Summer Transfer Window Thread 2016

Lineker

22 minutes ago, Benji said:

A new challenge. The chance to test yourself on a higher level.

Surely there's the challenge of getting Everton to that higher level that he hasn't completed yet. I'd much rather be remembered as an Alan Shearer or Matt Le Tissier than an also ran at Arsenal.

Up to him really, he's more likely to win a title at a higher club. Why be remembered as a club legend when you can be remembered as a Premier League/Champions League winner? It goes both ways, what might be right for you might not be right for them.

Also £20,000 plus probably better bonuses because it's a much higher level.

If Lukaku leaves, I really will not give much of a shit. He's looked like he doesn't care for ages now and the only downside will be replacing him with someone of a similar caliber. 

Lukaku is a great player but his attitude is questionable. You could tell at times he didn't really give a shit this season for Everton.

Cut him lose, get a good fee for him improve the squad.  

Eh, his attitude might be questionable, but there's also something quite -- I dunno, maybe not charming, but endearing about Lukaku. This is someone who wants to play at the top level and isn't willing to fuck about at somewhere where he can't achieve that. He took no pleasure in Chelsea's CL win because he played no part in it, left when he couldn't get first team opportunities to get first team experience and better himself and went to a club like Everton and performed incredibly well.

He doesn't think he can get to the highest level with Everton, so he's willing to leave -- and he'll leave a better player than he started. Why does Lukaku owe Everton any loyalty? He's not an Evertonian, or a life long fan, he'll leave, and he'll make Everton a healthy profit. I'm for loyalty and all that, but this is so someone who wants to and thinks he can play at the top level and will continue to strive towards that. Yeah, it's not great to see his agent and himself shopping him around, but the reasons behind it are totally fine. 

• Like 1

Ibra has made his choice and it does seem like he could be heading to United. Not sure how I feel about it, tbh. It'd be a year deal (2 maximum) and he always seems to like the spotlight on him and nobody else. How long until he'd want the SAF stand renamed in his honour? 

If Jose and Ibra did come in, I doubt I'd be disappointed. It's all a bit surreal at the moment. Never thought I'd see Jose at United after he rejoined Chelsea, and certainly didn't think Ibra would play in England. That might not happen, but it's looking more likely now.

• Admin

Southampton have confirmed Kelvin Davis, Gaston Ramirez and Will Britt will leave the club at the end of their contracts.

Liverpool have made an offer for Portuguese left-back Raphael Guerreiro according to the player's French club Lorient.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

It pisses me off that all the good players want to move to"big" clubs, why not stay and help your team become a big club and become a club legend in the process? I can understand wanting to move if you already have an affinity to the club that's after you but apart from another 20 grand a week, what does Lukaku gain by going to Inter Milan or whatever?

I think you need to consider that footballers are human beings with a variety of different motives. They don't just go to whoever waves the most cash in front of them.

Why go to Inter Milan (for example)? 

To live in a beautiful city. To play for one of the most prestigious clubs in the world in a marvellous stadium. They haven't been doing so well of late, but Inter has a certain something that Everton just doesn't. 

More generally, it's not uncommon - no matter what your career is - to try and reach the summit of your profession. It's perfectly understandable why, having proven himself at Everton, he might look to move onwards.

• Like 3

Every player should be wanting to play at the top level or to the best of their ability. I don't see that as an endearing factor. 

There's nothing wrong with him moving on but going on about moving and having your dad talk to the media isn't the way to go. Neither is not putting in the effort throughout the season. 

I'm sure if you asked most Everton fans they'd be understanding of him moving and they would be accepting of him moving but how he's acted or went about it certainly isn't endearing.

There's good ways in leaving a club and there's crap ways of leaving a club. The way he's handled it is pushing him in the latter. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TCO said:

Why are Inter Milan being mentioned? They're shit now, that'd barely be a step up for Lukaku.

Why go to Inter Milan (for example)? 

To live in a beautiful city. To play for one of the most prestigious clubs in the world in a marvellous stadium. They haven't been doing so well of late, but Inter has a certain something that Everton just doesn't. 

Still stands.