UFC News and Discussion Thread

Rousey has 10 arms in her MMA collection... impressive. Carmouche had her in some danger. The main event had some good drama, and the whole show (sans the disappointing Schaub and Machida fights) was good.

Dan Henderson has the best chin in MMA. Just amazing. Even at 42 years old, with all the wars he's been in, his chin hasn't deteriorated.

I assume he means Ricardo Lamas, Korean Zombie, and possibly Clay Guida?

In terms of actual rankings, well, Pettis isn't even ranked. Edgar wasn't either, but he was a former champion at a higher weight class moving down after a very contentious loss to the current LW Champion. Plus Edgar is a natural 135 pounder.

As for Pettis, while I love this match up from strictly a fight standpoint, and I don't care much about the rankings in this case, Pettis is circumventing the logjam at 155. He doesn't want to wait his turn for a title shot (Which I totally understand from both a financial standpoint and the fact that he should have IMO gotten an insta-title shot when he joined UFC).

But I mean, he's the #2 contender at LW and never held the UFC title, so it's not like Edgar dropping down to 145.

Why haven't more....or even any of you.....been talking about the finish to the Faber v Menjivar fight? :(

It was a good transition followed by a rear naked choke... There you go.

I am sorry but Lamas does maybe deserve a title shot more than Pettis, Korean Zombie is a reasonable arguement, but I also don't want to see Cub get blasted by Jose Aldo for a second time, and noen of Cub's wins other than Poirer have been against top level fighters.

At the end of the day though UFC's decision does not come down to ranking positions, but instead down to how they can make more money. Showtime is just more well known than Lamas. Lamas has not quite had the signature win yet that will get him that, he could do with a win against a Clay Guida or a Korean Zombie before he gets there. Pettis vs Aldo will make the UFC more money so they will go with it.

Aldo vs Pettis is happening in August, it will be for the 145lb title, originally noise was Aldo would be willing fight Pettis but only in a non-title bout, what has changed this is if Aldo wins, he gets a shot at the 155lb belt.

Not a bad idea in my opinion. Aldo has pretty muched cleared out the division (except for Korean Zombie & Lamas, but let's face it... these guys wouldn't be seen as big challenges yet and they risk losing fights against other contenders that Aldo allready beat (Edgar, Mendes, Swanson).).

If Pettis wins it, then the whole featherweight division is shaken and there is potential for a couple of years (every match up with Edgar, Pettis, Aldo makes sense at that point and you can throw in Lamas, Korean Zombie, Swanson, Mendes, Poirier, Siver, etc..).

If Aldo wins, we have another 'superfight' in Benson/Melendez Vs Aldo and the featherweight title is up for grabs for the above-mentioned guys. The lightweight division was allways huge but with the recent moves of Pettis, Guida, Siver and losses of Cerrone, Lauzon,... it's not that crowded at the top anymore. So I guess there is room now for Aldo.

100% agree with you.

I am liking the idea of the superfights this year, in terms of Aldo/Benson Henderson happening it would give another 6 months for both the 145/155 divisions to normalise and give us some more consensus number one contenders to appear in the divisions.

Also I would like to see Anderson/Jones happen as it would give the 205 division more time to build, with another fight or two for the likes of Gustafsson and Texeira and woul allow the 185 division time to build a contender be it somebody like Vitor carryingon some fine form or someone like Rockhold/Lombard coming through with a solid win or two.

The superfight scenarios are excellent at the moment.

EDIT:

On the note of BT, it depends, the UFC contract is up in August again as ESPN only signed a 12 month extension in 2012, so it could end up anywhere or nowhere after the summer.

Overreem's blood tests have revealed that he had a testosterone level below normal for the Silva fight.

Call me cynical, but I expect he'll be applying for a TRT exemption soon.

Matt Riddle was cut for failing his drug test.

Also, DJ's injured and out of his title fight at the TUF Finale :( Uriah and Scott Jorgensen are now the main event.

EDIT: Haha, Benson says if he beats Melendez he wants GSP next. Dana said that won't happen, though.

Also, apparently Pettis' manager wants the same deal as Aldo: if Pettis wins, he gets a 155lbs title shot.

I really am starting to hate this switching weight classes thing.

Edited by Extremely Huge Bag of Shit