Football League Thread 14/15

METALMAN

I'm a Notts County fan, and the Football League managed to rubber stamp a takeover of my favoured club from noted fraudster Russell King posing as a Middle Eastern investment company nobody had ever heard of. That was a deal that almost ran County out of business, but it's still baffling as to why that was apparently acceptable and Cellino's alleged fraud is supposedly intolerable. I'm not a Leeds fan myself, but I feel sorry for their fans for what they've put up with for the last decade.

I'm a Notts County fan, and the Football League managed to rubber stamp a takeover of my favoured club from noted fraudster Russell King posing as a Middle Eastern investment company nobody had ever heard of. That was a deal that almost ran County out of business, but it's still baffling as to why that was apparently acceptable and Cellino's alleged fraud is supposedly intolerable. I'm not a Leeds fan myself, but I feel sorry for their fans for what they've put up with for the last decade.

He was found guilty, not alleged fraud anymore, is it?

Yes, but my point was that Russell King was also a known fraudster, and the Football League clearly put little effort into investigating the Munto takeover. I'm not saying that the "fit and proper" tests shouldn't be enforced, but the inconsistency is odd.

Does someone want to clarify for me what the point is of forcing him to step down when they know he is free to just come back in March?

What is the point of that!? Why have a test that considers a conviction "spent" after a year, even if its nature is financial? Does this mean any owner who ever fails the O&D Test can just come back anyway after a year? Unbelievable.

Does someone want to clarify for me what the point is of forcing him to step down when they know he is free to just come back in March?

What is the point of that!? Why have a test that considers a conviction "spent" after a year, even if its nature is financial? Does this mean any owner who ever fails the O&D Test can just come back anyway after a year? Unbelievable.

Legally the conviction is considered spent by then. Obviously that's due to the nature of the offence, if he had been given a 10 year suspended sentence then it wouldn't be spent until the end of that 10 years.

I'm sure come March the football league will find something else to keep him from joining their private boys club.

The whole thing is ridiculous, the man is clearly fit to run the football club and has invited the football league to examine the books, he's paying the bills and sorting out the mess made by the previous 2 regimes. Where were the football league when Bates (along with noted football league board member Shaun Harvey) was selling off the club's fine china and then GFH when they were selling the bleeding cabinet?

And the Adryan dive was ridiculous, he'd better not make a habit of that

• Like 1

Legally the conviction is considered spent by then. Obviously that's due to the nature of the offence, if he had been given a 10 year suspended sentence then it wouldn't be spent until the end of that 10 years.

I'm sure come March the football league will find something else to keep him from joining their private boys club.

The whole thing is ridiculous, the man is clearly fit to run the football club and has invited the football league to examine the books, he's paying the bills and sorting out the mess made by the previous 2 regimes. Where were the football league when Bates (along with noted football league board member Shaun Harvey) was selling off the club's fine china and then GFH when they were selling the bleeding cabinet?

And the Adryan dive was ridiculous, he'd better not make a habit of that

Fair enough. I just wish the Football League had a clear idea what the hell their own rules and regulations mean. It's farcical, what's the point causing more upheaval at a club for basically the rest of this season? It's so stupid.

Yes, but my point was that Russell King was also a known fraudster, and the Football League clearly put little effort into investigating the Munto takeover. I'm not saying that the "fit and proper" tests shouldn't be enforced, but the inconsistency is odd.

The rules were different back then though! :shifty:

• Admin
The FA says it is looking into fresh comments made by Wigan chairman Dave Whelan about Chinese people.
Whelan, 78, told the Jewish Telegraph he used to refer to a local Chinese restaurant as "chingalings".
He is already under investigation by the FA over remarks about Jewish and Chinese people in an interview where he was trying to defend the appointment of Malky Mackay as the club's new manager.
Whelan has been given until 12 December to respond to that charge.
It is understood the latest remarks have so far not been taken under consideration by the ongoing investigation.