FIFA World Cup 2018

Lineker

53 minutes ago, PanamAdam said:

It doesn't have to be intentional. Fact is Australia had a header on goal blocked by the upturned arm of an opponent. So it's a penalty and a yellow card rather than a red. Blatant for me and the studio bickering highlighted once again why ITV's coverage is inferior. Martin O'Neill was talking absolute rubbish and it quickly descended into all-out bickering between all four of them.

I totally disagree. A handball is an intentional use of the arm to interfere with play, as happened in the Colombia/Japan game. This was an unavoidable and in the moment deflection while the player was already in the air challenging for the ball.

7 minutes ago, Naitch said:

I totally disagree. A handball is an intentional use of the arm to interfere with play, as happened in the Colombia/Japan game. This was an unavoidable and in the moment deflection while the player was already in the air challenging for the ball.

To Slaven Bilic's point then, why do we see so many penalties (and free kicks) awarded for handball when it is not a deliberate motion towards the ball? By this logic only severe matters of cheating such as Suarez against Ghana should be given. Otherwise we should be free to wave our arms around in the box at will.

You have to apply common sense to each situation, Poulsen has his hand up at head level when the ball hits him. Australia are denied an attempt on target by his hand, is that fair? I'd say no. Therefore this is not an unavoidable instance of the ball hitting someone's hand.

In the previous game, Samuel Umtiti has put his arm in the air and handled it, penalty. But he didn't stick his arm in the air intentionally intending to hit the ball with his hand, unless he forgot he was a footballer and thought this was a basketball game. So by the logic of an infringement having to be deliberate by the letter of the dictionary, this isn't a foul either.

The usual interpretation of this law is that it is a penalty if the ball hits the arm or hand when it shouldn't, I.E. when it isn't from point blank range and the player's arm is in a position it doesn't have to be in naturally. Poulsen for me fits this criteria here and therefore the VAR has got the decision right.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen a player handle the ball in the box knowing full well that's what he's doing. But a great deal many more penalties have been given through the years for handball.

4 minutes ago, PanamAdam said:

To Slaven Bilic's point then, why do we see so many penalties (and free kicks) awarded for handball when it is not a deliberate motion towards the ball? By this logic only severe matters of cheating such as Suarez against Ghana should be given. Otherwise we should be free to wave our arms around in the box at will.

You have to apply common sense to each situation, Poulsen has his hand up at head level when the ball hits him. Australia are denied an attempt on target by his hand, is that fair? I'd say no. Therefore this is not an unavoidable instance of the ball hitting someone's hand.

In the previous game, Samuel Umtiti has put his arm in the air and handled it, penalty. But he didn't stick his arm in the air intentionally intending to hit the ball with his hand, unless he forgot he was a footballer and thought this was a basketball game. So by the logic of an infringement having to be deliberate by the letter of the dictionary, this isn't a foul either.

The usual interpretation of this law is that it is a penalty if the ball hits the arm or hand when it shouldn't, I.E. when it isn't from point blank range and the player's arm is in a position it doesn't have to be in naturally. Poulsen for me fits this criteria here and therefore the VAR has got the decision right.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen a player handle the ball in the box knowing full well that's what he's doing. But a great deal many more penalties have been given through the years for handball.

All of those decisions are clearly wrong too. Pretty simple.

Fuck I hate Australia whinging like bitches everytime we don't win a game, but even I acknowledge that was a penalty. He had his arm ABOVE HIS HEAD and blocked the ball. It doesn't have to be intentional, but who the fuck puts their arm ABOVE THEIR HEAD.

My question in regards to decisions being made this tournament has always been why was Umtiti not given a card for his handball against Australia?

Australia played like utter garbage in the first half and didn't even deserve that goal. They picked it up in the second half though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LUKIEv said:

Fuck I hate Australia whinging like bitches everytime we don't win a game, but even I acknowledge that was a penalty. He had his arm ABOVE HIS HEAD and blocked the ball. It doesn't have to be intentional, but who the fuck puts their arm ABOVE THEIR HEAD.

My question in regards to decisions being made this tournament has always been why was Umtiti not given a card for his handball against Australia?

Australia played like utter garbage in the first half and didn't even deserve that goal. They picked it up in the second half though.

For once it is good to see Australians not cheating with a ball

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Naitch said:

All of those decisions are clearly wrong too. Pretty simple.

It's pretty simple that hundreds of referees around the world make wrong decisions on the same instance on a regular basis when they are the ones who know the rulebook better than anyone? I don't think so.

Not sure how I feel about this game. If France win and Argentina don't tonight then we're looking good for France v Argentina in Round 2, but I like Peru and them winning would throw this group wide open.

Find a rulebook which doesn't explicitly use the word 'deliberate' and I'll accept your point. The referee's decision is clearly final in a live game but that doesn't stop it from being the wrong call.

It's a little convoluted if they draw but Argentina not beating Croatia tonight could see them not even make it to the second round. A draw tonight and Iceland beating Nigeria would mean Argentina have to beat Nigeria to stand a chance of progressing, and a Croatia/Iceland draw would bring it down to goal difference, meaning Argentina would have to score more against Nigeria than Iceland do tomorrow to avoid it being decided on discipline. Croatia and Iceland both winning would obviously be even worse for Argentina, but not impossible.

• Like 1

That was very dull. Peru didn't do enough and France were so underwhelming again.

I see the media has 'leaked' the England team based on a glimpse at Steve Holland's notes during training. What is wrong with them? Sad, sad twats.