UEFA Europa League 2015/16

Lineker

5 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Do you really think we'd play any better with Jose than we do already? Did you not see Chelsea this season? The fans want attacking, expansive football as much as they want success.

Well he was in charge of the Real Madrid team that scored 121 goals so I think this his teams don't play well or score goals is a bit of a myth. 

One poor season doesn't make a poor manager and we'd be fools to chuck away the chance to have him because he had a poor run with Chelsea. 

The fans want winning football that produces more than one shot a game! We weren't always attacking and expansive with Fergie but that was very different to this awful football we're playing now. That was honestly the worst half hour of football I've ever seen from us. I mean defensively we were a shambles and this supposed possession play wasn't even very good either, constant misplaced passes, this is Manchester United those standards should not be accepted. 

Edited by Sam

16 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

You must not have watched the crossfest against Fulham during Moyes reign.

And Real Madrid have scored over 100 goals every season since 2009-10, regardless of who the manager is. A Jose Mourinho Premier League side has never scored 80 league goals in a season.

Even that was better than this. LVG has been given so much time and money and the team plays like that? I honestly expect us to be beaten by Shrewsbury right now. 

Chelsea still had the second highest goals scored last season in the premier league despite this lack of attacking football on display. I really can't fathom why so many of our fans are against having one of the best managers in world football in charge of our club. Who would we have instead of him?

Edited by Sam

We sometimes got expansive, attacking football under Jose (remember the first half of the 14/15 campaign?), but it tended to shift at some point in the winter to become more pragmatic. It's unclear if this was entirely of his own volition or whether the extreme pressure placed on results by Roman was the main instigator. Maybe he would have the same pressures at United, I don't know.

LVG has had just over a season and a half, still has over a year left on his contract. Remember when we all said United weren't a sacking club? Let's actually not be a sacking club.

As for who would we have instead of him? There's a ton of talented managers out there with teams playing attractive attacking football, let's go get a Simeone, or a Rui Vitoria, or a Frank de Boer, or a Phillip Cocu. Let's get someone who would actually continue the good work done by LVG in bringing our academy players through to the team and who in their current jobs play some very good football.

I'd rather struggle for a few seasons under LVG or any one of those than sell out for the promise of 'instant' success under Jose.

Augsburg are playing well, unlucky to not be ahead if it wasn't for a good Mignolet saved followed by Mignolet being his usual butter fingers self but managing to recover <_<

Need to change the midfield up, struggling to get a hold of the game and it just seems we have an up front three and the back four. I'd probably take one of them off for Ibe or Origi around the 60th minute and either go 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-2-2 

14 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

LVG has had just over a season and a half, still has over a year left on his contract. Remember when we all said United weren't a sacking club? Let's actually not be a sacking club.

As for who would we have instead of him? There's a ton of talented managers out there with teams playing attractive attacking football, let's go get a Simeone, or a Rui Vitoria, or a Frank de Boer, or a Phillip Cocu. Let's get someone who would actually continue the good work done by LVG in bringing our academy players through to the team and who in their current jobs play some very good football.

I'd rather struggle for a few seasons under LVG or any one of those than sell out for the promise of 'instant' success under Jose.

Give him another season?! We'd be relegated! Statistically this is the worst Manchester United team to have played in the premier league, playing style wise it's the worst one, why on earth would you want to endure another season of one shot on target football with completely pointless possession. 

He's not doing good work with the academy, he's put himself in a stupid position where he sold all the squad players and is forced to play them! None of those players would find themselves in an Arsenal, City, Spurs or Chelsea lineup. We actually had three home grown players in Evans, Welbeck and Rafael who were sold on despite being better than the current batch in their positions will ever be. Only Lingard and CBJ could be argued at being at the right level and if Shaw/Rojo were fit CBJ wouldn't have a look in and if Van Gaal had actually signed a decent right winger then Lingard wouldn't get in. Let's face it our famed academy isn't producing top quality talent and hasn't been doing so for a while. 

Also Simeone's Atletico are the opposite of an attacking,flair team. They're incredibly well organised, tight, compact and rarely concede. 

1 minute ago, Sam said:

Give him another season?! We'd be relegated! Statistically this is the worst Manchester United team to have played in the premier league, playing style wise it's the worst one, why on earth would you want to endure another season of one shot on target football with completely pointless possession.  

Yet we're 5th, not 20th. You're exaggerating and yet again not bothering to remember Moyes.

He's not doing good work with the academy, he's put himself in a stupid position where he sold all the squad players and is forced to play them! None of those players would find themselves in an Arsenal, City, Spurs or Chelsea lineup.

These players wouldn't get into a Man Utd lineup normally as well. We've got injuries and have had to bring them into the side to cover.

We actually had three home grown players in Evans, Welbeck and Rafael who were sold on despite being better than the current batch in their positions will ever be. Only Lingard and CBJ could be argued at being at the right level and if Shaw/Rojo were fit CBJ wouldn't have a look in and if Van Gaal had actually signed a decent right winger then Lingard wouldn't get in. Let's face it our famed academy isn't producing top quality talent and hasn't been doing so for a while. 

Believe me I'm not defending LVG's transfer policy. But at the same time I think you're wrong about our academy, we're just not giving academy graduates the time to develop (see: Drinkwater, Danny), and when we do play them we're fully expecting late teenagers/early 20 year olds to be the complete package already.

It takes time to build a team. That was true when Fergie was manager and it is still true now. All replacing LVG with Jose now does is put us back at square one, and still playing terrible football.

The only academy graduate we should regret losing is Pogba. Danny Drinkwater never stood a chance of breaking into this team (and rightly so he's not at that level). 

Jose will be pragmatic with his football but it'll be better than watching this rubbish we're currently serving up. He'll also bring in the right players, LVG seems to have a scatter gun approach to it. I'm certain Moyes would have done a better job than this given the same money and resources. Moyes actually gave Januzaj a chance (something Van Gaal certainly hasn't done). 

• Like 1

Tbf Januzaj is crap. 

Much better second half after a pretty dull first half for both teams. Feel like we've been the better team overall but we've not had any real clear cut chances apart from Sturridge. Augsburg have been a tough team to play. Glad we've got a week off now until the next game.