Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

7 minutes ago, Kazuma KiRuki said:

I'm looking forward to Guardians next month. I'm hoping that's a return to form, the last few (Black Panther 2, Thor Love & Thunder, potentially Ant-Man? Haven't seen it yet) have been pretty meh. 

Confirming that Ant-Man was very meh. 

• Like 1

I've been treating the MCU the same way I treat the comics for the last little while. There are always issues or entire story-arc's that are just treading water or completely naff in the books. As long as they're fun or advance the story or give me a look at something interesting, I see them as worth my time.

I do agree though, that the event hype for the MCU is dwindling... but that may just be because we're world building and leading to the big event.

I guess, at the beginning, the movies all felt like major wrestling PPVs. Now it's feeling like more and more of them are an episode of Raw or Nitro.

That's not a bad thing, necessarily, but if they aren't careful, it could lead to severely diminished returns. I think moving some of the films away from being big event style theatrical releases could help. Like, do a tiered system for releasing... some movies are theatrical only for a few months... some maybe go straight to Disney+ with the option for theatres to show them if they choose... then you've got your Disney+ series'.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Clip from GOTG3:

Hide contents

I have no idea how I am going to emotionally deal with this movie.

I'm already sad about whatever happens to Teefs and Floor :(

• 2 weeks later...

Guardians 3 is...

Spoiler

Fantastic, obviously. I'm genuinely stunned by some of the decisions, mainly that... (final warning)

Spoiler

None of them died. Not even walking death spoiler Drax. Those trailers did a fine job of hyping up the emotional stakes and then giving us the ultimate happy ending anyway. So I ended up crying, but happy tears instead of my expected sad ones. I'm afraid Lyla and the animal gang were too new for their inevitable deaths to affect me.

I think whether James Gunn likes it or not we're going to see more of these characters, if they've got Pratt to agree to do a solo Star-Lord movie I think they'll be able to do a new Guardians film with the cast that want to come back, which sounds like it's everyone except Batista and Zoe Saldana.

Only slight down note was having Groot say something other than I am Groot, it was incredibly off-putting. And I did have to laugh that, just a few months after Gunn saying he doesn't put his wife in everything he does, Jennifer Holland is in the movie, because of course she is.

Better spoiler it just in case, but it has absolutely zero plot information other than answering the question:

Spoiler

They both have the Marvel Studios logo. That is the totality of the link to this film and anything else in the MCU other than the Guardians films and specials.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have to concur with Chris2K's opinion. The movie was really good. Unlike Taika Waititi, James Gunn still delivers. I'm sad to see him go from the MCU but I'm also curious to see his vision for the DCEU once this writer's strike is sorted out (hopefully in favor of the writers).

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Guardians 3 is...

Hide contents

Fantastic, obviously. I'm genuinely stunned by some of the decisions, mainly that... (final warning)

Hide contents

None of them died. Not even walking death spoiler Drax. Those trailers did a fine job of hyping up the emotional stakes and then giving us the ultimate happy ending anyway. So I ended up crying, but happy tears instead of my expected sad ones. I'm afraid Lyla and the animal gang were too new for their inevitable deaths to affect me.

I think whether James Gunn likes it or not we're going to see more of these characters, if they've got Pratt to agree to do a solo Star-Lord movie I think they'll be able to do a new Guardians film with the cast that want to come back, which sounds like it's everyone except Batista and Zoe Saldana.

Only slight down note was having Groot say something other than I am Groot, it was incredibly off-putting. And I did have to laugh that, just a few months after Gunn saying he doesn't put his wife in everything he does, Jennifer Holland is in the movie, because of course she is.

Spoiler

I feel like you could read it as the first time the audience hears Groot say something other than I Am Groot, but that he does still say I Am Groot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:
  Hide contents

I feel like you could read it as the first time the audience hears Groot say something other than I Am Groot, but that he does still say I Am Groot.

Spoiler

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, and it's a nice touch.

I think my negative reaction is heavily based on having to sit through a 3 minute narration by Vin Diesel in a Fast X trailer before GOTG3 started, so hearing his non-Groot voice again made me irrationally angry.

• Haha 1

I'd say it was this or No Way Home. But probably this. If I had criticisms it'd probably be that

Spoiler

I thought it peaked really early with all the Orgocorp stuff which was just loads of fun and then did something convincingly surreal/weird with Counter-Earth and then it was just spending a lot of time in dark rooms. "No Sleep Til Brooklyn" sequence did rule, though, and there were definitely some really good character moments, but in the last 45 minutes or so I definitely started feeling a little restless.

Could have done with more Adam Warlock, too. Very fun character who spent like an hour being like "hey, don't forget, this character's still here" every twenty minutes just so you knew he'd either be pivotal in defeating High Evolutionary (nope) or saving someone (yup). 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I'd say it was this or No Way Home. But probably this. If I had criticisms it'd probably be that

Hide contents

I thought it peaked really early with all the Orgocorp stuff which was just loads of fun and then did something convincingly surreal/weird with Counter-Earth and then it was just spending a lot of time in dark rooms. "No Sleep Til Brooklyn" sequence did rule, though, and there were definitely some really good character moments, but in the last 45 minutes or so I definitely started feeling a little restless.

Could have done with more Adam Warlock, too. Very fun character who spent like an hour being like "hey, don't forget, this character's still here" every twenty minutes just so you knew he'd either be pivotal in defeating High Evolutionary (nope) or saving someone (yup). 

Spoiler

My only minor criticisms are the fact I had to look up who the girl joining the team at the end was, and was amazed to see it was Phyla-Vell. Either I zoned out when her name was mentioned, or it wasn't mentioned at all - either way, a character that notable feels like they should have been better introduced.

And as you say, Adam Warlock felt under-used. That said, it's nice that an iconic thing of such stature has finally arrived in the MCU; The Yorkshire accent.

Spoiler

Loved the movie. GotG was and still is my favorite MCU movie and this movie didn't disappoint. I had a feeling Rocket wouldn't die even though everyone thought it would happen. They did get me with Quill though, I thought with the whole going back for the Zune thing because of how music was tied into him and the whole group, that it would be a good way to end the character after he helped save Rocket, if Pratt was done. Then I realized Adam Warlock was still around and needed something to do. 😆

Edited by punky

13 hours ago, Chris2K said:
  Hide contents

My only minor criticisms are the fact I had to look up who the girl joining the team at the end was, and was amazed to see it was Phyla-Vell. Either I zoned out when her name was mentioned, or it wasn't mentioned at all - either way, a character that notable feels like they should have been better introduced.

And as you say, Adam Warlock felt under-used. That said, it's nice that an iconic thing of such stature has finally arrived in the MCU; The Yorkshire accent.

Spoiler

I *assume* they might expand on her more in The Marvels? So maybe just didn't feel they needed to really introduce her with much initial fanfare.

As for my thoughts on the movie. It peaked early, not that the last third wasn't good but I agree with GoGo the best stuff was early on. Nathan Fillion was wonderful and that's a welcome way to do a "celebrity cameo" in these things. Really everything Orgocorp was top notch and up there with the other most memorable acts in the MCU. It was everything GotG does well in one 40 minute package.

Adam Warlock was a bit tedious, but we were saved from a long, forcefully-inserted backstory about him. We got a lot of reminders he was still around and I think that's always kind of talking down to your audience/thinking they're dumber than they are. But extremely minor in the overall scope of the film.