MLS and USL Thread 2021

Lowerdeck

So a ranking USSF official went on a vile racist tirade during the org's AGM, and the prez is basically feigning ignorance and giving empty platitudes.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2021/2/27/22305191/us-soccer-annual-general-meeting-racist-comments-dei-has-long-way-to-go

Now more than ever, it's time to support grassroots footy in the US.

Update: The official has "apologized". By which I mean he said "I'm sorry you SJWs were offended by my racism, j/k I'm not sorry about any of this at all".

2 hours ago, damshow said:

They're either going to find nothing improper was done or find something improper was done and then fine them a laughably low sum or take away a draft pick. 

Probably, yeah.

But in more important news, the most hotly anticipated domestic match of the year, The People's Himmarshee FC vs Inter Florida AC "The Clipart Gators" will be happening tommorrow afternoon.

2 hours ago, Lowerdeck said:

I like the format.  Though having to play Charlotte, Rowdies, and Charleston on top of Pitt will be a challenge.

On the plus side, four chances to beat Tampa Bay.

Also on the plus side, The People's Himmarshee FC won, only 0-1 but we'd have probably gotten two or three if not for the deluge that occurred during the second half. And the referee did a decent job by South Florida ref standards!

Also, speaking of Charlotte...

Basically trying to make a corporatized simulacrum of an SG, with a name that's intentionally similar to the existing SG (Jack's Militia).

3 hours ago, OctoberRaven said:

Also, speaking of Charlotte...

Basically trying to make a corporatized simulacrum of an SG, with a name that's intentionally similar to the existing SG (Jack's Militia).

IIRC, Charlotte's had below average attendance in the USL for years.  I'd question how they landed a MLS team, except corporate money makes the world go round.

1 hour ago, Lowerdeck said:

IIRC, Charlotte's had below average attendance in the USL for years.  I'd question how they landed a MLS team, except corporate money makes the world go round.

Well I'm sure the MLS press release will say something about there never has ever been a footy team in the Carolinas.

But yeah, corporate money The franchise fees are all that keep the lights on anymore in MLS.

Oh yeah the MLS is basically built on the perpetual cycle of new expansion club fees and the hopeful optimism the US will do so well at the World Cup the entire country suddenly becomes obsessed with everything soccer and MLS passes MLB as the most popular summer sports league there is.

So Charlotte said "hey here's the money" and that was the end of the conversation. Meanwhile a city which has seen really strong support in Sacramento finally got an expansion team and now that bid might be falling apart. I mean, this isn't anything new. MLS seems to not even factor in what local support might be though, basically betting on it being able to be manufactured or if it isn't they can fleece another city's taxpayers to build a stadium and move the team there.

28 minutes ago, damshow said:

Oh yeah the MLS is basically built on the perpetual cycle of new expansion club fees and the hopeful optimism the US will do so well at the World Cup the entire country suddenly becomes obsessed with everything soccer and MLS passes MLB as the most popular summer sports league there is.

So Charlotte said "hey here's the money" and that was the end of the conversation. Meanwhile a city which has seen really strong support in Sacramento finally got an expansion team and now that bid might be falling apart. I mean, this isn't anything new. MLS seems to not even factor in what local support might be though, basically betting on it being able to be manufactured or if it isn't they can fleece another city's taxpayers to build a stadium and move the team there.

Sac might be a good market for USLC, but MLS might be pushing it.

So we've been running a pretty damn bad ass Pro Academy in San Antonio for a while now ... and uh, now this is happening:

We've got a kid that's been in the USU15 (Leo Torres)
A kid that was signed by a Belgian 2nd division club (Ethan Bryant but he's back now) and is part of the USU18 set up.
Our starting keeper (Matt Cardone) is top 5 in the league and is an SA native through and through (has even had a look by Orlando).

On top of that we've done pretty well with some developing of younger players we've scouted. Christian Parano couldn't catch on in Argentina but he came here and after a couple of seasons Pacos de Ferreira in Portugal came calling. Also had a kid on the U17's before he transferred (Devin Vega).

• 2 weeks later...

guess I'm budgeting for a Sounders kit this year.

(for anyone wondering, the matchday tradition is the stadium plays the intro to "All Along the Watchtower" at kickoff.)

• Like 2

So this week, The People's Himmarshee FC:

-Were set to face our division rivals with three matches to go, the winner all but clinching a playoff spot

-Opposition also plays in another league, and despite having been committed to our league's schedule since Jan, scheduled another match at the same time as this week's fixture at the last minute

-Demanded we reschedule. We told them fuck no, you committed to this, change your other match. They said they can't reschedule the other match, they'd forfeit if we didn't, we said oh well.

-League steps in and declares it a forfeit in our favor. Suddenly, opposition was able to reschedule the other match.

-One of their backup keepers was a temporary linesman as one the refs didn't show up on time

-We still beat them by three goals. 😎

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WOOT!

Despite CONCACAF trying to CONCACAF the league opened up CCL with two solid showings last night.
Portland got out of Honduras 2-2 and honestly had it not been played on a pitch with roughly 5in of grass they'd have likely won that match 4/5-2.
Atlanta went down a man (Guzan red card) and put in an 18yr old emergency keeper but still WON 1-0 against the best team in Costa Rica right now, in CR.

So YAY!