What bands do you hate?

METALMAN

Fun memory. In High School I had an English teacher who asked everybody what their first CD was in an effort to get to know everyone. When I answered Mötley Crüe and the guy beside me answered AC/DC she gave us both the weirdest looks and asked what year we were born in.

You know what other bands I hate? Every single one of the shitty bands popping from my school

Fun memory. In High School I had an English teacher who asked everybody what their first CD was in an effort to get to know everyone. When I answered Mötley Crüe and the guy beside me answered AC/DC she gave us both the weirdest looks and asked what year we were born in.

At least people have heard of those bands. I can't even discuss music with most people I know.

Anyone who hates Metallica, Iron Maiden or Led Zeppelin can go fuck themselves.

But I agree about "Stairway" being overrated. Its not even the best song on the album. "When The Levee Breaks" and "Black Dog" are better, and you could also make a good case for "Rock N' Roll" and "The Battle of Evermore".

Metallica are absolute bollocks. One of the most over-rated bands of all time.

Led Zeppelin are talented, but also over-indulgent, cliché-riddled plagiarising cunts, and I could do without the vast majority of their discography.

Anyone insulting Captain Beefheart, The Fall or the Velvet Underground can go fuck themselves, unless you can point me to another band to have written anything even half as good as "Electricity", "Spoilt Victorian Child" or "Venus In Furs". You can't.

• Like 1

The only band I actively hate is Journey. I'd rather watch child abuse than listen to 'Don't Stop Believing' again.

I guess if I had to think about bands I wouldn't see in a million years, then The Killers, Green Day and My Chemical Romance would be the answer as I've avoided all three headlining at Leeds Festival and never once regretted it.

I don't like Jake Bugg as a person because he tries the tired 'pop artists are fake' routine, all while his songs are written by the guy from fucking Snow Patrol. Plus he sounds like a Buddy Holly tribute act.

I also don't get Bruce Springsteen and why everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) suddenly started to love him about a year ago. But that's more confusion than hate.

Yeah, I feel the exact same way. I really like Beefheart but I've never really got on with Trout Mask Replica. But that's the one you're always recommended to try first and it can kill him for a lot of people. It nearly did for me.

And yeah, I think universal U2 hate is over the top. I'm no huge fan, but they've had plenty of good singles.

I'd say the same for me. I felt similar to Deli up until recently. I thought Trout Mask Replica was silly and weird for the sake of being silly and weird without actually being good. It was Safe as Milk that I heard that converted me, its really a great album.

Deli you might be interested in checking out the album Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa did together. I'd figure a King Crimson fan would get into that sort of thing.

I never did get into Zeppelin much either, they were ok, Kashmere and the Immigrant song are decent, but I don't get down on them for using a lot of old blues tunes. A lot of bands borrowed shit without shame.

I love The Cramps, but holy shit, I'm not even sure they have a song in their catalog that wasn't ripped from an old rockabilly tune. I don't hold it against them though because they were great at what they did.

I think I hate The Who though. The earlier stuff is ok if you like British Invasion stuff, but that rock opera shit is awful. Plus, Pete Townshend is a creepy old fuck.

I hate AC/DC's musical style as well. I mean, like I said, it's inoffensive, but when people are way into them, it's like... they are not really even writing anything. This chord sounds good, so we'll play it three times, then we can't think of anything so we just won't play for three beats, and then we'll play more notes. MUSIC.

• Like 1

Ha. Angus Young said "I'm sick to death of people saying we've made 11 albums that sound exactly the same, In fact, we've made 12 albums that sound exactly the same".

It's that sort of thing that gives me a soft spot for AC/DC, more than their music. They don't take it as seriously as many of their contemporaries.

While I'm nowhere near a huge fan of the Beatles, I don't hate them, either. Though I do think a few of their songs, like "Paperback Writer" and "Taxman" are rubbish. My favorite Beatles song is "Strawberry Fields Forever", which surprises people. But I prefer the Whitesnake and Bee Gees (or was it Robin Gibb solo?) covers of "Day Tripper" and "A Day In The Life" and John Lennon's solo version of "Come Together" to the originals.

One band I can't believe I forgot to mention is the one band I loathe almost as much as the Insane Clown Posse: The Greatful Dead. I remember when the song "Touch of Grey" came out and was in heavy rotation on the radio and MTV (back when MTV actually, you know, played music!), and it about made me want to hurl. If there's any band that owes all its success to drug addicts and hippies, its them. I'm about convinced their fans are called "Deadheads" because you have to be brain dead or have your brain fried on drugs to enjoy them. If "drizzling shits" was in the Dictionary, it would say "see Greatful Dead". The only song they ever did that I could actually stand to listen to (and no, it doesn't mean i like it - it just doesn't make want to retch) is "Truckin'".

ABBA. `nuff said. Them being inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is a joke. I'm given free reign to refuse to play ABBA, because one of my bosses hates them as much as I do. (She also hates Duran Duran, though.....)

Type O Negative. Just about every song sounds the same, and from various conversations I've had with people about the band I can only surmise that their success was due to women having the hots for Peter Steele. I will play them if requested, but if someone requests "Black No. 1" I mute the music on my end until its over with. The only song by them I ever willingly play is their cover of Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl", and I only do that when I'm curious about what kind of reactions it will get or am doing a block of WTF?! type covers. (Meaning it'll be mixed in with Tom Cruise's cover of "Pour Some Sugar On Me", Love & Death's cover of "Whip It" and something by Richard Cheese, amongst other things)

Metallica's St. Anger album is awful, though.

Fixed your post. St. Anger is mostly rubbish (the only song I actually like on it is "Frantic"), but anyone who thinks their first few albums were awful needs their head examined.

Type O Negative. Just about every song sounds the same, and from various conversations I've had with people about the band I can only surmise that their success was due to women having the hots for Peter Steele. I will play them if requested, but if someone requests "Black No. 1" I mute the music on my end until its over with. The only song by them I ever willingly play is their cover of Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl", and I only do that when I'm curious about what kind of reactions it will get or am doing a block of WTF?! type covers. (Meaning it'll be mixed in with Tom Cruise's cover of "Pour Some Sugar On Me", Love & Death's cover of "Whip It" and something by Richard Cheese, amongst other things)

You don't like "Everything Dies", "I Don't Wanna Be Me" or "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend"?

You don't like "Everything Dies", "I Don't Wanna Be Me" or "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend"?

The closest thing to liking a Type O Negative song, is that I kinda dig Motus Tenebrae's cover of "Love You To Death".

The pigeon detectives.

People I know love them because they're local and for some reason that means you have to like them. Same with the cribs to a lesser extent, at least the cribs had a couple of alright tracks. Pigeons though are just dull as fuck and all their songs sound the same.

Cribs are amazing.! You're an idiot!

Yeah, The Cribs are fantastic, and are cracking live.

• Like 1