The Emirates FA Cup 2019/20

Lineker

• Admin

Here's a lovely start to this year's thread: 

The FA Cup fourth-qualifying-round tie between Haringey Borough and Yeovil was abandoned after allegations that a home player was racially abused.

The home players walked off the field 64 minutes in, shortly after Yeovil had scored. “Sorry for the late update but wanted to make sure we gave correct information,” said a post on the official Haringey Borough Twitter account. “Game has been abandoned following racial abuse. Horrendous afternoon. It must be said that 99.9% of YTFC fans are also disgusted by what’s happened as much as we are. One club, one community.”

Yeovil were leading 1-0 when Haringey’s players walked off the field, with the target of the abuse reported to be goalkeeper Valery Pajetat. Ben James, a Haringey fan, was at the game and gave the PA news agency his account.

“We were stood toward the other end so can’t comment on what we heard,” he said. “But it all began when the referee gave Yeovil a penalty. It seemed like their fans were trying to wind up the Haringey goalie by shaking the net and the like.

“Valery [Pajeta, the Haringey keeper] went towards their fans and seemed to have a bit of a conversation before coming away as if he’d been hit with something. The referee then removed what looked like a bottle or a can. There was a bit of a pause while the referee dealt with what went on and players from both sides tried to quell what had gone on.

“The penalty was taken and the Haringey manager marched straight on and withdrew his players as this was happening. The Haringey players seemed pretty agitated, Coby Rowe in particular having to be held back.

“I’m a Haringey fan, have been coming to games for a couple of years. They came back on [both Yeovil and Haringey players] to applaud the fans but that was it. But the game is abandoned. There were a few stewards but the police have been called since and are here now.”

The First Round draw will be on Monday. Notts will be in it, having romped to a convincing 2-1 victory over the mighty Belper Town today. Also in the hat will be Potters Bar Town, who drew 1-1 with Barnet after an equaliser in the tenth minute of added time.

I find this one a bit strange, obviously it's absolutely horrible but given it was away fans doing it at an FA Cup qualifier surely the offending pricks could have just been removed? What was the attendance?

• Admin

Not sure. Here's a more complete write-up: 

An FA Cup tie was abandoned after Haringey Borough's manager took his team off the field amid accusations of racism, bottle throwing and spitting.

Home keeper Valery Douglas Pajetat was reportedly spat at and hit by an object thrown from the Yeovil Town end.

Defender Coby Rowe was then "racially abused", according to Haringey boss Tom Loizou, who said "there was no way I could let him continue".

"If we get punished and thrown out, I don't care," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

The match, played at non-league side Haringey's home ground Coles Park Stadium, was in the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup, with the winner set to progress to the first-round proper.

"It's very distressing," said Loizou. "The abuse a few of my players got was disgusting.

"Yeovil's players and manager were different class. Their team tried to calm their supporters down, they tried their best and they supported us - they said 'if you're walking off we're walking off with you'.

"I took the decision to take my team off and I don't want Yeovil Town to get punished for it. If we get thrown out of the FA Cup and they go through, there is no hard feelings there.

"I have not done it for any other reason than looking into my players' faces and seeing how distraught they were. They are not used to this."

The incident comes four days after England's Euro 2020 qualifier in Bulgaria was halted twice as fans were warned about racist behaviour, including Nazi salutes and monkey chanting.

In a statement issued on Saturday evening, the Football Association said it was "deeply concerned about the allegation of discrimination".

It added: "There is no room for discrimination in our game and we are working with the match officials and the relevant authorities, as a matter of urgency, to fully establish the facts and take the appropriate steps."

Visitors Yeovil were leading 1-0 through a Rhys Murphy penalty when the game was halted in the 64th minute.

There was a long delay for that spot-kick to be taken, with Haringey goalkeeper Pajetat reportedly initially struck by an object from the stands.

Shortly after Murphy scored, play was suspended as the hosts left the field.

About 35 minutes later, it was confirmed the match had officially been abandoned, with BT Sport reporting that Pajetat was both racially abused and spat at by visiting fans.

Haringey said on Twitter: "Sorry for the late update but wanted to make sure we gave correct information. Game has been abandoned following racial abuse. Horrendous afternoon.

"It must be said that 99.9% of [Yeovil] fans are also disgusted by what's happened as much as we are. One club, one community."

Yeovil Town manager Darren Sarll told BBC Somerset: "On behalf of Yeovil Town, we fully support Haringey and we stand together.

"The players and I decided we'd support [Haringey] and make a stand together, and be stronger with togetherness.

"I want Haringey and our football club to know we don't condone anything of that nature, if there was anything of that nature.

"We, footballers and managers, get a lot of abuse but nobody should feel discriminated against when they come to play football.

"I'd do anything to win but there are certain levels and lines I'd never go over. There was no way I'd support racial discrimination.

"I feel we've done the right thing. I'm not going to feel anything other than proud for the way the players conducted themselves.

"Now the authorities will take care of what they need to take care of."

The campaign group Kick It Out said in a statement on social media: "These reports of alleged racist abuse aimed at goalkeeper Valery Douglas Pajetat yet again means players are continuing to receive discriminatory abuse while doing their job.

"The Haringey manager and players took swift and decisive action as a result of the abuse, similar to that taken by the England team out in Bulgaria.

"Kick It Out has informed The FA and will support the club in identifying the offender(s) to ensure appropriate action is taken and strong punishment issued.

"We would also like to offer our full support to Douglas and all at Haringey Borough FC."

Chichester get a bye to the Second Round, receiving the prize money as well. It would be great if they managed to make it through to the Third Round and got a draw against Premier League opposition. Either that or a showdown with Potters Bar.

