The Barclays Premier League Thread 2014/2015

brenchill

I'm not totally convinced by the "players want to play in London and have guaranteed Champions League football" argument. I think it's a bit of an excuse really. You could sacrifice buying one player who might be great in 2 years to buy someone who'll be great now. You just need one. I don't think it's that impossible if you really go all out to try and get a player.

I find it amusing Liverpool did the exact same thing that Spurs were ridiculed for.

With the Suarez money, all Liverpool needed was a world-class forward to replace him (someone in the £30m - £40m bracket. Sanchez would have been perfect), a quality CB and Lallana. They didn't need to spunk all their money on bits and pieces players. Why they signed Rickie Lambert I'll never know.

"The Suarez Money" from what I've picked up was not what fueled 100% of Liverpool's spending. I'm not even 100% sure the fact Suarez was getting sold was a certainty until after he went and bit someone again. It might have been the case that that bite altered Liverpool's transfer plans midstream. When Lambert is already signed. Signed to be a squad player who can come in and play off either Suarez or Sturridge because they have the legs he doesn't. I think a lot of Liverpool's summer signings make more sense if they were designed to be in a team that contains Suarez and Sturridge. The exception being Balotelli who was designed to come in and not replace Suarez but to give Sturridge a partner (which is what he was doing on his debut against Spurs).

I do think it might have been better, to say, forget Lazar Markovic and throw that 20 million along with what was already being bandied about in order to get Alexis Sanchez. When it comes to stuff like that Liverpool haven't done that well. Liverpool tried to get Deigo Costa and Willian and others and they didn't go all out for them.

January windows recently have yielded Suarez and Sturridge (and Andy Carroll but but two out of three ain't bad). Although, who that "world class" striker would be I don't know. I can't think of someone who would be available in January. I'd love to see Liverpool nabbing an impressive January signing but I don't know who it would be!

All that is a bit more nonsensical when you've had it fairly widely reported Real and Barca were in discussions with Liverpool as far back as feb/mar about buying Suarez, it seems fairly obvious to me that the timing of the announcement if the deal that talks had happened pre-World Cup so Rogers was surely planning his team sans Suarez for a good deal of time.

With Liverpool it's a case of not building on good positions - and not for the first time. 2008/09 you come second, but you don't/can't build on that because you sell a really important player for you (Xabi Alonso), and and replace him with a player who doesn't work out for whatever reason (Aquilani). The seasons after that are your worse for years, you come 7th, 6th, 8th and 7th again. The next season you come 2nd again and already the signs are there that you're not able to repeat that. You've lost a very important player, you've replaced him with a player that isn't working out.