FA Cup 2015/16 Thread

The Lusophone

Are PL clubs obliged to play in the League Cup under some kind of contract? I mean, it's a FL competition as opposed to an FA one. The League Cup could be scrapped altogether though considering the amount of games FL teams have to play in a season already.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

So they've scrapped Quarter Final replays...this season that would've eased fixture congestion by a whole ONE match.

That pesky fixture congestion. Glad the F.A. are on top of it.

I thought the exact same thing when they said it. Laughable. 

Also I think a lot of people who don't like the league cup are fans of teams who don't take it seriously. If your teams not interested in it and puts a crap team out its easy to see why it gets devalued. The same happens with the FA cup with teams being rotated. Teams shouldn't need any added incentive in winning a cup...it's a trophy you should be striving to win trophies.

I'm sure Swansea fans didn't enjoy winning the league cup a few years back. They took it serious. Same with us if we won the league cup I would have been made up as I want us to win trophies. 

• Like 1

I want United to win every trophy we play for. Come August, I'll want us to beat Leicester for the Community Shield, and that's something that isn't even properly recognised. The League Cup is way down the list of priorities. When we lost to Boro on pens, I was more annoyed about the shit performance than going out of that particular Cup.

Literally the only benefit of this will be to a team that is in the quarter-finals of the Champions/Europa League who also happen to get a replay in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup.

So, the Manchester clubs then. :shifty:

2 hours ago, Adam said:

Totally agree @Davidmarrio. I saw a stat this morning, there have been seven replay matches in seven seasons from the FA Cup Quarter Finals.

I cannot stand this constant need of the FA and FL to want to change everything for reasons that just aren't justified.

The only thing I can think of which is grasping at straws is it is only looking at fixture congestion for prem teams who are likely to occupy most of the spots in the quarter finals. 

What about teams in the football league who have to play replays from the first round onwards on top of 46 league games?

Well I agree. I would scrap replays altogether but then you take away the potential for 'money-spinning' ties for smaller teams against the big boys, like we've seen with the likes of Cambridge and Exeter in recent years. Those replays can mean a serious difference in finances for a season for those teams so they should stay, whereas in the Quarter Finals it is unlikely a 'small' club will still be in by that stage.

So I'm not against them scrapping replays in the later rounds, but claiming it is due to 'fixture congestion' is ludicrous and just part of this wider peddling of diminishing leagues and cups from the FA and Football League. They must think we're all stupid.