Notts will travel to either Ebbsfleet or Woking, which I'm not greatly optimistic for. I expect it will end up being Woking, who are in good form at the moment.

Great reaction to the Orient/Maldon & Tiptree draw as well.

• Admin

Full FA Cup first round draw

Ipswich Town v Lincoln City
Oxford City v Solihull Moors
Crawley Town v Scunthorpe United
Harrogate Town v Portsmouth
Colchester United v Coventry City
Sunderland v Gillingham
Dulwich Hamlet v Carlisle United
Bolton Wanderers v Plymouth
York City v Altrincham
Chesterfield/Wrexham v Rochdale
Maidstone United v Torquay United
Leyton Orient v Maldon & Tiptree
Chippenham Town v Northampton Town
Haringey Borough/Yeovil (match to be replayed) v Hartlepool
Cambridge United v Exeter City
Whitby Town/Stourbridge v Welling United/Eastleigh
Salford City v Burton Albion
Forest Green v Sutton United/Billericay
Bristol Rovers v Bromley
Ebbsfleet/Woking v Notts County
Walsall v Darlington
Nantwich Town v AFC Fylde
AFC Wimbledon v Doncaster Rovers
Hayes & Yeading/Poole v Oxford United
Shrewsbury Town v Bradford City
Grimsby Town v Newport County
Gateshead v Oldham Athletic
Mansfield Town v Chorley
Dover Athletic v Southend United
Tranmere v Wycombe
Carshalton Athletic v Boston United
Cheltenham Town v Swindon Town
Accrington Stanley v Crewe
Potters Bar/Barnet v Fleetwood Town
Macclesfield v Kingstonian
Maidenhead/Wealdstone v Rotherham United
Blackpool v Morecambe
MK Dons v Port Vale
Stevenage v Peterborough United

Non-league Chichester City - the lowest ranked club in the FA Cup - received a bye to the second round following Bury's removal from the competition. All matches to be played 8-11 November.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Macclesfield players have gone on strike over unpaid wages, putting the club's place in the the FA Cup both this season and in 2020-21 at risk.

Players did not train on Wednesday and will refuse to turn out against Kingstonian in round one on Sunday unless they receive October's wages.

FA Cup rules state that an unsatisfactory reason for withdrawing from the competition could see a club barred from it the following season.

Some staff members are also on strike.

The Silkmen have been contacted by the BBC for comment.

The Football Association's professional game board, who make decisions on the organisation and management of the Cup, "shall take such action as it deems appropriate" where a club fails to fulfil a fixture.

Rule 7 (d) of the FA Cup rules states: "A club failing to give satisfactory reason for withdrawing from the competition shall in addition to any other action considered appropriate not be allowed to enter the competition in the following season and shall be liable to such fine as the professional game board considers appropriate."

Going on strike and putting the club's place in the Cup in jeopardy is the latest move taken by players against the Moss Rose club.

Macclesfield have previously been taken to court by players over unpaid wages and in May, under then manager Sol Campbell, they considered boycotting the final match of last season for similar reasons.

Money earned in the competition has previously helped League Two side Macclesfield survive.

And while defeat in the first round would earn the club nothing, getting through to round two is worth £36,000 in prize money.

You'd think the prospect of earning £36k to go towards paying your wages would be reason enough to turn out for that match. They're in League Two, surely that amount could cover a good chunk of the wage bill for a little while?

1 hour ago, Naitch said:

You'd think the prospect of earning £36k to go towards paying your wages would be reason enough to turn out for that match. They're in League Two, surely that amount could cover a good chunk of the wage bill for a little while?

Why should they? They haven't been paid more than enough times by the club to know that there's no guarantee they'd ever see that money. Plus, assuming the squad are paid around £1k-£2k a week each, then £36k would barely cover a fortnight's wages for the whole squad, if that.

I know you're not suggesting that the players are at fault for not getting their earned wages by the way, just feel it needs pointing out. Macclesfield have been doing this for a long while now and it needs to stop. Wouldn't blame any of those players for walking away.

On 21/10/2019 at 20:29, Bobfoc said:

Chichester get a bye to the Second Round, receiving the prize money as well. It would be great if they managed to make it through to the Third Round and got a draw against Premier League opposition. Either that or a showdown with Potters Bar.

They are making a donation to Bury as well.

36 minutes ago, Adam said:

Why should they? They haven't been paid more than enough times by the club to know that there's no guarantee they'd ever see that money. Plus, assuming the squad are paid around £1k-£2k a week each, then £36k would barely cover a fortnight's wages for the whole squad, if that.

I know you're not suggesting that the players are at fault for not getting their earned wages by the way, just feel it needs pointing out. Macclesfield have been doing this for a long while now and it needs to stop. Wouldn't blame any of those players for walking away.

True but this is a game with a known amount of prize money. I don't know how much a club earns on average per league game, but playing (and winning) this game would make it clear that Macclesfield have the ability to pay off up to £36k of what they owe the players. If the club failed to pledge that that's exactly what they'll do with said prize money, then power to the players to act as they see fit.

The BBC haven't half bastardised the 1st Round weekend as best they can. Nearly all of the interesting Non-League vs League Side fixtures are being played tomorrow lunchtime for that stupid "live highlights" show. This afternoon looks pretty barren outside of Maidenhead v Rotherham (which is where Final Score is today), there's only two other games that you would class as the classic cup tie, and they both involve recent NL sides as the supposed "giant" - Forest Green v Billericay and Mansfield v Chorley.

I just think that really is a shame.

6 hours ago, Adam said:

, there's only two other games that you would class as the classic cup tie, and they both involve recent NL sides as the supposed "giant" - Forest Green v Billericay and Mansfield v Chorley.

... and Orient vs Malden and Tiptree in a classic Triple Threat.