FIFA World Cup 2018

Lineker

12 hours ago, MexicoJack said:

Unrelated, but I'm amused by all the "arrival/emergence of Mbappe" takes there are already. The guys a back to back Ligue 1 winner and the second most expensive player of all time. Safe to say he's already arrived.

Sure, but players tend to "arrive" with a big performance on the biggest stage, like Pele or Michael Owen in a World Cup. What has Mbappe actually done that we can remember before now? Ligue 1 isn't the big stage really in any way, shape or form.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PanamAdam said:

Sure, but players tend to "arrive" with a big performance on the biggest stage, like Pele or Michael Owen in a World Cup. What has Mbappe actually done that we can remember before now? Ligue 1 isn't the big stage really in any way, shape or form.

How about the Champions League then?

He's hardly Santiago Munez and the press should stop pretending like he is.

Mbappe is scarily like a young Henry, only much better than Henry was at his age. I don't think he'll ever get to Ronaldo/Messi level, nobody in our lifetime is likely to but he's going to be very good. Mbappe being stuck in Ligue 1 and playing second fiddle to Neymar is going to do him no favours either..

I just want him to win a Balon D'or with PSG before Neymar does.

57 minutes ago, MexicoJack said:

How about the Champions League then?

He's hardly Santiago Munez and the press should stop pretending like he is.

I suppose it's how many eyes are going to be on the product. Unless you're a keen football fan and will know how good he has been I imagine for a lot of casual football fans this would potentially be their first chance of seeing him perform to this level. 

That and the World Cup is going to have a lot more viewers than Champions League matches between the likes of Monaco/Dortmund in terms of a global scale but nationally as well. Like my granddad won't see any of the champions league as he only has freeview whereas he's probably seen a lot of the world cup with it being on ITV and BBC.

So I can see both sides of it really. From a keen football fan view it's not really a big arrival for a lot of people. But for a lot of other people it is. 

• Like 2

Obviously, he's not come from nowhere, but I think in fifteen years or so when we're reflecting on his career, that game 'where he tore Argentina to pieces in the knockout phase of a World Cup' will be one of the ones that are remembered.

• Like 6