Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

Antman is certainly a movie that exists. Definitely a lower tier Marvel movie, which seems to be happening more and more lately (this, Thor Love and Thunder, Blackwidow, and for me, Black Panther 2).

Just gonna copy and paste my thoughts from Letterboxd on Guardians of the Galaxy 3 here.

Pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this after struggling with Marvel films for the past few years. Guardians reminded me of why I used to love these films, for the duality of escapism and soap opera and I found its commitment to framing this adventure around love, death and grief really effective. Thankfully, maybe what I needed most from Guardians as a reminder that Marvel films can be made with love and care and this feels like the most well-aligned across the board in recent memory. It even seems largely in-tune with the fatigue of mass CGI fights, I found this refreshingly grounded and focused on the importance of family and making us actually feel something. I’ll always love the films that make me walk away with the feeling I used to get when reading comics as a kid - they’re becoming more few and far between - but I still appreciate it when it hits.

I would agree that 

Spoiler

Adam Warlock felt like the only afterthought, which was probably the only case of feeling there was a clash between what Gunn wanted and what Marvel wanted. 

Also, once it was pointed out to me, it's hard to ignore the film's message about every life mattering and everyone deserving a second chance is quite...inconsistent. But it's comics init, I can let that go. 

Mostly, I've been crying out for these films to feel distinctive and, while this is flawed, I had a really great time with it because of its singularity. I hope they learn the right lessons from this - lessons they should've learned from the original Guardians of the Galaxy. My feeling is, because the tone of that film was such a hit, they kept trying to replicate it in other films, ignoring that it's so good because it's totally its own thing. 

Edited by Jimmy

1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

Heartbreaking news:

Captain America: New World Order has had its title changed to Captain America: Brave New World.

I guess nWo wasn't 4 life after all. :crying:

So basically they're putting Captain America in an Aldous Huxley novel? Cause I'm into it. 

1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

Heartbreaking news:

Captain America: New World Order has had its title changed to Captain America: Brave New World.

I guess nWo wasn't 4 life after all. :crying:

Damn...I was looking forward to Bucky leg dropping Sam

Sir Anthony Hopkins says Thor role was 'pointless acting'

I'm getting a little tired of actors trashing their time in the MCU, even if they're as respected as Sir Anthony. It feels like they're saying it to appease the people who dismiss the MCU so they can be taken "seriously" again.

Plus if it was so pointless and trivial, I assume he'll be giving back all the money he was paid for doing it?

• Like 3

I don't mind it outright, but given Hopkins was in a woeful Transformers film at pretty much the same time as the excellent Ragnarok it always feels like an unnecessary swipe. Pretty much every time you can look at the actor and name half a dozen worse cash grabs thst they've been in.

It's a quote from a 2021 interview, in which he's talking about acting in front of a green screen. Here's the full quote:

When you did the first “Thor” movie, ten years ago—you’ve now been in three—you said that you read the script and wrote on it “N.A.R.,” for “No Acting Required.” What to you separates an N.A.R. role from an A.R. role? How do you know when there’s acting required?

I try to apply it to everything I do: no acting required. On “Thor,” you have Chris Hemsworth—who looks like Thor—and a director like Kenneth Branagh, who is so certain of what he wants. They put me in armor; they shoved a beard on me. Sit on the throne; shout a bit. If you’re sitting in front of a green screen, it’s pointless acting it. Gregory Peck was doing “Moby Dick,” and one of the props guys found his script on the set. He opened it up and Gregory Peck had written on a certain page, “N.A.R.”

Oh, you got it from Gregory Peck!

So he asked, “What does this mean, Mr. Peck?” He said [launching into a booming Peck impression], “No acting required. You just look at the sea, and that’s it!” And that’s true.

Of course, to find the context you have to first go from that BBC article to the New Yorker article they're quoting, and find that in that New Yorker article they're quoting they are in fact quoting an interview that they did with Hopkins two years ago, and you have to dodge the paywall to read it unless you subscribe to them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh boy.

Tenoch Huerta has been accused of sexual assault by saxophonist Maria Elena Rios.

You might also know Maria from the stories a year or two ago about an ex-boyfriend of hers ordering an acid attack on her.

Edited by tristy

Buckle up for release date changes:

Full list here, but the TL:DR:

Deadpool 3 moved up(!) from November 2024 to May 2024.

Everything else has been moved back one slot on the release schedule (between 2 to 6 months) with the exception of the two Avengers movies (Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars) which have been moved back an entire year. The highlight of this is the Blade movie, originally scheduled for Halloween, is now releasing on Valentine's Day. Nothing says "I love you" like killing vampires.

• 4 weeks later...

Hollywood Reporter confirmed Jennifer Garner is returning as Elektra in Deadpool 3

Other cast rumors:

Spoiler

She joins a cast that supposedly consists of pretty much the entire core OG Fox X-Men, Ben Affleck’s Daredevil, the Illuminati from Multiverse of Madness, William Stryker (Brian Cox) and the Scarlet Witch. Another rumor has Chris Evans returning as the Human Torch, too.

14 hours ago, tristy said:

Hollywood Reporter confirmed Jennifer Garner is returning as Elektra in Deadpool 3

Other cast rumors:

Reveal hidden contents

She joins a cast that supposedly consists of pretty much the entire core OG Fox X-Men, Ben Affleck’s Daredevil, the Illuminati from Multiverse of Madness, William Stryker (Brian Cox) and the Scarlet Witch. Another rumor has Chris Evans returning as the Human Torch, too.

Spoiler

All killed off in one 3 second sequence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...