Sky Bet Football League thread 2015/16

Lineker

• Admin

A run of seven Championship games without a win cost Paul Clement his job as Derby County’s manager on Monday. During his days as Carlo Ancelotti’s assistant at Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid, Clement was feted for his work with some of the world’s best players but the 44-year-old found life in England’s second tier a somewhat tougher proposition.

After Derby slipped to fifth in the table, Mel Morris, the club’s chairman, decided enough was enough and, following eight months in charge and 14 wins in 33 games, Clement was replaced by Darren Wassall. Previously the academy director and a former Derby defender, Wassall will take the helm for the remainder of the season.

Although Morris, rather unusually, claimed promotion “was not the primary target”, he said the team had “not made enough progress” under a coach who first came to prominence while rising through the ranks at Chelsea.

Yeah seriously. 5th in the League and 5 off the promotion places isn't bad, but I can kindof understand why they got rid of him as well. No wins in 7 games and with Borough having two games in hand, automatic promotion would've been incredibly difficult to achieve. I'm not sure who Derby can get in quickly enough to save their season though.

In other news I'm just glad Argyle have such a 9 point gap between them and the play-off places cos I can see us dropping points in our next four. Mansfield are in good form and Yeovil away is a tough visit for us. Notts County as well as stronger than their league position suggests (3 games in hand) and will be coming off of a run that sees them play both York (last) and Hartlepool (22nd).

3 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Yeah seriously. 5th in the League and 5 off the promotion places isn't bad, but I can kindof understand why they got rid of him as well. No wins in 7 games and with Borough having two games in hand, automatic promotion would've been incredibly difficult to achieve. I'm not sure who Derby can get in quickly enough to save their season though.

That would be halfway reasonable if the chairman even stressed their league position as a reason - in fact he has said promotion isn't even the aim this season, and instead gave some strange statement about not playing "the Derby way" (whatever that is) and that Clement had a 'short term' vision for the club.

One seven game winless run also should never lead to a manager getting the sack, especially as prior to that run they were top of the league.

• Admin

Ronnie Moore has left League Two strugglers Hartlepool less than 10 months after guiding them to a remarkable great escape. The club announced on Wednesday afternoon that Moore had gone by mutual consent after Tuesday night’s 2-1 home defeat to Stevenage left them just one place and four points above the relegation zone. @Dan

Meanwhile, Neil Warnock is in pole position to become Rotherham’s new manager until the end of the season.