UFC News and Discussion Thread

Bonnar/Griffin brought the UFC into mainstream perception. They both fully deserve to be inducted.

then couldn't they have put the fight into the hof, rather than the fighters?

had bonnar/griffin not have happened, the ufc would still be there.

we putting koscheck and leben in there too presumably, as their fight got bigger ratings and paved the way for people to care about bonnar/griffin?

There's an argument to be made that without the Bonnar/Griffin fight, the UFC would have been on its' last legs. So many interviews have brought this up and said that the UFC was in big time trouble before The Ultimate Fighter turned into a hit.

Numbers aside, Stephan Bonnar and Forrest Griffin were what people were talking about for months afterwards. It wasn't "Hey did you watch the UFC that night?" It was, "Hey, did you see Bonnar and Griffin slug it out for fifteen minutes? Holy shit that was awesome!"

What they're rewarding here is the fact that the company was potentially on the ropes at the time, and the two men fought a fight that brought so many new viewers in, on that night AND in the future. This is about the legacy of what happened, and if there's one fight to pinpoint where the UFC made its' big resurgance and broke through into the mainstream, it was this fight.

The Hall of Fame has never been about who was the best all around, not in any sport. Babe Ruth is considered to be one of Baseball's great legends, but everyone forgets that his numbers weren't that great. There are tons of guys who played in the same era that had much better numbers than Ruth and never got into the Hall of Fame. That's because it's not about being the best, it's about the legacy you leave and what you meant to the sport.

Stephan Bonnar helped to save mixed martial arts in North America. He belongs.

The Hall of Fame has never been about who was the best all around, not in any sport. Babe Ruth is considered to be one of Baseball's great legends, but everyone forgets that his numbers weren't that great. There are tons of guys who played in the same era that had much better numbers than Ruth and never got into the Hall of Fame. That's because it's not about being the best, it's about the legacy you leave and what you meant to the sport.

Lol, no. He retired as the all time leader in HRs and RBIs, is still 3rd and 2nd in those categories respectively, and is 10th all time in batting average. New sabremetric stats back him up, as he has the highest WAR ( Wins above Replacement) of all time. You could not have chosen a worse example for your point.

• Like 1

Alright, let's go with something I know better then, and something a bit more related to the UFC.

The WWE inducted Ron Simmons into their Hall of Fame in 2012. I like Ron Simmons. He contributed a lot to world of pro wrestling, but he was never a major star. Not really. He's in the Hall of Fame due to his status with the WWE and the fact that he was the first black World Heavyweight Champion. Something he did in WCW, way before he ever made a name for himself in the WWE. Most people don't even remember he was a World Champion, but he broke the barrier and opened the doors for other wrestlers of color to lay claim to the top prizes in the sport.

Ron Simmons, like Stephan Bonnar, hardly had a career that was Hall of Fame worthy from start to finish. But the things he accomplished along the way will have a lasting effect on the sport, and his legacy belongs there.

Stephan Bonnar's post fight career will consist of him appearing backstage as UFC fighters warm up and shouting 'DAMN!' at them.

Lol, but Gabriel, I don't think the WWE's HOF is a great example, either, because just about anybody can get in there. I see your point, though, and I guess there's merit to it.

Oh, and they've announced Condit versus Kampmann (2?) for the second UFC on Fox Sports card as the main event in Indy. Have they already announced the main event for the first, though? Is it Mir versus Barnett?

Lol, but Gabriel, I don't think the WWE's HOF is a great example, either, because just about anybody can get in there. I see your point, though, and I guess there's merit to it.

Oh, and they've announced Condit versus Kampmann (2?) for the second UFC on Fox Sports card as the main event in Indy. Have they already announced the main event for the first, though? Is it Mir versus Barnett?

Not yet. Mir/Barnett is at 164.

Oh, and this

But the ex-Strikeforce champ and current UFC contender got a surprise of her own – an unwelcome one – when she heard the referee of her previous bout, Kim Winslow, may be overseeing fights on the reality show.

"I think she sucks as a referee," Tate told told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I heard she's going to be refereeing this season, and I think that sucks, too."

is yet another reason to hate Miesha Tate. I know Kim Windslow gets loads of stick but really?

Oh, and Connor McGregor vs Andy Ogle; and Mike Brown vs Akira Corassani have been added to Fox sports 1

I think Miesha has realised she is always going to be the 'heel' against Ronda and is embracing it.

That, or Caraway's cuntishness is sexually transmitted.

• Like 1

Why not complain about a referee who hasn't got a clue about what she's doing? She's going to be responsible for 8 people on her team, she doesn't want to see any of them get screwed over by shitty reffing.

Not yet. Mir/Barnett is at 164.

Yeah, I found that out last night, too. My bad.

Also, Matt Brown returning is awesome.

And Miesha is correct in saying that Winslow is a bad referee, but she certainly isn't the worst, and even more so, Miesha is basing her complaint on a stoppage that was completely justified. Winslow should have stopped that fight, and I'm glad she did. And Miesha does not require any form of cuntishness to be transferred to her, she almost as big a douche as Caraway is. They deserve each other.

Lil Nog is out of the 161 card. Excited to see who they'll be getting to replace him.

EDIT: And no surprise, Chael is one of the louder ones calling Shogun out for this match.

Edited by Extremely Huge Bag of Shit

That's what the rumor is. According to Ariel Helwani the Shogun versus Charlie fight is being planned for the Boston card.

The Lyoto fight really had me scratching my head as to who is going to face Texiera next. When is Lil Nog returning again? A fight between the two would be great.

Edited by Extremely Huge Bag of Shit

Soares said he could be fighting within 6-8 weeks. And why am I drawing a blank on this Charlie that's facing Shogun?