(Spoilers) The thread where CALIFORNIA LOOOOVE~!

Plubby

I'm so pissed that I live so far away from Montreal these days that I can't visit for a game. The atmosphere is going to be electric for the next round.

Yup. I went in April but was originally supposed to go around this time. Rangers - Montreal in Canada would have been nuts. They're already nuts in bars with their big screen tvs and DJ's playing during puck stoppages. I can only imagine what a live game would be like.

• Like 1

It's kind of a shame that, at this point, it looks like Iginla will retire without a cup. I've always liked him.

I always felt bad for the guy when he went to Pittsburgh expecting a cup and then they went and got swept for the team he turned down, on a goal that was deflected off his stick, too boot. :( Not to mention, Bylsma playing him in the wrong position. :bang:

Hey, at least Briere might get a cup this year, right?

• Like 2

I love the Lucic stuff. It's a real rivalry in pro sports these days, as opposed to a media-manufactured one. That's so hard to come by.

I had a track coach in college that always told us to "make it personal." That's exactly what's happening between the Canadiens and Bruins.

And Hewey, it'd be awesome to see Briere lift the cup. Dude has been a playoff phenom his whole career. He's another one that deserves it. But yeah, someone tell Iginla the Flyers could use a winger who can score.

• Like 1

Make it personal when the series is actually on, fine. That should be expected. In the handshake line after you've been beaten? Show a tiny bit of sportsmanship.

Truthfully I can't imagine a greater compliment going into the next round for a guy like Weise than "you made Milan Lucic lose his fucking mind".

• Like 4

I'm so pissed that I live so far away from Montreal these days that I can't visit for a game. The atmosphere is going to be electric for the next round.

Yup. I went in April but was originally supposed to go around this time. Rangers - Montreal in Canada would have been nuts. They're already nuts in bars with their big screen tvs and DJ's playing during puck stoppages. I can only imagine what a live game would be like.

Back in 2009-2010, I would visit Montreal every single weekend I could just to be in the city and see how nuts it is. I even caught a few games against Pittsburgh. I've been in other cities during the playoffs, and it is not the same vibe. The Vancouver Canuck riots a few years ago would be NOTHING in comparison to what would happen if Montreal made it to the Cup. Montreal fans are die hard.

Will anything happen to Lucic, like a fine or something? I mean, for a league that fines coaches a ton of money for way less, and fines players for squirting each other, it seems like Lucic should lose some cash over this. Telling a guy he was going to kill him is a bit much.

It's official. Dan Bylsma and GM Ray Shero are fired.

Dan Bylsma Fact File:

* His 43 career playoff wins are a franchise record.
* Led Penguins to 2013-14 Metropolitan Division title.
* Career regular-season record: 252-117-32.
* His 252 wins are a franchise record.
* Became fastest coach in NHL history to reach 250 wins (396 games) Apr. 3, 2014 at WPG.
* Led Penguins to a franchise-record 3-straight 100-point regular-season finishes from '09-10 to '11-12.
* Pittsburgh's 51 wins and 108 pts in 11-12 ranked 2nd in team history (56 wins and 119 points in 92-93).
* Became the winningest coach in team history with 233rd career win Jan. 7, 2014 at VAN.
* Led Penguins to a Stanley Cup championship in 2009.
* Won Jack Adams Award in '10-11 as the NHL's 'most outstanding coach'.
* 2014 U.S. Olympic Team head coach.

Edited by TGWL

Nothing against those two, but change was desperately needed. Bylsma seems like a good guy, I'm sure there will be a lot of teams lining up to get him, especially for his season records. Hell, maybe both go to Washington? His system just didn't work in Pittsburgh for the playoffs, and he couldn't/wouldn't make any adjustments. Next coach needs to go back to defense first, and next GM needs to get some depth and size for Pittsburgh.

No idea on who's going to be GM in Pittsburgh, and as far as coaches go, I've read everything from Mike Keenan, Jacques Martin and Mike Babcock. I don't know where people are getting Babcock from, I think he's still in Detroit for another year or two.

Babcock has 1 more year, I think. A lot of Toronto fans seem to think he's going there in a year also. I sure the Wings offer him an extension unless they miss the playoffs. No idea if he accepts but I can see him wanting to coach a high profile team and taking them to the cup.

Babcock has 1 more year, I think. A lot of Toronto fans seem to think he's going there in a year also. I sure the Wings offer him an extension unless they miss the playoffs. No idea if he accepts but I can see him wanting to coach a high profile team and taking them to the cup.

I've read that Babcock hasn't really committed to signing a extension, and the Red Wings might be wanting to bring in their guy from the minors. As for the Pittsburgh rumors, what I've read is that he's got a good relationship with Crosby and would like to coach him and Malkin. We'll see, but I'm sure everyone will be wanting him as a coach.

Looks like they're keeping Bylsma for now, until they hire a new GM. God, watch them want to give him another shot. :bang:

Sharks are changing things up. Burns is going back to D (unless they find a replacement) and Havlat it not coming back. I guess they're buying him out.

Re: Shero - just came across this in the comment section of the Deadspin article that (I think) I mentioned earlier. A Pens blog did an in-depth analysis of Shero's record at drafting forwards that I thought you guys might enjoy (or not enjoy, I guess :-P) http://thepensblog.com/2014-archives/shero-draft-piece.html

Both needed to go. Bylsma's had nothing but failures in the playoffs for five years straight. How many chances can they keep giving the guy?

While this is far, and I wouldn't have been surprised if he got fired either (which I woke up to two Canadian outlets reporting both were, only to have one two hours later say what was reported above.) He was the coach who got this core nucleolus of players to come together and win, and win when most of them were a lot younger, and a lot less experienced. This team just has too much talent on top, and if Fleury can get his shit together for one more post-season run. I think they got another cup or two in them with this squad and coach. Just need the right depth players to get them going, much improved defensive is of course at the top of the list.