Formula One 2014

Lineker

God, glad to hear that. But I feel sick to the bone.

I kept away from news until I had watched the race. And I thought it weird to see the ambulance come out apparently for Sutil, cause you couldn't see Bianchi or his car from the angle they were showing. And then you realise what happened and ... fuck.

I also felt that the race itself just felt... ominous from the get go. Seeing Ericsson spin during the SC laps really made me wonder if the race was even safe. And then the race ends with such an awful thing...

I still feel dulled after what happened, It's hard to comprehend. I really hope Jules is gonna pull through this.

I noticed Bianchi tumbling down the race order but just assumed he'd gone off somewhere else because of the weather and that was why the safety car came out. Then the medical car came out too and they kept randomly showing shots of Marussia and it sort of clicked that maybe he's been involved there. Twitter and the Bianchi graphic popping up confirmed it too then.

His helmet looks in tact though - as does the visor. If the entire car went under the tractor then surely they'd be damaged too. I have a feeling (and I realise it's pointless really to speculate, but I'm clutching at straws to justify that he'll be okay) that the rear of the car went under the tractor and his head slammed in to the side of the wheel or something, but not like Maria de Vilota where it was head on.

Apparently Mika Salo said his head hit the crane., which I assume they mean the lifting part of the tractor, which would lend credence to the back going under and it stopping just before the safety cell

Bad weekend. It's coming out former F1 driver Andrea de Cesaris died in a motorcycle accident over the weekend :(

Also there are reports that Bianchi has had to be intubated and will require a second operation to stop cerebral hemoragging

There are calls that Suzuka should be dropped from the calendar because as an "old" circuit it doesn't have the same safety features as the modern tracks.

As if the circuit had anything to do with the torrential rain and the complete fluke of a car spinning off and hitting a recovery vehicle. Suzuka is a great track.

• Admin

Why on earth did they not put out a safety car to get sutils car off track? Madness.

A safety car being out may have well not stopped him losing control of the car and going off as he did. It was an outrageous decision not to move the race earlier though. The excuse of "letting the fans all arrive" is a weak one as Japanese superfans always get into the stands extremely early.

All we can do now is cross everything and hope that Jules pulls through this OK.

Not that it matters at all at this point but I suppose we'll see Alex Rossi complete the season for Marussia now. That team has had such horrible fortunes since its inception - first María de Villota and now this. :(

Just to change things up from the really depressing news of the day, can I ask you guys what you think about the discussions of three car teams that have been banded about?

Personally I would absolutely love this, more cars on the grid means more action all over the track, qualifying becomes significantly more interesting, there would be more chances for drivers with actual talent to get a drive (i.e. you can have your pay driver(s) AND a talented driver in your team), plus it would open up more sponsorship for teams with more drivers so we may also get more teams involved as well.
I really hope it happens but I get the feeling there will be too many nay-sayers.

Three car teams are only going to end up in a drama clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Rosberg and Hamilton have a hard time working together already, throw in a third star in there and no one knows what to do anymore.

I hate to be a stickler for ''tradition'', but 2-driver teams are just the norm for me, and I can't see an F1 where that's different. I rather see 4 backmarker teams getting lapped every week rather than see a team like Mercedes sweep the entire podium every week.

Two is just right, it allows for at least two teams to hit the podium, and it allows for the tried and true team competition to flourish just enough.

It's just another one of Bernie's hairbrained ideas, and a desperate attempt to get media attention back to F1... And given what happened yesterday, he doesn't need more attention.

2 things about what Lineker said about the race not bring moved earlier:

1) the train ticket times to get to Suzuka are printed on the tickets, you can't arrive earlier, a significant number of fans were due to arrive just an hour before the race.

2) had the race been started earlier the same thing could have happened. 2 hours before Bianchi's accident we had the rain that caused the start to be under a safety car and which brought out a red flag, starting it at its likeliest, earliest point (local time 1pm) would have meant the race would have ended in very similar conditions

• Admin

Didn't know about the train ticket time thing, but Sutil has suggested that the rapidly fading light was a factor in the crash. This is a photo of all the cars after being pulled into the pit lane at the end:

8PqC9Lm.jpg

Just a few minutes off a night race tbh.

But anyway. None of this really matters right now. Just desperate for some good news on Jules.