Formula One 2014

Lineker

I didn't realise until today that Vettel had been with Red Bull Racing, in one form or another, for 15 years. That's pretty insane when you think about it. Not surprised that he's moving on but I am bit surprised at the timing: it was heavily speculated that Alonso would be the first driver to announce a move/departure but in the end Christian Horner stole his thunder during his interview with the BBC. It's too early to tell if Vettel going to Ferrari is a good move or not, but given that Ricciardo has been outperforming him on a consistent basis it was probably time for a change of scenery.

I'm very concerned where this leaves Jenson Button though. With Alonso likely moving to McLaren that means at least one of those guys have to go, and Ron Dennis has proved in the past he has no qualms about giving former world champions the boot. He may retire altogether, which would be a shame, but perfectly understandable given the death of his father at the start of the season: sometimes I'm not entirely sure his heart's been in it this year

Well, maybe Horner was full of shit, and Vettel is going to Porsche WEC just to show up Webber again. :P

Jenson leaving seems to be what's happening now, but I can't blame McLaren for going after Alonso who has been amazing in a shit Ferrari this year. And Jenson, well his past three seasons have been shit to say the least, and I'm sure he doesn't come cheap either.

Where that leaves Jenson, at the best he would have a spot in a mid-tier team, which would continue the purgatory for him. Or he could decide to retire from F1 and go maybe the WEC route since that series has been gaining steam in terms of talent.

It's going to be weird seeing Vettel at Ferrari though, it's been so ingrained that he's a ''Red Bull'' guy, having been with them his entire career (and he's only 27 still!). But I can understand him wanting a new challenge, and Ferrari is certain to be a team that wants to get back to the top, and Vettel could be just that guy to help them reach that again.

But I'm sure the carousel hasn't stopped spinning though. I find Kimi to be a big ''if'' in the Ferrari picture, he hasn't been performing all season long. But on the other end, he's a great communicator when it comes to pit crew, and I'm sure Ferrari wants him around for just that expertise of being able to relay accurate information about the car itself.

Also, apparently Sainz Jr. will get his shot anyways, now that Daniil becomes #2 at RBR, the spot at STR seems to be destined for Sainz. Which will be an interesting pairing next year, Verstappen and Sainz are two of the highest touted drivers right now, so that rivalry will surely be interesting.

Then you have the Sauber quagmire, still no points and well on track to end the season without a point to show for their efforts. There have been rumours that they want to replace Sutil with van der Garde. Which would mean we would get 2 dutchmen in F1! And as a Dutchman myself, that'd make me very excited.

And then of course there's Caterham, and I would be amazed if they finished the season right now.

Well, maybe Horner was full of shit, and Vettel is going to Porsche WEC just to show up Webber again. :P

Jenson leaving seems to be what's happening now, but I can't blame McLaren for going after Alonso who has been amazing in a shit Ferrari this year. And Jenson, well his past three seasons have been shit to say the least, and I'm sure he doesn't come cheap either.

Where that leaves Jenson, at the best he would have a spot in a mid-tier team, which would continue the purgatory for him. Or he could decide to retire from F1 and go maybe the WEC route since that series has been gaining steam in terms of talent.

It's going to be weird seeing Vettel at Ferrari though, it's been so ingrained that he's a ''Red Bull'' guy, having been with them his entire career (and he's only 27 still!). But I can understand him wanting a new challenge, and Ferrari is certain to be a team that wants to get back to the top, and Vettel could be just that guy to help them reach that again.

But I'm sure the carousel hasn't stopped spinning though. I find Kimi to be a big ''if'' in the Ferrari picture, he hasn't been performing all season long. But on the other end, he's a great communicator when it comes to pit crew, and I'm sure Ferrari wants him around for just that expertise of being able to relay accurate information about the car itself.

Also, apparently Sainz Jr. will get his shot anyways, now that Daniil becomes #2 at RBR, the spot at STR seems to be destined for Sainz. Which will be an interesting pairing next year, Verstappen and Sainz are two of the highest touted drivers right now, so that rivalry will surely be interesting.

Then you have the Sauber quagmire, still no points and well on track to end the season without a point to show for their efforts. There have been rumours that they want to replace Sutil with van der Garde. Which would mean we would get 2 dutchmen in F1! And as a Dutchman myself, that'd make me very excited.

And then of course there's Caterham, and I would be amazed if they finished the season right now.

I'd be excited too, but it's Van Der Garde. :shifty:

I'd be excited too, but it's Van Der Garde. :shifty:

Still better than Doornbos and Albers, the latter who'se ''best'' moments came when he 1: Got flipped by Yuiji Idea, 2: Drove away with a fuel hose attached, and 3: Once took out himself and Schumacher on the parade lap.

The former had no best moments, because his 11 races were completely unremarkable.

• Like 1

Vettel was with Red Bull for 15 years as most young guys going through the Red Bull system get signed to 20 year contracts. That is why he had to use an early contract release clause to get out of his contract as he still had five years to go on it.

• Like 1

If you missed Daniel Ricciardo being THE LORD OF THE PASS, then yes, yes you have.

Passing the Williams' along with Vettel? No, I saw that. :w00t:

• Like 1