Sky Bet Football League thread 2015/16

Lineker

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Martin Ling has resigned as Swindon manager due to 'health reasons', which is a real shame. Was hoping he was over his problems and able to cope with being back in the game.

Bugger. He left Torquay for the same reasons. One of my favourite Orient players, pure cockney and I remember how he would celebrate every goal like he scored it. 

• Like 1

Ricardo Moniz has been sacked by Notts County. It seems like the right decision, given that his squad selection often defied all logic and his knowledge of League Two football is virtually non-existent, but, given Ray Trew's track record, I don't see him bringing in anyone much better to replace him. Mark Cooper is the bookmakers' favourite, and I'd consider that a fairly uninspiring choice, but it's not as though beggars can be choosers at this point.

Mark Cooper is someone I'd consider a good choice for Notts County. When Moniz was appointed it smacked of an appointment with a name (not that I knew it) instead of intelligence. Cooper knows the English leagues and was unlucky to leave Swindon in my view. 'Inspiring' appointments don't really happen in League Two.

• Like 1

That's a fair point, I suppose. He's done a good job with Kettering and started well at Swindon, but his run at Peterborough was a tad worrying. Really, though, at this stage of the season, unless the club hits a great run of form or goes into administration, they're unlikely to be promoted or relegated, so now might be a good time to try to build for the next season, and someone with a bit of lower league experience could be ideal.

He got the Posh job far too soon, you can't jump from Kettering Town to the Championship and be good straight away. He did very well with Swindon last year, and this year had his hands tied. They had to move out pretty much all of their best players (including 22-goal top scorer Andy Williams, who signed for us and has another 12 this season, and Nathan Byrne who went to Wolves) and rebuild from the bottom up. He was someone fancied by a lot of our fans when we sacked Dickov in September, and I'd have been happy with it though I have enjoyed our improvement under Darren Ferguson so far.

If you get someone like Cooper in now, you can hopefully stabilise this season and have a good go at promotion next year. A team like Notts County is never going to be too far away from being able to challenge in that division.

• 2 weeks later...

And it's Jamie Fullarton, ex-youth coach at Crystal Palace, Bolton and Nottingham Forest, who apparently impressed Ray Trew at the interview. Given that that's the exact manner in which the job was given to Craig Short, Paul Ince and Shaun Derry in the past few years, I'm quite dumbfounded at how the same mistake can be made so many times. The negativity among the club's fans is higher than I've seen since the Munto disaster, and that's saying something. I know that it's fair to give someone a chance to prove themselves, and I'd like to think I'll do that, but, at this stage, it's hard to be anything other than pessimistic.

• Admin

Charlton have sacked their interim head coach Karel Fraeye. That's a new one by me. First-team coach Wim de Corte, assisted by Jason Euell, will take charge of the team for the Hull game on Saturday. The Ujpest manager Nebojsa Vignjevic has been strongly linked with the club. Charlton’s owner, Roland Duchâtelet also owns the Hungarian club. It has been reported that former manager José Riga is also in the frame.

No well, it's just a continuing calamity. He has this network of clubs that are mediocre throughout Europe and Charlton seem to be just a plaything/experiment for the English game. If you're having a group of linked clubs across the continent, why wouldn't you make the English Championship club the focal point of it?

• Like 1

Delph - Michael Doyle (season loan)
Beckford - Billy Paynter
Schmeichel - Andy Lonergan
Johnson - Michael Brown
Gradel - Danny Pugh
Howson - Fabian Delph (one month loan)
Clayton - David Norris
Snodgrass - Luke Varney
Becchio - Steve Morison
McCormack - Mirco Antenucci
Lees - Giuseppe Bellusci  

The players Leeds have sold and their replacements in the past few years. It's a miracle we've managed to be consistently mid table to be honest.

• Like 1

Great win for us today against Derby, makes me feel a bit more confident for the game against Ipswich next week. Playoffs are still probably a stretch, but it's nice that they are a more likely option than relegation this season (even automatic qualification seems more likely, though I won't hold my breath). 

7 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

What happened to Orient Myke? How can you lose to Exeter :/

It doesn't help that our defence is pants. This season and last season we have been poor defensively, we can score goals but no clean sheets.