Formula One 2017

Lineker

• Admin

Pierre Gasly is poised to make his Formula 1 debut with Toro Rosso at the Malaysian Grand Prix in place of Daniil Kvyat.

Although there has been no official confirmation from the Faenza-based team, multiple sources have suggested the swap will be made in time for this weekend's race at Sepang.

It is understood that Red Bull chiefs have decided to give Gasly an early try out in a race seat to evaluate his credentials for a full-time drive for 2018.

Previous rumours had suggested Gasly might be in line to step up to a race seat in Malaysia as a replacement for Carlos Sainz Jr, if the Spaniard had been able to complete an early switch to Renault.

However, with Jolyon Palmer standing firm that he wants to see out the season with the French manufacturer - and having eased pressure on himself with a points-scoring finish in Singapore - there is now no opportunity for Sainz to move early.

Sainz's career-best fourth place finish in Singapore has also meant that Toro Rosso is reluctant to let him go, because it is in the middle of a close fight in the constructors' championship with Williams and Renault.

Thanks to Sainz's Singapore result, Toro Rosso is now just seven points behind fifth-placed Williams, with Renault a further 10 points back.

With Sainz staying put, sources have suggested that Toro Rosso has instead decided that Kvyat will be rested for now, to give Gasly a try out in a race seat.

There are suggestions that the Red Bull junior will contest both the Malaysian and Japanese Grands Prix, but will be unable to race at Austin because it clashes with the final round of the Japanese Super Formula championship in which he is competing this year.

Kvyat would then likely be slotted back in for that race, but it is unclear what Red Bull would plan to do for the remaining events of the season in Mexico, Brazil and Abu Dhabi.

The Russian has had a frustrating season, having scored just four points this year through a brace of ninth place finishes in Australia and Spain.

This compares to the 48 points that team-mate Sainz has scored.

...huh. Didn't see that one coming. Good for Gasly to get a couple races in (like Ricciardo did with HRT) ahead of next year, but...yeahhh. Considering they don't really have anyone else with a superlicence to throw in there next year, I'm surprised they'd kick Kvyat out.

EDIT: Someone has pointed out that it conveniently would stop Kvyat from accidentally getting penalty points before COTA (when he loses some), because if he got banned before then it would fuck up Gasly's Super Formula race.

Just now, MadJack said:

I like Kvyat, seems to have been really hard done by by Red Bull and just victim to both Ricciardo's and Verstappen's rise, especially as he beat the former in his first season at Red Bull.

I did like him - and thought he was hard done by last year particularly - but then he's just gone so far downhill this year that it's a bit inexcusable now. Some drivers have taken things on the chin before (Grosjean, for example) but Kvyat just seems permanently miserable and then crashes out anyway.

I wouldn't be shocked if Red Bull, or Honda more precisely, do get Matsushita a super licence. To be fair to the guy, he's not *that* bad, and he has won four GP2/F2 races now, and he's made a big improvement on last year at least. No, he's not the quickest and he'd only be there because of the Honda connection, but I think the Superlicence point thing is to mainly keep the likes of Galael and Celis Jr. from buying their way in...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Katsuya said:

In case people haven't see , FOM have put the full 2001 Malaysian GP on YouTube, complete with Murray & Martin commentary. Famous for the rain shower and Michael destroying the field with one of his best drives.

FOM isn't the owner of F1 anymore, but I know what you mean. And I know what i'm gonna watch right now!

How quickly a title race can get away from you.

As for him "getting a break", he was the architect of his own downfall in Singapore. Perhaps karma is paying him back this weekend, I'll certainly think so if he comes nowhere and both Kimi and Verstappen finish on the podium.

• Admin

Every driver failed to finish in a Formula 4 South East Asia Championship support race to Formula 1's Malaysian Grand Prix on Saturday.

With a reshuffled timetable caused by the broken drain that cut short Formula 1's second free practice session, two F4 events were run back-to-back on Saturday morning at Sepang.

The first event passed without drama and was won by Daniel Cao, but the second was one of the most bizarre races in recent memory.

Towards the end of the second race, the first of the nine cars began running out of fuel.

Cao came to a halt along with three other cars on lap six of the eight lap race, with three more cars coming to a halt on lap six.

Race organisers called out a safety car because there were cars stranded in dangerous positions around the circuit.

As the final lap got under way, only Kane Shepherd was running.

Despite going slowly his car also ran out of fuel as he exited Turn 2, leaving the safety car alone to complete the final lap.

Shepherd was declared the winner on the provisional classification, with the result having been declared after seven laps

It is understood the lack of fuel was caused by a miscalculation on how much petrol was needed to complete both races, as the back-to-back running was unusual and the cars were refuelled in the gap.

The organiser of the Formula 4 South East Asia Championship has apologised "unreservedly" for the error that led to every driver retiring from a Malaysian Grand Prix support race.

All nine drivers failed to finish the race at Sepang on Saturday after a miscalculation on how much fuel was needed to complete two races, which were being run back-to-back due to a timetable reshuffle.

Towards the end of the second race the first of the nine cars began running out of fuel, with seven drivers retiring over the next couple of laps.

Kane Shepherd started the final lap behind the safety car, which had been called due to his rivals being stranded around the circuit, but he also ran out of fuel exiting Turn 2.

Peter Thompson, the chairman of series organiser Asian Autosport Action, said: "I apologise unreservedly for the results of race three.

"With races two and three back-to-back and without the possibility to top up, we filled the cars for both races before the start of race two.

"However we miscalculated the requirements.

"As we are a one-team championship all the drivers were unfortunately affected."

Shepherd was provisionally declared the winner, but Danial Frost has been officially awarded the victory.

"It was a very interesting day, to say the least," said Frost.

"I managed a great start and was able to pull away from everyone.

"After the halfway point though, I did see the driver behind me slow down and then not long after, I did as well.

"It is a disappointing way to end the race but on the positive I am happy with the result that was declared."

Each round of the 2017/18 F4 SEA series has an 'event champion' and Frost takes a commanding lead into Sunday's final two Sepang races, which are scheduled to take place before the grand prix.

:lol: