Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

I don't really have any issue with the Silver Surfer being a woman, if that happens. I don't really know why they'd go that route but I also don't think there's anything intrinsically male about that character, like nothing about the Silver Surfer as I engage with that character really changes if it's a woman instead.

Sue makes sense as the point-of-view character. She's the heart of that team. Reed's too aloof, Johnny's too rash, so it's basically Sue or Ben and I think you get a better intersection of the human elements and the science/fantastical elements if the movie spends more time through her eyes than the others.

• Like 5

Reed Richards should be portrayed negatively. Pretty much every good version of that character is a self-centred narcissist. He called himself "Mr Fantastic", for fuck's sake.

• Like 12

14 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I don't really have any issue with the Silver Surfer being a woman, if that happens. I don't really know why they'd go that route but I also don't think there's anything intrinsically male about that character, like nothing about the Silver Surfer as I engage with that character really changes if it's a woman instead.

I've stayed mostly out of film rumours etc but irritatingly I do occasionally use Facebook and between all the ads and weird gym videos I did come across someone who said that rather than a "female Silver Surfer" it's actually more likely to be the Frankie Raye Nova as Galactus' herald. Not sure how true that or even the initial rumour will end up, but probably a daft storm (pun unintended) in a teacup anyway.

45 minutes ago, Skummy said:

Reed Richards should be portrayed negatively. Pretty much every good version of that character is a self-centred narcissist. He called himself "Mr Fantastic", for fuck's sake.

And honestly, it's what the MCU needs in the absence of Tony Stark, the dissenting personality in the room that the moral compasses can butt heads with.

• Like 3

Gotta say, going in with little expectations, I really enjoyed The Marvels. The mid-credits stinger was a fun one too - and seemingly actually important for once! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It really looks like Jonathan Majors, whether found guilty or not guilty, has to be replaced as Kang without question.

Some of the evidence (documented here) is showing him to be quite the narcissistic egomaniac, comparing his acting as being "a great thing for his culture and the world" and comparing himself to Martin Luther King Jr and Barack Obama, as well as gaslighting his partner/accuser into behaving in a way that does nothing to affect his image and threatening to kill himself because she didn't hug him before she left one morning.

He should go away please, and while he's away, get some serious help.

On 14/12/2023 at 17:28, Chris2K said:

It really looks like Jonathan Majors, whether found guilty or not guilty, has to be replaced as Kang without question.

Some of the evidence (documented here) is showing him to be quite the narcissistic egomaniac, comparing his acting as being "a great thing for his culture and the world" and comparing himself to Martin Luther King Jr and Barack Obama, as well as gaslighting his partner/accuser into behaving in a way that does nothing to affect his image and threatening to kill himself because she didn't hug him before she left one morning.

He should go away please, and while he's away, get some serious help.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

So we go get to speculate about who replaces him now. Any ideas? I don't really know actors until I see them in stuff. I didn't even know who Majors was until I saw him in Loki Season 1

Colman Domingo would be my pick.

42 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I think they just move on from the character entirely.

The fact that they could probably pull that off without much trouble just goes to show how much the producers of the MCU have lost the plot and what a directionless mess the MCU has become. In the early phases it always felt like they were building toward something. Like they had an end goal in mind. But past Endgame it feels like they are just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. Hell, soon it will be 5 years since Endgame arrived in cinemas and they just started teasing at rebuilding the Avengers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Your Mom said:

So we go get to speculate about who replaces him now. Any ideas? I don't really know actors until I see them in stuff. I didn't even know who Majors was until I saw him in Loki Season 1

How about Bokeem Woodbine? He was ace in Fargo. 

Having not seen Loki 2 or The Marvels is there scope to just pivot away from Kang altogether and just bring back the High Evolutionary instead? He was brilliant in Guardians and is hardly damaged by dying in that one given Ant Man took out Kang.