The Barclays Premier League Thread 2014/2015

brenchill

I'm sure a few seasons ago Chelsea used to lose half of their team to the Afcon.

I think at its peak it was still only four players - Drogba, Kalou, Essien, Mikel. The problem was that we tended to have only one striker and maybe two midfielders left after that.

I remember some pretty odd foreign names being drafted in as cover during those periods. It was like the old Chelsea of the 90's we all knew and loved at times with the likes of Boularouhz (yeah, I'm not checking the spelling) and Jiri Jirosik.

Love how brenchill has taken my post regarding Bony completely out of context and completely ignored my post regarding why i think he is wasted at Swansea in terms of his ability and potential

EDIT: In response to his latest status update just in case people think i'm stirring.

I'm not btw

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30142871

This sort of thing comes up every so often and I just don't understand it. Wenger does it a lot, but he's not the only one - Redknapp immediately comes to mind, for example.

Why does Wenger (or whomever) *endlessly* namedrop massively-talented/successful players to say "we tried to sign them before they were famous"?

Do people hear him say this and think "wow, Wenger clearly knows his stuff"? Do they feel comforted and reassured about how well Arsenal's scouting will go in the future? Does the complete failure to actually land any of these players not make Wenger and/or Arsenal look utterly impotent? If they really did try to sign them, that is.

When told "I always knew that Messi kid was good", are they actually impressed? Rather than the more natural response of "yeah fuck off, anyone could say that"?

And if not, what reason does Wenger et al have to say this stuff?

Confused.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30142871

This sort of thing comes up every so often and I just don't understand it. Wenger does it a lot, but he's not the only one - Redknapp immediately comes to mind, for example.

Why does Wenger (or whomever) *endlessly* namedrop massively-talented/successful players to say "we tried to sign them before they were famous"?

Do people hear him say this and think "wow, Wenger clearly knows his stuff"? Do they feel comforted and reassured about how well Arsenal's scouting will go in the future? Does the complete failure to actually land any of these players not make Wenger and/or Arsenal look utterly impotent? If they really did try to sign them, that is.

When told "I always knew that Messi kid was good", are they actually impressed? Rather than the more natural response of "yeah fuck off, anyone could say that"?

And if not, what reason does Wenger et al have to say this stuff?

Confused.

To be fair, if Wenger was scouting Fabregas it's only natural he would have seen Messi and enquired. I agree it's pointless bringing it up though. It probably just went something like this.

Wenger: So, er, what about that Messi kid?

Barca: lol fuck off