The Barclays Premier League Thread 2014/2015

brenchill

Dreading this trip to WHL.

Liverpool really need a convincing win here.

Because you did so badly last year... :shifty:

I know, I know. But I'm basing the start of this season as 'as long as Liverpool do as good as these games last season'.

Beating Southampton means the team are 3 points up on the two games last season. Spurs away is the first test to keep that going.

The difference between us last year compared to now seems to be night and day, so far anyway.

That said we'll probably lose 3-0 or something <_<

I'd still say with regards to Spurs, stealing a win against West Ham and smashing relegation favourites isn't much of a measuring stick

• Like 1

Dreading this trip to WHL.

Liverpool really need a convincing win here.

Because you did so badly last year... :shifty:

I know, I know. But I'm basing the start of this season as 'as long as Liverpool do as good as these games last season'.

Beating Southampton means the team are 3 points up on the two games last season. Spurs away is the first test to keep that going.

The difference between us last year compared to now seems to be night and day, so far anyway.

That said we'll probably lose 3-0 or something <_<

I'd still say with regards to Spurs, stealing a win against West Ham and smashing relegation favourites isn't much of a measuring stick

That win against West Ham was so important for us, because it was the kind of game we lost last year, in the sense that we went down to 10 men and didn't capitulate (and in the sense that was lost to West Ham 3 times last year). And, again, last year we didn't smash any of the relegation favourites. We'd dominate and fail to score.

But yeah, this is our first big test. I'm obviously hoping for a win, but it'd be nice to just improve on last year. :P

• Like 1

• Admin
Mario Balotelli is thrown straight into the Liverpool starting XI by Reds boss Brendan Rodgers. He replaces Philippe Coutinho in one of three changes from Monday's defeat at champions Manchester City. Spanish full-back Javier Manquillo and France centre-back Mamadou Sahko are the other new faces, coming in for injured pair Glen Johnson and Martin Skrtel.
Liverpool: Mignolet, Manquillo, Moreno, Lovren, Sakho, Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Sterling, Sturridge, Balotelli.
Subs: Jones, Enrique, Toure, Lambert, Coutinho, Can, Markovic.

• Admin
Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino returns to the starting XI which thumped QPR at White Hart Lane last Sunday. The Argentine made nine changes for Thursday's comfortable Europa League win over AEL Limassol, as only goalkeeper Hugo Lloris and captain Younes Kaboul retain their places.
Spurs: Lloris, Dier, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose, Bentaleb, Capoue, Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela, Adebayor.
Subs: Friedel, Chiriches, Davies, Dembele, Holtby, Townsend, Kane.

A little odd that there's no space on the bench for Paulinho after such a good performance midweek. Worried that Kaboul isn't going to be able to handle the pace of Sturridge and Sterling, and as much as I'm warming to Bentaleb, not convinced he's our best choice sitting deep. Either way, excited to see our front four hopefully doing some damage!

How's Dier been? Goals aside, so focusing on his performances as a defender. Good?

Really good so far, but it's only been two games, and hasn't been tested. He looks calm and assured on the ball, especially for his age (and being English) and he looks really good going forward as a right back. Obviously a work in progress, but yeah, might have a better idea after today.