Red Dead Redemption Part Deux

MalaCloudy Black

I've read a few of these reviews. I really don't want to be Mr. Negative here, but I'm getting a few GTA IV vibes.

Something I've noticed a lot is mention of the controls being not particularly great, and there's also a lot of talk of large sections of the game not being much fun to play through. Not only that, but more than one review has said that the story drags signficantly. The consensus seems to be that it's a technically stunning game with a well crafted open world, but I'm not seeing many references to fun. If that's the case, I'm wondering if this is a game that will see a backlash once people grow used to all the technical wizardry.

I know I seem downbeat, and I don't mean to be. I'm comparing it with GTA IV, which is a game I still liked, despite its flaws. I'll be intrigued to see the difference between people's initial reactions and their subsequent opinions in a few weeks' time.

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

....what reviews are you reading? Everything I've seen has been glowing praise.

They are praising it, but there are little statements here and there that point to unnecessary tedium. In and of itself, that's unremarkable, but games with this kind of hype behind them often get put on a higher pedestal than some might feel they deserve by reviewers. It's been the same with almost every massive recent release, including GTA IV and V, Breath of the Wild, Bioshock: Infinite and Metal Gear Solid V, all of which were games I enjoyed, but whose flaws seemed to be glossed over in a sentence or two by major reviewers.

Since I posted my initial comment, I've watched Jim Sterling's video review, and it backs up some of my concerns. He says that the open world is great and the missions are well put together, but there are irritations that built up in between. For example, you have to sit through a long animation every time you skin an animal, and the hunting process is a slow and laboured one. You also can't whistle for your horse unless you're within a few metres of it, and you can't change outfits when you're travelling quickly on a horse. These are "realism" mechanics that probably make the game more frustrating to play.

Do they sound like dealbreakers? Absolutely not. The game still sounds fine. They are, however, reasons to remember that this is a creative endeavour made by humans trying out various ideas, some of which will work and some of which won't. Everything suggests that Red Dead Redemption is a very good video game, but not something that will fill the void in our souls and make our lives immeasurably better.