Sky Bet Football League thread 2015/16

Lineker

• Admin

AFC Wimbledon have moved closer towards building a new stadium near Wimbledon FC’s original Plough Lane home after the supporters’ trust which owns the club voted overwhelmingly to approve the sale to Chelsea of the club’s current Kingsmeadow ground.

Chelsea, whose chairman, Bruce Buck, is in the advanced stage of negotiations with AFC Wimbledon’s chief executive, Erik Samuelson, intend to use Kingsmeadow, in Norbiton near Kingston upon Thames, for their academy and women’s teams. As Chelsea cannot host crowds at their Cobham training ground, their junior and women’s teams have lacked a base and played at various club grounds, including Aldershot and Staines.

Following the vote by the Dons Trust, AFC Wimbledon will move to finalise the sale to Chelsea and move forward their planned new 11,000-capacity ground at Wimbledon Greyhound Stadium at the end of Plough Lane, which they hope to build and move into for the beginning of the 2018-19 season. The planning application for the new stadium is currently being considered by Merton borough council, with informed sources expecting a decision by 10 December.

The Dons Trust, a mutual and democratic fans’ body, has owned AFC Wimbledon since the club was formed from scratch in 2002 after an FA panel allowed Wimbledon FC to move to Milton Keynes. The fans have remained in charge throughout the subsequent rise from the Combined Counties League to the club’s current League Two status. The trust’s constitution provides that key events such as the sale of the club’s ground can only happen following two ballots with minimum required turnouts and votes, which have been surpassed. In the second ballot, 99% of the trust members who voted, 1,918, approved the sale, with just 19 people voting against.

“The successful vote on the stadium sale is an important milestone in helping to return AFC Wimbledon to its spiritual home in Merton,” the Dons Trust chair, Matthew Breach, said.

The sale of Kingsmeadow to Chelsea, whose value is not being disclosed by either club, is subject to various conditions for the security of AFC Wimbledon. The club’s fans are still scarred by the nomadic existence which followed the former owner, Sam Hammam, selling Wimbledon’s Plough Lane ground with no replacement lined up in 1998. Samuelson is understood to have structured the Chelsea deal to ensure it only becomes final when AFC Wimbledon are effectively certain their new stadium is going ahead. The club will then lease Kingsmeadow from Chelsea and continue to play there until their Plough Lane stadium is built and ready to open.

AFC Wimbledon are providing for “a substantial sum” to be paid out of the sale proceeds to Kingstonian, the Isthmian League premier division club from whose then owner AFC Wimbledon originally bought Kingsmeadow in 2003. The board of Kingstonian, who have played at Kingsmeadow since then as tenants, has resolved to find a smaller stadium, with the contribution from AFC Wimbledon intended to help them secure that move.

• Admin

The Reading manager Steve Clarke is set to take over at Championship rivals Fulham, according to reports.

The former West Bromwich Albion head coach is believed to be keen to replace Kit Symons, who left Craven Cottage earlier this month, but the move is subject to personal terms being agreed.

Clarke took over at Reading 11 months ago and secured Championship status while also leading them to a first FA Cup semi-final for 88 years.

Reading are eighth in the table, four places above Fulham, and only four points below the play-off places.

Leyton Orient’s first team have been ordered to spend the week in a hotel following their defeat to struggling Hartlepool.

The 18 players and six members of staff, including manager Ian Hendon and assistant Andy Hessenthaler, were reportedly told of club owner Francesco Becchetti’s decision as they travelled back from Sunday’s 3-1 League Two loss.

The players and staff have been staying at the Marriott Hotel in Waltham Abbey – five minutes from their training ground – though they have been allowed out in their spare time to visit family.

Hendon told the Daily Mail that the move – an attempt by Becchetti to halt a slump in form that has resulted in two wins in the past 12 League games - would “help team bonding”. He added: “I wouldn’t want to be the one paying the bill. The owner has had different sporting ventures over the years and he said sometimes it’s good to get together and spend time together.”

Hendon said there was no word yet on whether the players would be allowed home if they beat York on Saturday.

“If we win four or five-nil the owner might ask us to move here permanently. We’re not trying to hide anything. We’re staying at a hotel. There are plenty of army camps I know about in deepest darkest woods if we wanted to do that.”

Becchetti made headlines earlier this month when Albanian authorities requested he be extradited to face trial. The Italian businessman is accused of fraud-related offences and money laundering over a failed hydroelectric scheme that allegedly cost the government tens of millions of euros in grants and unpaid taxes.

Becchetti, who is currently awaiting a procedural hearing in London on 7 December, has strongly denied the charges, accusing the government of making “baseless accusations” against him.

• Admin

Steve Clarke insists his decision to remain at Reading instead of becoming Fulham manager was down to “ambition and professionalism” and “wasn’t about money”.

Clarke asked to speak to Fulham about their managerial vacancy and on Thursday was thought to be on the verge of replacing Kit Symons, who was sacked by the Craven Cottage club during this month’s international break.

However, Clarke opted against the move and the 52-year-old believes his interests are better served at the Madejski Stadium. “When I sat down and weighed it up – Reading was by far the best option,” said the former Chelsea, West Ham and Liverpool assistant coach. “All I wanted was the chance to speak to another club and weigh up what is best for me. In my mind I was always closer to Reading than Fulham.

“But you have to go and find out what their plans are and what they are thinking. Could they offer something better? And the answer was no.

