UFC News and Discussion Thread

I scored the fight 48-47 for Henderson, but it was extremely close in at least two rounds. I think Gilbert let up a little because his corner told him they had him up the first three rounds, where I only scored the first round for him. He had a false sense of security, and it showed in the fourth round.

In regards to Josh Thomson, why should he take a step back after finishing Nate Diaz to face an unproven commodity? Thomson should be right at the top of the list of possible challengers for Ben Henderson. He finished Diaz, who had a good fight with Henderson. He lost a split decision title fight to Gilbert Melendez recently. Nurmagomedov or any other unproven commodity would be a huge downgrade in quality of opponent for Josh Thomson. If he doesn't get a title fight, then I'd say a guy like Diego Sanchez would be the fight to go with.

That's nothing against Nurmagomedov. If you want him to step up in competition though, why put him against a guy who should be on the road to a title shot? He should move up against guys who may not get another shot for a bit. Nate Diaz, Gilbert Melendez, Gray Maynard or Melvin Guillard would all be great tests. A fight against Thomson just seems counter-productive, because if Khabib loses, he's viewed as not ready. If Thomson loses, he loses credibility as a title contender and depending on how things go, the fight may not make a contender out of Nurmagomedov.

I think you strike while the iron is hot, do Henderson Vs Thomson, keep Gilbert against top competition so that he's ready for a rematch whenever they need him to be (assuming he doesn't lose in the interim) and keep developing Nurmagomedov. Give the guy a step up, see how he does. He's been impressive, but he isn't developed enough as a name to be taking out title contenders in a division that needs them.

The Cesar Gracie team say the exact same thing inbetween rounds, regardless of who is fighting and what's actually happened in the round, their guy could have been mounted and used his face to block punches for five minutes and they'd still tell him 'You won that round, now just keep hitting him!'.

The Cesar Gracie team say the exact same thing inbetween rounds, regardless of who is fighting and what's actually happened in the round, their guy could have been mounted and used his face to block punches for five minutes and they'd still tell him 'You won that round, now just keep hitting him!'.

At least they know when to throw the towel in (not that it was really necessary).

As for what's next for Thomson, I was suggesting someone like Nurmagovedov as he is a top ten ranked opponent. I think that Thomson needs another fight before he can be considered a title contender. So, If not Khabib, then perhaps Jim Miller or Donald Cerrone. But on the other hand, I'm basing my argument on the UFC's rankings, which are not all that great to be honest (Josh Koscheck probably shouldn't be in the top 10 still).

From all accounts, Dana White said at the post-fight presser that the winner of TJ Grant/Gray Maynard will be next in line against Henderson. Not sure I'm sold on it, but I'll watch anyways. Grant's been on a big winning streak here and is super impressive. Maynard is just one of those guys though, that I don't see as a top fighter. I think he plateaus right underneath and is a good test to see who has what it takes to move up, but I don't believe he is a top tier fighter.

Apart from that time he beat Frankie Edgar?

It happens. Any given Sunday, and all that jazz. It's a sport where anything can happen on any given night.

He lost his last title shot, and hasn't done enough in my mind since then to warrant another.

Well, looking at the UFC Lightweight rankings

1. Melendez - just lost

2. Pettis - fighting Aldo at FW

3. Maynard

4. Miller - Lost to Benson, 2-2 in last 4

5. Cerrone - easily beaten by Diaz

6. Diaz - easily beaten by Benson

7. Grant

8. Thomson - 1 UFC fight

9. Dos Anjos - lol

10. Nurmagomedov - Already booked, beaten no one in top 10

Lightweight ain't as deep as UFC like to make you think.

It's more because it's a really tough division and any lightweight could lose on any given night.

I still don't understand not giving Melendez the rematch, though. It's a close fight, you book a rematch. How much easier can your booking get? Everyone loved the first fight, it's still probably has that champion versus champion aura, let them fight it out again. Meanwhile, maybe we could get the winner of Grant-Maynard against the winner of Miller-Healy or something.

Oh, and apparently the idea of Grant-Maynard winner facing Bendo was Joe Silva.So :/

Lightweight ain't as deep as UFC like to make you think.

To be fair, some pretty good guys recently made the drop to featherweight. I would have liked Pettis to face Henderson next (because they had a great close fight in WEC) to be honest. But Aldo-Pettis won't be bad either. Add next to Pettis also Edgar, Guida and Siver to 155 and you do have a very deep division.

I can see Melendez facing Diego Sanchez next (as nobody else really seems available except for Nate Diaz and Melendez won't fight him).

It's more because it's a really tough division and any lightweight could lose on any given night.

I still don't understand not giving Melendez the rematch, though. It's a close fight, you book a rematch. How much easier can your booking get? Everyone loved the first fight, it's still probably has that champion versus champion aura, let them fight it out again. Meanwhile, maybe we could get the winner of Grant-Maynard against the winner of Miller-Healy or something.

Oh, and apparently the idea of Grant-Maynard winner facing Bendo was Joe Silva.So :/

I'm maybe not the most hardcore of MMA fans, but I don't understand this attitude towards rematches. He earned his shot, he didn't win, let the next guy who earned his shot take his shot. I can understand if it was an exciting, instant classic. This was a good, close fight, but not that memorable in the long run.

• Like 1

Pumped for the upcoming show. Jones/Sonnen has had be sold for a while now and the Bisping going off on Belcher in the press conference call the other day has me pumped as fuck for that one too.

McMann/Gaff on the prelims has me really interested too. A win for McMann and I'd expect she's got to be in the mix for a title shot. There's talk of Tate/Carmouche though too, I'd of possibly liked Tate/McMann at some point if they both pick up wins to decide the next contender for Rousey/Zingano. McMann/Rousey is one I'd love to see.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if McMann wins on Saturday and beats one more opponent she'll have the title shot. Tate, though, will probably have to climb back to the top. Maybe if Kaufmann comes back McMann versus her would be dope to set up the next title contender.

Most pumped for this weekend though is the Miller / Healy fight. That looks awesome.

That Miller/Healy tilt will be a scrap, hard bastard against hard bastard.

I am looking forward to the whole card to be honest.

The past couple of weeks of fights have been really good, barely a bad fight amongst them, long may it continue!

So, it turns out that Matt Mitrione is pretty pissed off at Jon Jones. After Mitrione got in trouble for saying some stuff about Fallon Fox, Jones said-

"I think he's terrible for that," Jones said. "It's ridiculous. I think Fallon Fox, that's a strong person. Despite what the person has been through in their life, that's a strong person. I'm a fan of that person because of what they've gone through and what they're willing to go through.

"People like Matt Mitrione are scumbags. He's a scumbag. I don't care if he's off suspension or doesn't fight again. He's a ridiculous person."

Jones said he believes in freedom of speech but that being a "decent" person should trump all.

"He needs to shut his mouth," Jones said. "That's how I feel about that kid. He's scum."

To which, Mitrione replied

Last time I spoke, gotNtrouble4 talking bout sum1 using hands2hurt women, guess thats a lot better than Bentleys&Telephone poles @JonnyBones

Followed by

Ur a spoiled brat that needs 2b taught a lesson & I'm the guy2do it. Come fight me at hvywgt within 1 year or ur a coward, kid @JonnyBones

So, yeah. Interesting stuff. Oh, and Matt Mitrione is no longer suspended and will face Brendan Schaub at UFC on Fox 8 (some good fights on that card as it happens)