Formula One 2014

Lineker

• Admin
Members of staff at a Formula 1 racing team factory had to be taken to hospital after a fire.
The blaze in Caterham F1's machine shop at the Leafield Technical Centre, in Witney, broke out at about 22:45 BST on Wednesday.
South Central Ambulance Service took seven people to hospitals in Oxford and Swindon for checks after they inhaled smoke.
The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, the fire service said.
A team spokesman said all but one staff member had been released from hospital.
He added: "The remaining member of staff will stay in hospital for further checks, but his condition is reported to be OK.
"An investigation into the cause of the fire started this morning and the machinery affected is already operational.
"Steps will be taken to ensure this type of incident does not happen again."
Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service described the scene as a "heavily smoke logged, single story building".
Incident commander Paul Molloy said: "The swift action of the crews ensured that the fire was confined to a milling machine."
Four fire engines from Burford, Witney, Rewley Road in Oxford, and a vehicle from Eynsham, attended the fire.
The Caterham F1 team is currently preparing for the weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix.
The team, formerly known as Lotus, moved to Leafield from a factory in Hingham, Norfolk, in 2012.

• Admin
Michael Schumacher is showing 'moments of consciousness' his manager revealed on Friday, amid signs of an improvement in his condition.
The seven-time world champion remains in hospital in Grenoble as he recovers from the serious head injuries he suffered in a skiing accident last year.
Schumacher has been in a medically induced coma for the past three months and doctors are continuing to work on the long process of waking him up.
In a statement issued on Friday, Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm revealed that there were now encouraging signs about his condition.
"Michael is making progress on his way," said Kehm. "He shows moments of consciousness and awakening.
"We are on his side during his long and difficult fight, together with the team of the hospital in Grenoble, and we keep remaining confident.
"We would like to thank you all for the continuous sympathies. At the same time we again ask for understanding that we do not intend to disclose details.
"This is necessary to protect the privacy of Michael and his family, and to enable the medical team to work in full calmness."

So, I just thought of a comparison and wondered what people thought: Nico Hulkenberg is this generation's Heinz-Harald Frentzen. Always impressive, probably will win a handful of races in his career, but never at the right team at the right time to fully capitalise/constantly having to change teams.

• Admin
Adrian Sutil will start from the back of the Bahrain Grand Prix grid after being hit with a penalty for impeding Romain Grosjean during Formula 1 qualifying.
The Bahrain Grand Prix is to remain a night Formula 1 race, the circuit boss has confirmed.

Adrian Sutil will start from the back of the Bahrain Grand Prix grid after being hit with a penalty for impeding Romain Grosjean during Formula 1 qualifying.
The Bahrain Grand Prix is to remain a night Formula 1 race, the circuit boss has confirmed.

Correct call on Sutil. No idea what he was thinking.

As for the race, I can't see anything other than a Merc 1-2 and the battle between Rosberg and Hamilton should be closer than last week. I'd like to see a Williams on the podium (Bottas) but it could be any Mercedes engine powered car, really.

Correct call on Sutil. No idea what he was thinking.

I actually don't think it's harsh enough, he was 18th already so he only loses 4 places instead of the 5 he should be losing. I say pit-lane start or stop-go during the race would be fairer, although I guess that Grosjean not being that impeded in the sense he still got through probably worked in Sutil's favour.

Yeah, I think you're right. Towards the end of last season, a couple of backmarkers were given drive-thrus at the start of the race. A five second stop-go would have been a good idea, allowing Sauber to work it into their first pit stop.

Can someone please just ban Maldonado permanently? Maybe we can organise a KickStarter to raise funds so that Paul DiRiesta can become a Venezuelan citizen to keep the Venezuelan money coming in.

Safety car is going to hand Rosberg the victory it seems.

EDIT: Or not. Hell of a race, Ricciardo really looks the real deal.

Incredible race. One of Hamilton's best ever. Great drive from Nico aswell provided some great racing. I thought the safety car had handed it to Nico but somehow Lewis managed to keep him behind.

Pleased for Perez although I'd love to have seen Hulk on the podium. Awesome stuff from Ricciardo aswell and props to Vettel for letting him through when the team asked him to. The Ferrari's look nowhere though and they'll need huge upgrades for Spain, if not before.

Maldonado can just fuck off. If he doesn't get at least 6pts on his license, I'll be very disappointed. That was awful to see and these new noses appear to have made things worse.

That 720 degree flip by Guitterez, jesus. The Sky commentators were debating whether the stewards could give Maldonado all 12 endorsement points in one go. I don't see why not myself, that was ridiculously dangerous.

And yeah, that was an awesome race. I thought Nico had it in the bag with the softer & fresher tires but I'll give some credit to Hamilton, he did well to keep in front. Absolutely delighted for Sergio Perez & the Force India team, and Daniel Riccardio looked like a real star again. I assume he'll be allowed to keep his 12 points this time <_<