Formula One 2014

Lineker

Fucking hell.

EDIT: Honestly, it's a testament to F1's safety these days that he wasn't killed instantly by that. I think everyone imagined that it was a lot...I don't want to say "less violent" than that, but Sutil saying he went under it sideways probably *would* have been less violent.

Jesus fucking Christ. I had no idea he went in so fast, but I guess it was 130R. That marshal was so lucky not to get absolutely obliterated as well.

Kats is right, it's a miracle he wasn't killed on impact.

Actually it was Dunlop Curve, which is turn 8 after the S curves.

And it's crazy to think that he would have walked away from the crash unharmed if he had smashed straight into a barrier instead. Or straight into the crane at that. But because of the freak chance that he went sideways under the back of the truck he hit his head instead.

And like Kat said, it's a true testament to modern safety measures that he wasn't killed outright. His helmet and the HANS system no doubt have saved his life.

Now we all hope that he fights through it and comes back without any issues like Massa did in 2009.

Edited by Jasonmufc

The only thing I can think is that it didn't hit him full on in the face - which would explain why the helmet and visor were still mostly intact. It might have been that he was just low enough for it to hit the top of his helmet and that's what saved him. It's the rear of the car (the rollhoop backwards) that took the worst damage because that was just higher up. The front actually just slid under...

I saw that as part of a mobile phone video earlier and it's even worse at full speed.

Watching the race, I thought a safety car would come out and even said to my Dad - "If someone has gone of these, another could easily follow him in." I never actually believed it would end that badly though.

A statement from the Bianchi family about Jules.

MEDIA INFORMATION │ 7 October 2014

A Statement from the family of Jules Bianchi Yokkaichi, Japan 7 October 2014, 23.00hrs local/15.00hrs BST

The following statement is provided by the family of Jules Bianchi, in conjunction with the Mie General Medical Center, and is distributed on their behalf by the Marussia F1 Team.

“This is a very difficult time for our family, but the messages of support and affection for Jules from all over the world have been a source of great comfort to us. We would like to express our sincere appreciation.

Jules remains in the Intensive Care Unit of the Mie General Medical Center in Yokkaichi. He has suffered a diffuse axonal injury and is in a critical but stable condition. The medical professionals at the hospital are providing the very best treatment and care and we are grateful for everything they have done for Jules since his accident.

We are also grateful for the presence of Professor Gerard Saillant, President of the FIA Medical Commission, and Professor Alessandro Frati, Neurosurgeon of the University of Rome La Sapienza, who has travelled to Japan at the request of Scuderia Ferrari. They arrived at the hospital today and met with the medical personnel responsible for Jules’ treatment, in order to be fully informed of his clinical status so that they are able to advise the family. Professors Saillant and Frati acknowledge the excellent care being provided by the Mie General Medical Center and would like to thank their Japanese colleagues.

The hospital will continue to monitor and treat Jules and further medical updates will be provided when appropriate.”

Prognosis of Diffuse Axonal Injury
It is thought that diffuse axonal injury can occur in just about every level of severity, with concussion thought to be one of the milder forms. In mild to moderate forms of diffuse axonal injury, recovery is possible, with the mildest forms of diffuse axonal injury often resulting in few if any long-term issues.

About 90% of survivors with severe diffuse axonal injury remain unconscious. The 10% that regain consciousness are often severely impaired.

:(

• Admin

1412756065.jpg

Azerbaijan has unveiled the Baku circuit layout that will host the European Grand Prix in 2016, when Formula 1 will make its debut in the country.
Baku announced a deal to host a F1 race earlier this year, and the event was officially launched on Tuesday.
Hermann Tilke has designed an all-new 3.766-mile street circuit for the F1 event.
"Obviously street circuits present a number of challenges, in terms of circuit design, but we have been able to incorporate some unique features that will provide the teams and fans with fascinating racing," said Tilke.
"For example, there will be an extremely narrow uphill section at the old town wall that will reward pinpoint accuracy and courage, and we have an acceleration section of almost 2.2 kilometres [1.4 miles] along the promenade which will see the cars running flat out at very high top speeds - something that will create an incredible spectacle for the race fans on track and the viewers at home."
The circuit will run across the historic city centre and the seaside promenade.
"This is a very exciting milestone for everybody involved in the Baku European Grand Prix and I would like to thank Mr Ecclestone for taking the time out of his very busy schedule to come and help us unveil the newest F1 circuit to join the world's most exciting sport," said Azerbaijan's minister of youth and sport Azad Rahimov.
"Now the next phase of hard work begins and we are all excited about seeing the circuit evolve over the coming months.
"We know there will be challenges... [but] we know we will deliver a spectacular event in 2016 that will add to Azerbaijan's well-earned reputation as a modern European country that is the perfect venue for the planet's highest profile sports and entertainment events."
Baku's initial forays into international motorsport with rounds of the FIA GT and Blancpain Sprint Series used shorter versions of street layouts around the city. The Blancpain season concludes with this year's Baku event on November 1-2.

"Modern European nation" says representative of Ilham Aliyev, de facto dictator of Azerbaijan who inherited the post of President from his democratic government overthrowing father, Heidar.

"Modern European nation" which frequently employs torture, forced disappearances, arbitrary arrests and intimidation of opponents and censorship of free press.

"Modern European nation" that builds a cult of personality around its leader and has banned an entire nationality from entering the country (better hope we don't get an Armenian F1 driver).

Fucking hell.

Marussia are debating whether or not to have a second car in the Russian Grand Prix this weekend, Alex Rossi will get the drive if they do.

I don't have a problem if they do if only to make sure they secure their full sponsorship agreements, plus there's a side of me which says that not sending out 2 cars should be reserved for when someone dies and not sending a second car out doesn't sit right with me when Bianchi is still very much alive.

Well, it sounds wrong. But I feel that Marussia simply needs to send out Rossi and have him do his thing, it's simply the right thing to do, and being a racer himself Jules wouldn't begrudge it happening either.

That's the way the sport works. If Rooney breaks his ankle, Man Utd doesn't send out ten men until he's fit. The team still needs to fight to keep themselves on 9th place, and it's not like Alex Rossi is doing a congaline for having to replace Jules.

Again, all thoughts go out to Jules regardless of it being 2 cars or 1 car. It also doesn't do Jules any service if Marussia sends out one car, and a team like Sauber gets a chance to overtake them in the WDC, nullifying those 2 points Jules got in Monaco.

Alex Rossi might be the most unlucky lucky driver there is. He gets to drive in F1, but he gets to do it knowing that he has to replace a guy whos'e in Japan lying in a coma.

But again, it's how the business works. Cars need to be driven, and Rossi is the guy that has the dubious honour of taking the drive.

The sad thing is that if Bianchi hadn't scored those points in Monaco that Marussia wouldn't even be considering not sending out the second car, if they still had zero points then only running one car could cost them millions of dollars at the end of the season.