Formula One 2017

Lineker

17 minutes ago, Stick Stickly said:

Did Glock choose to stay out or did Toyota make him stay out at Brazil? 

I think he was injured still after the Suzuka crash and Toyota (thinking they were gonna be around the year after) wanted Kobayashi to get the experience.

4 hours ago, Chris2K said:

He could well get a race next year then if Fernando goes for a mid-season excursion again. Nice to see drivers named by the EWR name generator as well.

I was gonna refute your claim going 'But he's 17', but I realized he's turning 18 next week rather than next year, so yeah, he'll be eligible for F1!

Actually quite interested in Lando, even though I feel F1 can have a few less generational talents from the UK for the next 10 years, so the rest can have a go >_>

8 minutes ago, MadJack said:

Wasn't Max 17 when he debuted?

Yep, after he debuted they revised the rules that implemented a points system to get a superlicense, and a minimum age of 18 years to be eligible to drive in F1. It was officially implemented at the start of Max's rookie season, but he got grandfathered in because he had already signed a contract and had been granted a superlicense for the x amount of miles driven in a comparable car.

Everyone after Max, though. Has to be 18 years old, and have 40 points accrued for their superlicense. 

On 06/11/2017 at 23:47, Jasonmufc said:

Yep, after he debuted they revised the rules that implemented a points system to get a superlicense, and a minimum age of 18 years to be eligible to drive in F1. It was officially implemented at the start of Max's rookie season, but he got grandfathered in because he had already signed a contract and had been granted a superlicense for the x amount of miles driven in a comparable car.

Everyone after Max, though. Has to be 18 years old, and have 40 points accrued for their superlicense. 

Ah shit, I only have 3 points on mine.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So Toro Rosso apparently are on their last power unit and Renault are refusing/can't produce another one before Abu Dhabi. So there's a very real chance that TR won't be able to race, which would massively help Renault when they're 5 points behind TR in the standings...

23 minutes ago, Katsuya said:

So Toro Rosso apparently are on their last power unit and Renault are refusing/can't produce another one before Abu Dhabi. So there's a very real chance that TR won't be able to race, which would massively help Renault when they're 5 points behind TR in the standings...

That sounds pretty dodgy, and I'm not even sure Renault can refuse such a request since engine deals involve promises to supply engines for the full 20 race season.

At the same time, Renault can't be forced to supply engines they might not have. So I think Renault's playing it like that, and preparing to pay a hefty sum of money in damages instead.

4 hours ago, Lineker said:

It's more that they have nobody else in the development pipeline.

I mean, they could have just as easily went 'You know, we like that other Kiwi WEC Champion better' and put Earl Bamber in the car.

Maybe they'll just switch them up after every odd race, see if anyone even notices.

He also moved to Switzerland, and then Monaco, several years ago, to escape the taxman. As much as I dislike the idea, I wouldn't single Hamilton out because huge numbers of F1 drivers have moved to tax havens over the years. I'm quite sure at least half the current grid has.

• Like 1