What bands do you hate?

METALMAN

I think I need to dig deeper into McCartney's music because to be perfectly honest I don't like much of his post-Beatles work, but it's not like I've listened to any single album start to finish other than Ram, which I only like a couple songs off of.

I have a special place in my heart for Ringo's music because he's so fucking honest about coasting off of being in The Beatles. Plus he wrote a song called "I Think Therefore I Rock & Roll" and fuck yeah.

ABBA should rightly go down as one of the greatest pop bands there has been. As a young lad of course I despised everything they stood for, but as I matured and realised that it's ok to like cheesy pop music if you want to, I realised that the songs are excellently crafted and catchy as anything.

Also Super Trouper was number one when I was born and that's a total choon.

• Like 3

• Admin

Pop is never cool, but always awesome.

Fun RW Fact - until I was 25 my mum always told my Super Trouper was number one when I was born. I then checked, and turns out it was actually Woman In Love by Barbara Streisand.

I don't get Metallica, because bleh.

RCHP are just dreadful, although they were once good.

AC/DC are terrible.

The Coronas make awful middle class white person music and this comes from a middle class person.

The Lighthouse Family, that's more middle class souless white person music! Yeah they're not relevant but who cares!

KISS are rubbish.

Muse never interested me.

I can't understand hate for The Velvet Underground. But I also can. It's weird. I'm more a John Cale than a Lou Reed guy.

I can't stand Nickelback or Creed, their brand of generic post-grunge shit doesn't deserve any praise because every song sounds like the last and none of them are particularly talented at what they do.

I despise Limp Bizkit, I just don't get what's so good about some wannabe rapping shite lyrics over a repetitive and rather irritating guitar riff.

The Sex Pistols are another band that just don't mean shit to me. They were just cartoon-punk managed by a blithering idiot who didn't know the slightest about music and their songs are just generic pseudo-anarchic shit, plus none of them could even play their instruments and Sid Vicious only played bass on one song on Never Mind The Bollocks.

Coldplay, don't even go there, just a whiny annoying high-pitched scum with boring chord progressions, boring tempos, mediocre lyrics etc.

I just can't listen to UB40. Most of their songs are just 'reggae' (not real reggae) covers of older songs, and they consider themselves reggae when they just don't have the emotion in their music.

I get the Nickelback hate, but I don't agree. Most of their slower songs suck, but when I DJ "S E X" usually gets a great reaction from the crowd, I have gotten requests from "Something In Your Mouth" (all by women, I might add) a lot lately, and I like to toss on "This Means War", "Side Of A Bullet" (which i call a `Nickeltera' song since its about Dimebag's murder AND features him on guitar thanks to his brother and girlfriend supplying the band with unreleased guitar tracks he laid down), and their cover of ZZ Top's "Sharped Dressed Man". I have taken "Shakin' Hands" and "Burn It To The Ground" out of rotation lately, though. And its been quite a while since I have played "Rockstar" or "Next Contestant", though.....

UB40 blows goats, by the way. And The Clash > The Sex Pistols. Johnny Rotten's other band, Public Image Ltd (or PIL) was much better.

I get the Nickelback hate, but I don't agree. Most of their slower songs suck, but when I DJ "S E X" usually gets a great reaction from the crowd, I have gotten requests from "Something In Your Mouth" (all by women, I might add) a lot lately, and I like to toss on "This Means War", "Side Of A Bullet" (which i call a `Nickeltera' song since its about Dimebag's murder AND features him on guitar thanks to his brother and girlfriend supplying the band with unreleased guitar tracks he laid down), and their cover of ZZ Top's "Sharped Dressed Man". I have taken "Shakin' Hands" and "Burn It To The Ground" out of rotation lately, though. And its been quite a while since I have played "Rockstar" or "Next Contestant", though.....

So what you're saying is that the people who listen to you when you DJ have terrible taste in music?

• Like 5

The Sex Pistols are another band that just don't mean shit to me. They were just cartoon-punk managed by a blithering idiot who didn't know the slightest about music and their songs are just generic pseudo-anarchic shit, plus none of them could even play their instruments and Sid Vicious only played bass on one song on Never Mind The Bollocks.

Yeah, that's not even close. Firstly, cartoon-punk? I don't even know what you're trying to say with that statement, what is cartoony about them? Do you mean they sound like the Dickies? Malcolm McLaren may have been a cunt, but he was successful in getting the Pistols name out there, and obviously helped shape much of the earlier punk fashion with his store "Sex". I'd hardly say he was a blithering idiot, he knew the right buttons to push.

The biggest joke of all is that they couldn't play their instruments. Nobody's going to compare Steve Jones to Jimi Hendrix, but he was very good with his style, similar to Johnny Ramone in that respect. The same goes for Paul Cook, he was a more than competent drummer. It also isn't any huge secret that Sid Vicious was a shit musician, but he arrived when the band was already on rocky ground anyway.