“It wasn’t about money – it was about ambition and professionalism. What I have here is more mind-blowing. I’m happy with what I have here. This was the best option by a mile – to stay here. I’m here for the rest of my contract – I hope. It’s been a strange week but I know I made the right decision.”

Clarke will be back in the dugout at the Madejski Stadium for the visit of Bolton on Saturday and he knows he now has some hurdles to overcome. “I understand the angst and anger among supporters but when someone is prepared to pay money to speak to me, it’s something as a professional I have to look at,” he said. “The supporters are the most loyal people at the football club. I can understand the ones that were really angry.

“I’ve had a chat with the board. I’m not going to say everything is fine – it isn’t, they are a bit disappointed. But I believe I still have support 100% and now I want to get back to success on the pitch.”

Clarke took over at Reading 11 months ago and last season secured their Championship status while also leading the club to a first FA Cup semi-final for 88 years.

The Royals are currently eighth in the table, four places and as many points above Fulham, and only four points off the play-off positions.

• Admin

The Queens Park Rangers interim manager Neil Warnock will miss his side’s trip to Middlesbrough due to “personal reasons”, the club have revealed.

Warnock, 66, was placed in charge of the Championship outfit after Chris Ramsey was sacked on earlier this month.

Kevin Blackwell, who was brought in to assist Warnock, will now take charge of QPR at the Riverside Stadium on Friday night. It was reported this week that Warnock expects to be in charge of the Loftus Road club, who are 13th in the Championship, for two further games.

The former Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson and Burton Albion manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink have both been linked to the post. Warnock returned to QPR in an advisory role in October after he was sacked by Crystal Palace last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit surprised he's gone, Walsall are finally competing for promotion after several years of building. Plus he didn't go to Rotherham when Evans left and they wanted him.

Still, good luck to him there. I've always liked him and I like Brentford too. His assistant Richard O'Kelly was sometimes considered the 'real' influence behind our rise to the Championship under Sean O'Driscoll.

• Admin

Bolton Wanderers' financial situation is "increasingly perilous", according to the Championship club's recently-appointed advisor Trevor Birch.

Owner Eddie Davies is not prepared to invest any more money while the club is for sale, and negotiations led by Birch have so far failed to secure a buyer.

"The club's position is increasingly perilous and new investment is needed quickly," said Birch.

Players were not paid last month "due to a short-term funding issue".

Davies is willing to write off Bolton's £172.9m debt in order to push through a deal for the Championship's bottom side.

"We are continuing to negotiate with interested parties but unfortunately no one party has demonstrated all the requisite elements needed to conclude a deal," said Birch, who is leading the negotiations after chairman Phil Gartside fell ill.

Bolton's parachute payments following relegation from the top flight three years ago run out at the end of the season and manager Neil Lennon has struggled to bring in new players given the financial constraints.

Birch and representatives of the Professional Footballers' Association met with Bolton's players on Tuesday to outline the situation.

PFA chief Gordon Taylor told BBC Sport he was "working to keep the players involved" with the ongoing situation at the club, and added that a deal to buy the club was needed "soon".

Birch added: "The players remain upbeat and committed to doing all they can to help the club through this difficult time."

Bolton drew 1-1 with Brentford on Monday night and afterwards Lennon told BBC Radio Manchester: "I think something like this can make you stronger.

"A couple of wins will change the whole landscape of things, but it's getting those wins. We keep knocking on the door and just falling short."

• Admin

Leeds United fans plan to stage a mass walk-out at Elland Road during Saturday’s home game against Hull City in protest at the owner Massimo Cellino.

The Italian businessman, who recently reneged on a deal to sell his majority stake in the club to the supporters’ group Leeds Fans United, has infuriated fans further still by increasing ticket prices in the South Stand without warning.

Supporters in the stand have been forced to pay for food and drink whether they want it or not because of a £5 increase on their matchday ticket, which can be redeemed at the catering kiosks.

Members of fans’ group South Stand SS5 have organised a walkout from the stadium in the 17th minute for a 17-minute period in protest at the price hike, dubbed the “pie tax” by fans, and at Cellino’s “outrageous” running of the club. Cellino has previously stated his superstitious dislike of the number 17.

“We all know he hates the number 17,” said organiser John Bond. “We want to make it very clear to Cellino that he is not wanted. The way he runs the club is outrageous and we want our club back.”

Bond said that he and the Leeds United Supporters Trust had emailed the club on 18 November to discuss the price increase but the club have not replied.

“We’ve also contacted the Football League and Trading Standards because we don’t think the club are within their rights to do this,” he said. “There’s a big appetite among fans to protest in this way. It will be peaceful. It’s got good traction on social media.

“Maybe the whole ground won’t walk out on Saturday, but maybe more will next time. We’re confident we’re speaking for the majority of fans.”

A spokesperson for the club said: “The club is looking at ways to encourage supporters to use the facilities and catering offerings on match-days. Adult South Stand tickets are now being sold as a package, which includes the advertised standard match ticket plus meal deal voucher.

“The voucher offers a saving on the standard match-day food and drink prices, and to accommodate demand, additional catering units have been identified in the lower concourse and will be designated for serving the voucher-only meal deals. This new package only applies to the South Stand, and supporters have the choice to buy tickets elsewhere in the stadium at standard ticket prices.”

55 minutes ago, Lineklaus said:

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is the new QPR manager; Reading have sacked Steve Clarke.

Ffs Jimmy. I liked you and now you've went to QPR :(

I wonder if Steve Clarke will go crawling back to Fulham now. "Ya kno that job you offered me before...is it still going? "

• Like 2