Usually but they wore a black and yellow one in 2014. Wore it in their 3-0 win over Australia. Wore a different kit for every match, which is the only time that's happened in a World Cup I would guess, as you're only allowed to submit two kits!

Australia 0 - 3 Spain - Match Report & Highlights

Spain vs. Chile: World Cup Group B Score, Grades and Post-Match ...

FIFA World Cup 2014: Why both Spain and Netherlands are not ...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Didn't they wear a dark blue away kit in 2010? I know they wore it in the final at least.

Yeah they had a few navy kits over the years too, including the 2010 WC! Black and luminous yellow was completely random though. Adidas fucked things up 2014 by having a weird insistence on one colour kits. So you had Spain with red shorts and Germany in with white shorts for some reason.

On 09/07/2020 at 09:58, TCO said:

Yesterday Burnley had to wear a once off all-white kit against West Ham because all 3 of their kits were deemed to be a clash

image.png

image.png

You'd think having three different coloured shirts would be enough to plan ahead and avoid this, but obviously not. Especially considering both teams have the same kit manufacturer!

Turns out this one actually had a happy good reason behind it, and one that should always happen given some recent shockers.

• Like 4

That's a really cool touch. I remember there was chaos when the Jets played the Bills in the first colour rush NFL game. It was a colour blind person's worst nightmare.

Jets-Bills uniforms a nightmare for color blind people | Larry ...

I think if a team is allowed have 3 kits then one of them should have to be white. It'd solve all kit clashes really because one-off kits are always white.

• Like 2