Random Music Thoughts

Benji

Oh goddamnit.

Win Butler of Arcade Fire has been accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women. In response, he offered to put Pitchfork in contact with women he's had positive sexual encounters with in the past.

On 28/08/2022 at 08:05, tristy said:

Oh goddamnit.

Win Butler of Arcade Fire has been accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women. In response, he offered to put Pitchfork in contact with women he's had positive sexual encounters with in the past.

Well. 

Win Butler is a piece of shit. 

• Like 1

On 26/08/2022 at 14:41, RPS said:

Nirvana are really great. Their trilogy of albums are perfect. A raw and unhinged album in Bleach. Nevermind is a perfect rock album that also became a perfect pop album. And In Utero sees them marrying the two - near pristine production but outright hideous and compelling song writing. 

I have never got round to listening to Bleach. Can you believe that.

On 06/08/2022 at 12:18, RPS said:

I had someone close in my life who went through a very depressed phase and they listened to Daniel Johnston and it has tainted his catalogue for me, but he was an astounding songwriter. 

Daniel Johnston is a rough one. Some absolute genius in there, but as I've got older I've found it harder and harder to listen to for all the same reasons I was initially drawn to him in the first place. It's all too raw and soul-baring for me these days.

I saw him live once, at a festival curated by Matt Groening, who introduced him as his favourite artist. I don't think I made it through a single song before having to walk out, it was so clearly overwhelming for him to perform at that time, and it felt uncomfortable, almost voyeuristic or exploitative to watch him. 

On 26/08/2022 at 15:57, VerbalPuke said:

I also don't think people realize that Kurt had a hand in getting some lesser known bands some notoriety such as the Vaselines or Meat Puppets. I always liked that.

Absolutely - I always think Kurt Cobain is the example of how you should behave if your band gets signed and makes it anything like as big as they did; he was constantly giving back, using his platform to help uplift the bands that had influenced him and that he loved - not just the Meat Puppets and Vaselines, but Daniel Johnston, The Melvins, Shonen Knife, so many others. How often do you hear bands like Coldplay or U2, or anyone else of that kind of stature, talk about obscure bands that helped them get where they are, or invite little known bands to tour with them? It feels like that should almost be your duty once you make it big.

On 26/08/2022 at 18:47, RPS said:

I used to be in that camp but in my older age I now associate it far more with tragedy than greatness. It's extraordinary but in a way I want to keep my distance these days. 

I struggle with Unplugged. I used to love it, but not so much any more, though I can still recognise why it's great. A big thing for me, and I struggle to explain exactly why, is that it very much feels like a "Kurt Cobain" album rather than a Nirvana album, like it's right at the pinnacle of making him and him alone the face of a scene, when Nirvana were a great band, not just a great frontman.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Skummy said:

How often do you hear bands like Coldplay or U2, or anyone else of that kind of stature, talk about obscure bands that helped them get where they are, or invite little known bands to tour with them?

You say that, but I remember reading an interview in Q MAGAZINE in 2007 (I remember this very clearly because I was in Center Parcs Sherwood Forest with my parents at this time and I read all the magazines in the little Center Parcs supermarket) where the boy from Coldplay says he loves this obscure little group called Kraftwerk and he thinks we should all go and listen to them.

• Haha 1

Does anyone like the band Deerhunter? They are pretty extraordinary. Later outputs have been more pop focused, but I love how their earlier work marries experimental and pop music so well. 

• Like 1

The Weeknd had to cancel his show at SoFi Stadium two songs in because his voice completely gave out.  He's pledged to do a makeup date and offer refunds to anyone who wants them.

Of course, he's also being flooded with complaints about people who spent a ton of money on travel, parking etc to get to the show.  I suspect these people would've been the same people first in line to complain about how much money they spent to watch him lip sync if he kept the show going.

They should learn from musical theatre and have a stand-in Weeknd that can learn all the tunes and jump in when something like that happens. 

It might not take the breath away in the same way as the original but in the blinding lights coming from the stage you might not be able to notice the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Celebrity Family Feud had a question `What music do they play around the clock in Hell?" I want to know just who they surveyed, because a lot of answers that should have been on the board weren't. Heavy Metal (obvious!), Opera, Pop/Rock, Rap and Country were. (WTF?) Polka, Musak (elevator shit), and Bluegrass weren't. All were said and got X's. I'd add Barry Manilow, but that's an artist, not a genre.

One of the X'd answers was Classical, and I knew it was going to be wrong as soon as it was said. I watched a documentary years ago where they interviewed several Satanists, and more of them actually listened to Classical than Metal.

Edited by GhostMachine

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

So I was thinking I might start a thread and review all my physical albums. I think mostly as a hobby and a reason to listen a full album every couple of nights. I have probably 300+ LPs, a good handful of 45s, a smaller handful of cassettes, and 1 CD. 

I think it would be fun.

Do it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

So I was thinking I might start a thread and review all my physical albums. I think mostly as a hobby and a reason to listen a full album every couple of nights. I have probably 300+ LPs, a good handful of 45s, a smaller handful of cassettes, and 1 CD. 

I think it would be fun.

This sounds amazing. Do it. 

• Thanks 1

Well shit I will do it then. So i think I'll just go in alphabetical order and I may skip Greatest Hits type albums depending on what I already by that artist. I have some really gritty shitty stuff I bought as an 18 year old...so I apologize in advance when I ger to GG Allin. Also have shit gifted to me by my uncle that I'd never listen to but should make for a fun break up in the usual.

• Like 1

I've been dipping into Billy Joel's discography in no particular order. I have discovered Glass Houses is a pretty great album.

Storm Front however remains bad.

When I was a young teen, over twenty years ago, I was a big Kid Rock rock. My cousin and I thought he was one of the greatest musicians, he could sing, had hit after hit, he was everywhere. But, my mom couldn't stand him or us listening to him.

Now? I can't stand the guy and rarely listen to his music. My mom? My 70 year old mom and her 60 something best friend are on their way to see Kid Rock in concert this weekend.

TL;DR- Kid Rock's fan base has changed from young teen boys to grandma's. 

• 3 weeks later...