UFC News and Discussion Thread

The thing that people seem to fail to realize is that not all fighters want to be "professional athletes". Nick Diaz loves to fight. He shouldn't have to put on a dog and pony show if people want to see him fight.

I get it, it's the UFC, and they want to be super professional and set the industry standard and blah blah blah. But they hired the guy. They know his personality and his track-record when it comes to the non-fight bullshit. To say that he's being a prick or that he's undeserving of what he has is all crap. The fact is, this is exactly what the UFC wanted out of this situation.

Er, no, he definitely is a prick. In fact, I've never seen a bigger prick in professional sports.

People love to see him fight, that's true. Hell, I love Nick Diaz when he fights. And when he's getting the better of his opponent, he looks amazing.

But when he's getting outpointed by Condit and mauled by GSP in every facet of the game, he looks like a complete numbskull for putting his hands down and trying to act cool in a fight.

He's just so stupid. I mean, I'm no pro athlete, but I'm pretty sure sleeping all day till 8PM on the biggest night in your fighting career is stupid. Saying you have never paid taxes in your life on a public platform is stupid. And yes, like Dragsy said, if you're fighting for the biggest company in your sport, and you act all surprised all the fucking time that you have to do media obligations and promote the fight, then you're a fucking idiot.

I don't even get the appeal of Nick Diaz. Nate, I can actually understand, because I honestly feel he gets the bad cred because of his ridiculous brother. But he's seems like a nice guy and you actually feel like he respects his opponent. When people say that Nick is "real" and all that, I just shake my head and try not ask why, because I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be something like "He talks about what actually happens, man, he doesn't gloss anything over".

The thing that people seem to fail to realize is that not all fighters want to be "professional athletes". Nick Diaz loves to fight. He shouldn't have to put on a dog and pony show if people want to see him fight.

I get it, it's the UFC, and they want to be super professional and set the industry standard and blah blah blah. But they hired the guy. They know his personality and his track-record when it comes to the non-fight bullshit. To say that he's being a prick or that he's undeserving of what he has is all crap. The fact is, this is exactly what the UFC wanted out of this situation.

Er, no, he definitely is a prick. In fact, I've never seen a bigger prick in professional sports.

People love to see him fight, that's true. Hell, I love Nick Diaz when he fights. And when he's getting the better of his opponent, he looks amazing.

But when he's getting outpointed by Condit and mauled by GSP in every facet of the game, he looks like a complete numbskull for putting his hands down and trying to act cool in a fight.

He's just so stupid. I mean, I'm no pro athlete, but I'm pretty sure sleeping all day till 8PM on the biggest night in your fighting career is stupid. Saying you have never paid taxes in your life on a public platform is stupid. And yes, like Dragsy said, if you're fighting for the biggest company in your sport, and you act all surprised all the fucking time that you have to do media obligations and promote the fight, then you're a fucking idiot.

I don't even get the appeal of Nick Diaz. Nate, I can actually understand, because I honestly feel he gets the bad cred because of his ridiculous brother. But he's seems like a nice guy and you actually feel like he respects his opponent. When people say that Nick is "real" and all that, I just shake my head and try not ask why, because I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be something like "He talks about what actually happens, man, he doesn't gloss anything over".

Well.

There is Nate Diaz.

• 2 weeks later...

Alexander Gustafsson (15-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) has reportedly suffered a facial cut and could be out of Saturday's UFC on FUEL TV 9 headliner with Gegard Mousasi (33-3-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC).

That's according to svt.se and MMA site MMAnytt.se. However, though MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed the cut with a source close to Gustafsson, we were unable to reach UFC officials for confirmation.

Additionally, the organization hasn't made a formal announcement of the injury or a possible scratch from the card.

Ultimately, the Swedish MMA Federation will decide whether Gustaffson can fight despite the cut, which reportedly opened near his eyebrow during a recent training session.

Terrible luck if confirmed. Unlikely that they have time to get a replacement, unless someone like Jimi Manuwa is around. The injury bug continues :/

It won't happen, the commission has said it's 99% that the injury won't be healed to an acceptable level by fight time. Sweden has a strict commission. It's just Dana talking his usual shit about stuff he has no influence over. It seems like his current plan is to cancel the main event at the 11th hour rather than finding a replacement, either that or he's laying smoke and mirrors whilst searching for a replacement.

His training partner is filling in for him against Mousasi. At least we didn't get a 151 situation on our hands!

Also, holy shit, anyone saw this week's Ultimate Fighter? I don't usually buy Dana's hyperbole, but I think I agree that this might be the best season of the Ultimate Fighter.

Edited by Extremely Huge Bag of Shit

UK fans:

--UFC has inked a new TV deal with BT Sports in the U.K. when the ESPN U.K. contract ends in August. We don't have anymore details and nobody in UFC is talking about it yet.

BT have two channels on Sky scheduled but are also looking at a third for on-demand and... PPVs. So if you like paying to watch UFC shows at 2am this might be your lucky day.

Fuck. That really sucks. Guess I'll be cancelling ESPN then

The ESPN UK channels will be ending soon anyway. There will be a ESPN branded channel on the BT Vision deal.

How soon will that be do you know?

Also, totes predicting that Brimage will grind his way to a UD

EDIT- Or not