What bands do you hate?

METALMAN

5 hours ago, Benji said:

I'm kind of torn on Meatloaf. I think some of his stuff is great, but I also think he's absurdly over-rated in general. I don't dislike him, but he's the sort of musician where I care about his songs but don't find that transferring me to being a fan of him.

I think I'm of the same opinion. You could say that you took the words right out of my mouth, but I'm sure you'd rather not.

I have no time for any of Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, Adele, James Bay, Rag n Bone Man.....any of 'em really.

This is hard because it's not me being some kind of musical snob with regards to genre, as really good pop throughout the years is brilliant, however cheesy (case in point Abba who were legit brilliant at writing and performing amazing pop songs). I just find the singer-songwriters in the charts pretty uninteresting and personally I'm not enjoying that direction of music. There's plenty of decent new stuff around of all genres, although I am aware that now I'm old and mardy I'm prone to looking back to the "glory" days whenever they were.

But yeah, I find it uninspiring.

• Like 1

I have never even heard of Rag n Bone Man, but I'm sick to death of both Adele and Ed Sheeran, have only heard one song by James Bay ("Let It Go"), and only like one song by Sam Smith ("Latch").

Edited by GhostMachine

On 2/24/2018 at 01:06, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

I have no time for any of Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, Adele, James Bay, Rag n Bone Man.....any of 'em really.

I quite like Ed Sheeran but don't listen to him much because his songs are very overplayed. Adele is ok but not my thing. I wouldn't be able to identify the others' music but Sam Smith looks like he sounds very annoying.

Edited by Naitch

On 2/27/2018 at 08:56, Los Ingobernables De VP said:

I got in the car yesterday and Buckcherry was on the radio. I hate them.

I'm not exactly a big fan, either.

True story: When I DJ'd, with one exception, the only Buckcherry song anyone ever requested was Crazy Bitch. And every single time, it was a woman requesting it.

The one exception is a guy requested I'm Sorry once. ONCE.

Naitch has it right about Ed Sheeran. He's almost as overplayed as Taylor Swift. Adele's last good song was Set Fire To The Rain, and it wasn't as overplayed as her other songs have been. Especially the songs off her last album. (I never want to hear Send My Love To Your New Lover again, and only Hello I want to hear is the Lionel Ritchie classic.)

I've said it before with railing on Sam Smith, but since others have mentioning it.

I just hate this entire rage of the past few years to have 'sad' music. Stuff like Rag'n'bone, Sam Smith, Adele, James Bay, Ed Sherean. Just a shitload of funeral music that's frustratingly maudlin in their tone and message.

I like Adele and Ed Sheeran as artists, but their sadmcsadsad songs can all fuck off forever. They're a once-listen and then never listen again, the world's depressing enough to not have artists make it even more depressing with their shitty sad songs.

Adele's best songs are the ones that actually have a pace to them, fire to the rain, rumour has it, rolling in the deep, and so forth. The songs that don't just wallow in pity and sadness. Same goes for Sheeran, even though his songs are overplayed I do enjoy stuff like Galway Girl, Sing, Shape of You are more than enjoyable every once in a while.

But yeah, this whole 'sad' music stuff is lost on me, it only works to piss me off.

• Like 1

I somewhat agree with you about Adele and Ed Sheeran, but both get overplayed a ton. Around here, Sheeran gets overplayed almost as much as Taylor Swift, and I'd be satisfied if I never ever heard Castle On The Hill, Photograph or Thinking Out Loud again. On the other hand, Don't, Sing and Shape Of You I could still listen to over and over again. On the other hand, I'm just plain sick of Adele, period. Do not want to hear anything by her any time soon.

On 2/18/2018 at 00:02, Stick Stickly said:

Meatloaf

If you hear a Meat Loaf song "out of context" (Almost every Meat Loaf song tells a story through the whole album), I can get this.  The individual songs lose something without the wider story being told by the album

3 Meat Loaf songs I'll recommend you give a listen to, if you haven't already:

Paradise By The Dashboard Light - A must. You only listen to one of these recommendations, make it this one.

Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad.

