UFC News and Discussion Thread

I really hope GSP will now face Hendricks.

I don't want to knock on GSP in any sort of way, but 6 decisions in a row are starting to grate. There hasn't really been a fight he really had to go toe to toe and against Diaz he once again dominated. But whenever he got to the ground in the championship rounds he just tended to grind it out and let Diaz try to get back up.

Again, he fucking dominated the shit out of Diaz. But I am certain he could have finished it off just as easily. Hopefully Johny gets a shot now and those two can bring the roof down in 4-6 months time...

Hendricks Vs. Condit, that match was absolutely insane in every sense of the word. All through the third round I was expecting Hendricks to go down but he kept slugging and neither man stepped away. Just a crazy crazy match and surely top 3 fight of the year.

Also, what was Marquardt thinking. Well, not much after that brutal final hook to the side of his head. He might have bitched about the finish but there was nothing to bitch about because he got straight up KO'd...

iQIxm3yvYhJkn.gif
Ouch...

Now time to prepare for half a month of UFC-less layoff.

I'm sorry, I really don't understand why decisions supposedly equals a boring fight. GSP has been the champion of the best weight class ever (except maybe the lightweight division) for like 4 and a half years now or something. And most of his fights, while not ending in a finish, are fucking entertaining. From the fight where he won his title by destroying Serra, he had great matches with Fitch, Condit, Alves, Hardy and Koscheck. I think the only fights where he was only so-so was in the Koscheck and Shields fight, in that he wanted to stand up with them and beat them up little by little. It was kind of weird to watch, but it's not like he was running away from his opponent, nor was he just taking them down and holding them there. I think he opened up almost everyone he's fought against, no?

The reason why GSP, Jones, Anderson and Aldo are the best fighters in the world are because they are fucking smart and they know how to freaking win.

Also, I laughed at people who were calling GSP a pussy when he had his hands up while Diaz had his down and was trying to act all tough and shit.

• Like 1

I'll echo that too - I hate it when people equate a decision somehow being worth less than a KO/TKO. It's a ton more impressive, and it shows a style of fighter that is methodical and doesn't take risks. I see people implying that GSP - on purpose - doesn't finish fights when he has the chance and it's just the same armchair bullshit each time.

And on another point - the Diaz's are pieces of shit disguised as people so to see Nick dominated entirely is amazing.

Diaz (and most of his camp by association) has pissed me off for a while so it should come as no surprise that I've lost even more respect for him after this weekend. Just to tot up everything he did:

- Deliberately missed a public workout session, gave warning that he would but let down a load of his fans

- Spent an entire press conference mocking people who were buying the show because of the "fake feud" between him and GSP

- Got beaten by the better man but wasted his chance to shine in the stand-up by dropping his hands and being a dick.

- Deliberately threw punches after the bell in Round 2 which should have resulted in a DQ if they'd connected, should have had points deducted for throwing them in my opinion. Based on the previous firings of Sobral and Daley it would have been interesting if Dana had fired one of his top draws for the same thing.

- Announced his retirement in a post-match promo. Again.

- Renounced his retirement in the post show press conference. Again.

- Turned up 30 minutes late to the aforementioned press conference, although this was pretty good considering he told the UFC he wasn't going at all.

- Admitted to not paying any taxes ever in a public forum.

- Challenged another champion in another weight class despite retiring not so long ago and losing two consecutive title fights (the Condit one was for the interim belt).

To be honest I don't even know if Diaz is to blame for a lot of this, Cesar Gracie needs to get hold of him and stop him from being such an absolute walking disaster zone. I can understand how people find his behaviour amusing/endearing but personally I find him to be an example of the worst parts of MMA.

• Like 3

Who did he challenge? Was it Silva? Because I'm sure Anderson would be happy to beat the piss out of him whether he deserves a shot or not.

The thing that people seem to fail to realize is that not all fighters want to be "professional athletes". Nick Diaz loves to fight. He shouldn't have to put on a dog and pony show if people want to see him fight.

I get it, it's the UFC, and they want to be super professional and set the industry standard and blah blah blah. But they hired the guy. They know his personality and his track-record when it comes to the non-fight bullshit. To say that he's being a prick or that he's undeserving of what he has is all crap. The fact is, this is exactly what the UFC wanted out of this situation.

In that regard I am on Nick Diaz's side. He doesn't like to be part of the media circus, I don't mind if he avoids it.

However, making it seem like a giant conspiracy and a major fault with the sport because his opponent didn't stand and let him punch them to death is plain retarded. Condit fought smart and drew him in to out point, GSP took all his strengths away. That is them being smart fighters and him being unable to deal with them. The world isn't out to get him.

• Like 2

- Got beaten by the better man but wasted his chance to shine in the stand-up by dropping his hands and being a dick.

This is what pisses me off about him. Like, what are you mugging for? You're down three rounds and basically need to finish the fight, you finally get an opportunity that plays to your strengths and you act like a twat and continue to get shown up. If I'd been a total newcomer to MMA, this fight would have completely turned me off the sport, like how is the guy even remotely deserving of a title shot. Not because of his behaviour, but how he was so outclassed.

The thing that people seem to fail to realize is that not all fighters want to be "professional athletes". Nick Diaz loves to fight. He shouldn't have to put on a dog and pony show if people want to see him fight.

I get it, it's the UFC, and they want to be super professional and set the industry standard and blah blah blah. But they hired the guy. They know his personality and his track-record when it comes to the non-fight bullshit. To say that he's being a prick or that he's undeserving of what he has is all crap. The fact is, this is exactly what the UFC wanted out of this situation.

But surely there's an understanding that if you fight for the biggest MMA company in the world, you're going to be expected to do promotional stuff. It's not like he signed a contract and they sprung it on him. But that's not even my issue with him. I can avoid the outside stuff. I don't like having to put up with his bullshit in the fights. I don't see how there should even be a warning for swinging after the bell, if you pull that shit once you should lose a point, twice, you're DQ'd.

• Like 1