Formula One 2017

Lineker

46 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

He also moved to Switzerland, and then Monaco, several years ago, to escape the taxman. As much as I dislike the idea, I wouldn't single Hamilton out because huge numbers of F1 drivers have moved to tax havens over the years. I'm quite sure at least half the current grid has.

Also when you are travelling the world so much, might as well be based somewhere less shitty than the UK, I hear Monaco and Switzerland are quite nice.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

There's a 2 hour documentary for Williams on Netflix (called Williams).  It is amazing, pretty heart breaking and sad, but really made me realise why I have always loved that team.

I immediately gravitated towards Williams when I got into the sport (Montoya/Ralf era). Looking forward to seeing this doc.

• Admin

bcd766a8db7d4faeb555d0a67c9cd229.jpg

Pirelli has revealed details of the seven dry-weather tyre compounds it will use in the 2018 Formula 1 season, with the introduction of the super-hard and the hyper-soft.

The Italian supplier says the compounds in the 2018 "rainbow" range will be "considerably softer" compared to 2017.

The first new tyre will be the orange super-hard, slotting in as the hardest of the range.

It will be what Pirelli describes as its "insurance policy" given the other compounds have gone softer for next season.

The other new entry is the hyper-soft, which will be pink and the softest of the range, with the name chosen via a fan poll on social media.

It received 62% of the vote, beating the two other proposed options - extreme-soft and mega-soft.

"This is the softest compound we've made so far in F1," said Pirelli racing manager Mario Isola.

28945658e9f123b0ff2c10d854c97177.jpg

"We decided not only to move all the range one step softer, but to introduce one more level of softer compound, that is the pink hyper-soft.

"This is obviously a compound that we developed for very low-severity circuits.

"We realised that, under the unique circumstances of this year, some of our 2017 compounds were perhaps conservative.

"The tyres we have created for 2018 addresses this, in line with the objective of having around two pitstops at most races.

"However, the fundamental design concept of the tyres hasn't changed, preserving the attributes that all drivers have appreciated this year and allowing them to push hard from the start to the finish of each stint."

The hard tyre will take on an "ice blue" colour next year, with the white medium, yellow soft, red super-soft and purple ultra-soft retaining their current colours.

The intermediate and full wet will remain green and blue respectively.

The teams will try out the new tyres for the first time next week during the two-day Post-Abu Dhabi Grand Prix tyre test at Yas Marina.

2aa3591036c6ab076e9ca3d37979f836.jpg

This is an utterly ridiculous decision that makes no sense at all.

Last year (Rd. the current season), the hardest (Hard) compound tyre was NEVER used, not for a single lap in any of the races it was available. The Medium tyre was only actively used in Spain, where it was the 'prime' tyre and thus drivers had to use it, yet again they were only used marginally and most chose to pit early for the softer tyre.

Now they're adding an even harder tyre, which you can expect won't be used ever. And if things shift as they do, the medium tyre will never be used either, and the soft will only be marginally used.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

• Admin

Formula 1 is poised to reveal a new logo at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, where it will be also be displayed on the podium.

F1's current logo is one of the most recognisable in the world, with red and black lettering spaced apart to reveal a white '1' in between.

Several new logos have been registered at the European Union Intellectual Property Office, with one set to be used from the start of 2018.

It is understood a sneak peak of the logo will be revealed after the Abu Dhabi season finale, potentially featuring on the podium and on the rose water bottles that the drivers will spray after the race.

F1 chairman Chase Carey told Sky on Friday in Abu Dhabi that he hoped the change of logo would help show the new 'energy' that owner Liberty Media are bringing to the sport.

However, he was aware of the fan backlash there has been on social media recently when it emerged that the old F1 logo could be ditched.

"For sure, any time you change you are always going to get a mixed set of views," he said. "What we wanted to do was provide a fresh energy to the sport, and I think have a lot of plans for the future and a lot of things we want to do.

"We thought the logo was a good way to emphasise the excitement and a fresh energy to take the sport to a new place.

"That's respecting where the sport has been, we are not looking to change the sport, we are looking to provide a fresh innovation and energy to a sport that is a great sport.

"We think we can enhance it and better it, to allow fans to engage in ways they maybe haven't had the opportunity to in the past around events that truly are the spectacle they should be."

On 24/11/2017 at 17:46, Jasonmufc said:

I mean, I get it that Carey and Co. wants a new 'feeling' with F1. But I feel the F1 logo is one of the most timeless and identifiable logos ever made.

So it has to be a pretty damn cool logo to not make me be dissapointed with the choice.

So timeless and iconic it's only been in use for what 15 years, and I remember the one from before it much more?

1 hour ago, Rich said:

So timeless and iconic it's only been in use for what 15 years, and I remember the one from before it much more?

I honestly can only remember the previous one, I swear I saw it in the 90s when I was a very casual kid watching the few races they sometimes showed.