Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

I'm not exactly hopeful about it. It kind of felt like Thors story - as far as the MCU was concerned - was kind of done before Love and Thunder and the film did nothing to make me think there was much more to be gained from doing more. Let him drift into semi-retirement and popping up to do things as a support every now and then but my interest in another Thor film at this point is non-existent.

(As a side note, I'd noticed GotG3 is on D+ if people want to watch it but didn't see it at the cinema... I'm sure I'll get round to it soon enough)

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Ragnarok was great but Love and Thunder was terrible. This is the tiebreaker I guess?

More powerful then Hela?

Geez...if only he had access to a villain that could...kill?..murder?..something....Gods...

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2023 at 17:39, Chris2K said:

Sir Anthony Hopkins says Thor role was 'pointless acting'

I'm getting a little tired of actors trashing their time in the MCU, even if they're as respected as Sir Anthony. It feels like they're saying it to appease the people who dismiss the MCU so they can be taken "seriously" again.

Plus if it was so pointless and trivial, I assume he'll be giving back all the money he was paid for doing it?

Slightly off topic, but just noticed Hopkins is doing another greenscreen "no acting required" role, and I'll eat my hat if Rebel Moon is as good as Ragnarok.

• 2 months later...

The Marvels is...

Spoiler

So, so, so good. Well, for me at least, I'm sure there are people who hate it.

- The whole writing of Kamala Khan is so good, and Imam Villani remains absolutely perfect casting.

- This may be my favourite MCU film for comedy, even surpassing Ragnarok. I was in tears during the MemoryFlerkin scene, laughing harder than I have at any other MCU scene.

- The ending with Kamala starting the Young Avengers in the same way as Fury starting the Avengers was superb.

- And obviously the post credit scene, double spoilered...

Spoiler

To bring in an X-Man is one thing. To bring in Beast is another. To bring in Kelsey Grammar Beast is on a whole new level of squeal-enducing wonderfulness.

Probably shouldn't spoiler that I thought it was really fun, and a definite watch if you want to be entertained for 2 hours.

• Like 3

Spoiler

It wasn't anything special and throughout it just felt like I had seen this before. Either in the MCU or in Rick & Morty. The chemistry of Larson, Parris, and Vellani helped dig a lot of the movie out from just being uninspiring.

The two reveals at the end were fun but holy shit this will just get so convoluted. You have to be an absolute obsessive to want to follow multiple universes, timelines, etc. And good for you if that's what you want, but I can't be one of those people who spends that much energy on a single franchise.

7 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:
  Hide contents

It wasn't anything special and throughout it just felt like I had seen this before. Either in the MCU or in Rick & Morty. The chemistry of Larson, Parris, and Vellani helped dig a lot of the movie out from just being uninspiring.

The two reveals at the end were fun but holy shit this will just get so convoluted. You have to be an absolute obsessive to want to follow multiple universes, timelines, etc. And good for you if that's what you want, but I can't be one of those people who spends that much energy on a single franchise.

Spoiler

I expect that Secret War will end with one timeline for us to follow, and allow for stand-alone films and shows that take place outside of that. We shall call it... the Sacred Timeline.

2 hours ago, Gabriel said:
  Hide contents

I expect that Secret War will end with one timeline for us to follow, and allow for stand-alone films and shows that take place outside of that. We shall call it... the Sacred Timeline.

Spoiler

That's illustrating my point. "Come for this convoluted narrative structure so that the payoff is a less convoluted narrative structure, but with the opportunity to get convoluted again if we feel like it." is a bad idea in comic books let alone films.

There's a small subset of people who will spend enough time engrossed in the material to eat that shit up, most people will move on to things with more structure and formality.

I liked The Marvels.

Was it great?  Hell no!

Was it fun?  Fuck yes!

I loved watching Kamala geek out over meeting Captain Marvel and Nick Fury.

Granted, I still don't know why Kang is this huge threat to the multiverse, and it seems like the end of S2 of Loki gave them a away to get away from Kang/Jonathan Majors

• Like 1

Overall my feeling was it was a mid-to-lower-mid tier MCU movie but at least everyone in it seemed like they wanted to be there, which I can't say for Quantumania. There were occasional moments of inspiration and Iman Vellani remains one of the best finds they've made. Was a very light crowd at the theater I went to but pretty much everything they audibly reacted to (until SPOILER shows up in the mid-credits) was either the stuff with Kamala and her family or the stuff with Kamala and Carol. Was nice to see Brie Larson actually get to have some fun in one of these things for once, too.

For me it was a bit like... I don't think I could adequately explain the actual mechanics of what happened to anyone. I could tell the broad strokes of the plot and why the villain (who in grand lower-mid tier MCU film fashion is not a character but rather a character motivation and nothing else. This was the one area where I thought the movie was outright inferior to the first Captain Marvel, at least Yon-Rogg had a personality trait) wants to do what she's doing, but that's about it. There's at least one really good idea for a setting but they don't really stick around in it long enough to make the most of it.

Spoiler

But the one time the movie made me actually laugh out loud was "he's bilingual," so that's nice.

As for the mid-credits, wow, big year for Kelsey Grammer, huh? I don't... really know what to say about the X-Men thing. Maybe I'll have a stronger sense about how I feel about it when we see how Deadpool 3 starts reckoning with it.

Young Avengers or whatever they want to go with (could be the Champions?) could work for me. Hawkeye remains my favorite of the Disney+ shows so it's great seeing Kate Bishop again, and Kathryn Newton had one of the few performances I liked in Quantumania so I'm down to see more of Cassie.

The Marvels bombs with lowest MCU box office debut

This is so frustrating because there are far worse movies, MCU or otherwise, which have taken much more money.

No doubt this will be used as ammunition for the "go woke, go broke" brigade when three women, include two women of colour and noted anti-establishment Brie Larson headline a film that struggles. I'm sure the fact that the strike prevented anyone doing any publicity for it will be conveniently ignored.

• Like 3

What's the financial difference between pre and post Disney+? Appreciate there's a pandemic in there to muddle things, but I've personally only seen Guardians 3 in the cinema since I signed up, there's little motivation when you know you can watch it on tv 2 months later. Honestly wouldn't surprise me too much if they snuck it out for Christmas. 

I'm looking forward to it, but I can wait.

7 hours ago, Chris2K said:

The Marvels bombs with lowest MCU box office debut

This is so frustrating because there are far worse movies, MCU or otherwise, which have taken much more money.

No doubt this will be used as ammunition for the "go woke, go broke" brigade when three women, include two women of colour and noted anti-establishment Brie Larson headline a film that struggles. I'm sure the fact that the strike prevented anyone doing any publicity for it will be conveniently ignored.

I am so looking forward to people making that argument so we can just point at End Game which has like the 'wokest' scene ever when every woman ever helps Spidey move the gauntlet and yet still made eleventy quadrillion dollars.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/11/2023 at 19:43, GoGo Yubari said:

Huh! Sure?

Not bad casting by any means. But...

Rumors are: 1. Vanessa Kirby might be playing Sue. Excellent choice if true, except for one thing: She's 35. This better be a FF that's been around for a while, if they go with her.

2. What's NOT excellent is that Sue is going to be the focus of the movie, with Reed portrayed negatively.

3. FUCK THIS!, if true: The Silver Surfer is going to be a woman.

4. Anya-Taylor Joy as a villain. Possibly the aforementioned Silver Surfer. (Personally, I'd cast her as either Alicia Masters or Crystal.)

Edited by GhostMachine