I remember reading a story about Sid Vicious actually. One night he took a bunch of speed and stayed up learning to play bass listening to the Ramones first album. By morning he had everything down and apparently was very dedicated to learning the instrument, that is until he met Nancy and heroin.

Nevermind the Bollocks was a great album, one of the best punk albums ever.

• Like 2

UB40 blows goats, by the way. And The Clash > The Sex Pistols. Johnny Rotten's other band, Public Image Ltd (or PIL) was much better.

I love "Side of a Bullet" so, so much. I actually like Nickelback alot in general though. I'm pretty sure between me and my Dad we have all their albums. The insane Nickelback hate I see online has always come off as people wanting to say they dislike something popular/successful just to be "cool". Kinda feel that way about all the shitting on Five Finger Death Punch that I've been seeing lately too.

I think I need to dig deeper into McCartney's music because to be perfectly honest I don't like much of his post-Beatles work, but it's not like I've listened to any single album start to finish other than Ram, which I only like a couple songs off of.

I think I'd agree that McCartney easily had the best solo career out of all the Beatles. And that goes for when they were all alive too. I mean, it was by no means exceptional, but it wasn't short of good music. I'd honestly recommend giving Ram another go. I used to be a bit uninterested in it too but I'd probably now say it is the best Beatles solo album.

You might also want to give McCartney If only for Every Night. I also like the albums done under The Fireman banner. Chaos and Creation In The Backyard is a good recent one. I also like Flowers In The Dirt, which he did with Elvis Costello, but it's a bit of an acquired taste.

I could name a few more, which is alright considering John and George each have one good album and two half decent ones to their name. Oh and I like Blast From Your Past too actually.

I love "Side of a Bullet" so, so much. I actually like Nickelback alot in general though. I'm pretty sure between me and my Dad we have all their albums. The insane Nickelback hate I see online has always come off as people wanting to say they dislike something popular/successful just to be "cool". Kinda feel that way about all the shitting on Five Finger Death Punch that I've been seeing lately too.

Of course. I'm just a hipster and can't appreciate the lyrical genius of "100 Ways To Hate" or "My Own Hell". But now that i've thought about it. Five Finger Death Punch has a groundbreaking blend of angry metal and angsty metal. And the demon screams really compliment their strong, thought provoking lyrics. such as

Hate the way you pussies talk shit, hiding on the web

Just the fact you think you know me makes me fucked up in the head

Hate your nails, hate your hair, hate the fact I even care

Hate the way you said you loved me but you fucking weren't there

and don't forget...

I'm a red blooded

Rough neck

Son of a bitch

I'm a goddamned

American capitalist

I've got a kill 'em all

Give a shit

License to hate

I'm that one shot

One kill

Bringer of pain

Now it's clear that i'm just trying to be cool by hating bands like this. I feel like such an arsehole now.

• Like 5

Most of the bands I dislike are through pure association. While I'm no fan of acts like The Prodigy, Pendulum and Paramore, I've had bad experiences being around their fans at a couple of festivals. I've no doubt most of them were probably fine, but the ones who stuck out to me were those whose idea of moshing, a practice I'm not all that keen on at the best of times, was either to push whichever innocent bystander happened to be nearby or to swing their fists wildly in the air. It's unfortunate that I have that association with these bands, but it's things like these that can make the difference between finding a band to one's mild distaste and outwardly disliking them.

To go back to what's already been said about die-hard Beatles fans, what I'm not keen on is when fans of older bands lambast those who don't share their love for said groups on the grounds that other acts that emerged afterwards couldn't have existed without their influence. I get the idea behind accepting a band's historical legacy, but that shouldn't mean that you can't judge them on their own merits, influential or not. A bad band is still a bad band, regardless of how many 'better' bands it inadvertently inspired.

If I hated bans on the basis of their fans I would hate every band.

Fair point. I'm talking more about bands I already disliked, but whose fans drove me over the proverbial edge. Irritating fans of bands I like are still annoying, but they don't stop me from liking those bands in any way.

Of course. I'm just a hipster and can't appreciate the lyrical genius of "100 Ways To Hate" or "My Own Hell". But now that i've thought about it. Five Finger Death Punch has a groundbreaking blend of angry metal and angsty metal. And the demon screams really compliment their strong, thought provoking lyrics. such as

Hate the way you pussies talk shit, hiding on the web

Just the fact you think you know me makes me fucked up in the head

Hate your nails, hate your hair, hate the fact I even care

Hate the way you said you loved me but you fucking weren't there

and don't forget...

I'm a red blooded

Rough neck

Son of a bitch

I'm a goddamned

American capitalist

I've got a kill 'em all

Give a shit

License to hate

I'm that one shot

One kill

Bringer of pain

Now it's clear that i'm just trying to be cool by hating bands like this. I feel like such an arsehole now.

Here is the thing. Did I say a damn thing about you or anyone here specifically? No I didn't.