I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)

If you can get through those, try:

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back

Rock And Roll Dreams Come Through.

Incidentally the Bonnie Tyler classic, Total Eclipse Of The Heart, was written by Jim Steinman, who wrote most of Meat Loaf's most famous songs. There were rumors it was written for Meat Loaf and he turned it down, but that isn't true. Steinman also co-wrote Tyler's other major classic (which I actually like more), Holding Out For A Hero. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think essentially it would have been a Meatloaf song though had he and Steinman not had their massive fallout that lasted over a decade, leading to Steinman working with other folk. I randomly fell down a Meatloaf hole (fuck off OOC) on Spotify the other day  and listened to Steinman's solo album, it's largely rubbish (Meatloaf songs with a bad singer don't work) though there's a few that were later done by Meatloaf, plus one that basically is Holding Out for a Hero with different lyrics. 

• 2 years later...
On 21/04/2020 at 17:13, metalman said:

I just heard a bunch of songs by Styx for the first time today.

Fucking hell.

Who else do you hate?

I think I've come to hate Green Day. Even songs of theirs I know I liked before annoy me to no end now.

Hate is a really strong word. And most of the names im going to mention, are common around here. But regardless
Radiohead: As with many, Ok Computer is good. In Rainbows i can tolerate. The rest i really dont care for. I do like Street Spirit for some strange reason
Nickelback: I don't need to elaborate further do i?
FFDP: This one is odd, i did like their first album. But the whole "Bro Metal/Support the troops" thing isn't for me. Also their cover of Gone Away, is so awful, that i struggle to listen to the original
Imagine Dragons: Look, they know how to get airplay and make money on sponsorshit. Can't knock the hustle. But god they remind me of aqua (the water, not the awful bubblegum band), no substance, wet af and pretty tasteless. 
Arctic Monkeys: There is a story here. Back around when their hype began, i worked at a record store. We would get music publications like NME, Mojo and so on. At one point, i had seen so many Arctic Monkeys cover stories (NME being the prime offenders) even before they released their album. Then the album dropped and apart from the first single and maybe Scummy i thought the rest was quite boring. 
The Strokes: The first album title say it all for me: "Is This it?". The album is solid. But from on there i just didn't care. I do get why people give them the label of being influential in that era in the early noughties. 
George Michael: All because of that song (you know which one) being played every fricking year at a certain time. Yes, i am that petty. 
My late father is gonna be fuming at me from the grave, but Grateful Dead never did anything for me. He did however do wonders with getting me into Springsteen, Little Feat, The Band and ironically enough New Riders on the purple sage (which had several GD members on board)
Oasis: Only song i can actually listen to of theirs is Whatever
Muse are disqualified, as i only found out about them in 2004 during the Absolution album span. 
Stereophonics: I cannot stand Dakota. And the rest of their stuff leaves me with an "eh" look. 
@lint pretty much stated how i view Volbeat. And they are from my country (at least 3/4 of them are)

I got plenty more where these came from

Not a fan of Radiohead. I especially hate Creep, because it seems to be the only song of theirs that anyone knows. The only song by them I like is Paranoid Android. Other than Creep and Paranoid Android, I have no feeling one way or the other about them.

The Grateful Dead are one of the most overrated bands I have ever had the displeasure to hear. 

George Michael I have no problem with,  but I get the hatred over "That Song". I prefer Limp Bizkit's cover of Faith over George's version, though, just because Fred Durst sounds perverted when performing it. Prefer quite a bit of his work in Wham! over most of his solo work.

Oasis, I think both Gallegher brothers are twats, but my favorite song by them is Champagne Supernova. Could happily go the rest of my life without ever hearing Wonderwall again.

i don't remember what lint said about Volbeat or if I commented on them before, but they're another band I got quite sick of when I DJ'd. Got requests for them a lot, and haven't listened to them much in the few years since I quit. My favorite song of theirs was (is?) their cover of Young The Giant's "My Body". They do get some cool points for the song Room 24 with King Diamond on it, and for covering Hank Williams' I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, though. And I feel the same way about Sad Man's Tongue as I do Wonderwall.