Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

Finally saw Guardians 3, loved it, felt it was a big improvement on Vol. 2

James Gunn should be in charge of the entire Marvel Cosmic side of things, building to Annihilation, if not just leading this entire phase for Marvel.  I have my doubts about how some of his choices for DC films will go over, but I have no doubts Disney will regret losing him.

• Like 3

Saw GoTG3 tonight

Spoiler

Never cried more during the movie.  Every almost every scene with Rockets friends.  Rockets first word being "Hurts"  Floor repeating "Floor Rocket Teefs go now!" over and over just filled me with anxiety because I knew what was going to happen.

Rocket outsmarting The High Evolutionary without even realizing it was great.  I had totally forgotten about the gravity boots when they appeared again.

Ryan Reynolds isn't going to be happy that the first "Fuck" in the MCU didn't come from Deadpool

Draxx just knowing the language of those children and calming them down was brilliant.  Feel like they never really emphasized that he was a dad before he was a Guardian

• Like 1

Hey, @Chris2K have you heard the rumor about Groot and what he said...

Spoiler

Supposedly, when he says I love you guys, his mouth still is saying I am Groot, but that audience is able to understand him because of the emotional connection we have with the movie. Saw it explained on Reddit yesterday and thought it was a neat little Easter egg.

• Like 3

Ant-Man: Quantumania will be on Disney+ from tomorrow. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pooker said:

Hey, @Chris2K have you heard the rumor about Groot and what he said...

Hide contents

Supposedly, when he says I love you guys, his mouth still is saying I am Groot, but that audience is able to understand him because of the emotional connection we have with the movie. Saw it explained on Reddit yesterday and thought it was a neat little Easter egg.

This, along with everything @Lint mentioned made me sob like a baby. I cried through damn near half the movie. I've never had a movie absolutely annihilate me like this. Maybe the best MCU movie ever. I'll never watch it again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zero said:

This, along with everything @Lint mentioned made me sob like a baby. I cried through damn near half the movie. I've never had a movie absolutely annihilate me like this. Maybe the best MCU movie ever. I'll never watch it again. 

When...

Spoiler

Rocket said his first word, and he just cries "Hurts!"

I seriously considered walking out.  I don't care if it's CGI, I can't deal with animals being hurt

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, Brandon Cutler Fan Account said:

Seth Rollins has apparently been cast in the next Captain America film.

Not going to be a patch on that one movie he was in with Wesley Snipes.

6 hours ago, Lint said:

When...

Hide contents

Rocket said his first word, and he just cries "Hurts!"

I seriously considered walking out.  I don't care if it's CGI, I can't deal with animals being hurt

My wife is the same way. She works with animals, so seeing them get hurt was very hard for her. 

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Well, that was fine. 

I watched it tonight too. Decent. 

20 hours ago, Colly said:

I don't think I'd go that far, even if the fine/decent line is tricky to quantify.

I watched it last night and thought it was one of the worst they've ever made. I wonder if part of that is watching post Jonathan Majors allegations, who previously was one of my favourite working actors and it sort of meant I couldn't really enjoy his performance, which was objectively great.

Honestly, alongside Love and Thunder, I feel we're seeing evidence on the screen that the people making these films no longer want to be making them. It's easily one of the worst looking Marvel films made, the script is pretty shoddy, nothing really happens and Michael Douglas absolutely doesn't want to be there. It was fun in parts, but I mostly thought it was a mess. 

I'll see Guardians in the cinema, but I think I'll be picking and choosing more in the future, whereas they all used to be must-see events for me. I think the MCU has totally lost its way in Phase 4.

Spoiler

That said, the MODIK design was so grotesque and funny, I have to say I enjoyed that. The rest of his arc, especially the "don't be a dick" stuff was absolutely dreadful. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Modok was absolutely the high point for me, I'd rather they embraced absurdity given the material.

Agree on Guardians though, I'm looking forward to seeing it as it feels just enough outside the rest to not suffer from phase 4 malaise. I did enjoy Love and Thunder more than most though.

9 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I watched it last night and thought it was one of the worst they've ever made. I wonder if part of that is watching post Jonathan Majors allegations, who previously was one of my favourite working actors and it sort of meant I couldn't really enjoy his performance, which was objectively great.

Honestly, alongside Love and Thunder, I feel we're seeing evidence on the screen that the people making these films no longer want to be making them. It's easily one of the worst looking Marvel films made, the script is pretty shoddy, nothing really happens and Michael Douglas absolutely doesn't want to be there. It was fun in parts, but I mostly thought it was a mess. 

I'll see Guardians in the cinema, but I think I'll be picking and choosing more in the future, whereas they all used to be must-see events for me. I think the MCU has totally lost its way in Phase 4.

Hide contents

That said, the MODIK design was so grotesque and funny, I have to say I enjoyed that. The rest of his arc, especially the "don't be a dick" stuff was absolutely dreadful. 

Oh, I can't imagine ever watching it again because pretty much the saving grace of the movie for me was how well it sold Jonathan Majors as Kang, a thing that I no longer really want to be sold on. The thing in your spoiler is one of the other bright spots for me and like you said, they basically ended up doing nothing fun with it.

I definitely agree that the general vibe in both it and Love and Thunder is "man, do any of you actually want to still be here?" more than anything else and for Quantumania it pretty much felt like the answer was "Jonathan Majors and maybe Kathryn Newton." And it only gets worse after seeing GotG vol. 3 and seeing what ideas Gunn still had in the chamber for making weird, fantastical worlds vs. what we get in Quantumania.

• Like 1

Yeah, Quantummania kind of sucked. There was a gem of an interesting idea with the Quantum Realm, but they didn't do anything with it, so it's just like a discount Guardians of the Galaxy. Kang started off interesting, with a very strong performance, but Majors turned out to be a scumbag and Kang turned into a generic villain by the end anyway - and if the hammy variants we saw in the post-credits were any indication where it was going, good riddance.

I also thought Rudd wasn't great in this one tbh, though not sure how much of that was the crappy dialogue he had to say.

Just re-cast Kang and pretend they have been there all along. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brandon Cutler Fan Account said:

I agree, re-cast Kathryn Hahn as Kang.

KHahng it is!