General Movie Thread 2021

RPS

Summer of Soul is a pretty great documentary. It’s about the Harlem Cultural Festival of 1969, sometimes known as the Black Woodstock. Basically every Black musical act that was alive and was ever popular was there, from all genres. INCREDIBLE performances and cool interviews. It was filmed, but the footage laid in storage up until now. Questlove directed it. It’s on Hulu here in the States, and I think it got a theatrical release.

• Like 1

Army of the Dead prequel starring the guy who played the safecracker in that movie. Set during the early days of the zombie outbreak, when he's apparently just getting into the safecracking biz.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CLDY said:

Army of the Dead prequel starring the guy who played the safecracker in that movie. Set during the early days of the zombie outbreak, when he's apparently just getting into the safecracking biz.

I imagine it'll be like AotD, fun but not good.

You know, Heathers is one of my all-time favorite movies ever, but the more and more I watch it the more I think my favorite character is Martha Dunstock. Of all of the characters in the movie, to me, she is the most fleshed out and human despite the fact that she has very few lines (maybe even no lines now that I'm thinking about it?). She's easily the most empathetic character, I think. 

Watched The Suicide Squad and boy that was totally not what I was expecting. In a good way. 

It was almost like the Rambo of comic-book movies. A really fun watch and the whole thing just looked fantastic, great effects and cinematography. 

Edited by FLiam

On a slightly related note I watched Army of the Dead yesterday. It wasn't horrible, but I can't see myself being arsed to watch again, or indeed the inevitable sequel and nearly done prequel. Bloated, full of holes, and you know how the likes of Edgar Wright and Tarantino (and indeed James Gunn) can use the soundtrack to lift their films even higher? Snyder does literally the opposite with fucking John Lewis covers of pop songs throughout the first half hour. And the cringey bit near the end when it plays Zombie by the Cranberries for literally no other reason than it being called Zombie because it doesn't fit whatsoever.

On 08/08/2021 at 05:44, Colly said:

On a slightly related note I watched Army of the Dead yesterday. It wasn't horrible, but I can't see myself being arsed to watch again, or indeed the inevitable sequel and nearly done prequel. Bloated, full of holes, and you know how the likes of Edgar Wright and Tarantino (and indeed James Gunn) can use the soundtrack to lift their films even higher? Snyder does literally the opposite with fucking John Lewis covers of pop songs throughout the first half hour. And the cringey bit near the end when it plays Zombie by the Cranberries for literally no other reason than it being called Zombie because it doesn't fit whatsoever.

The ending sadly left open the possibility of a sequel....sort of. Hope it does not happen.

Bob Ross: Happy Accidents, Betrayal & Greed brings us the shockingly untold story about the prolific landscape artist and host of The Joy of Painting, Bob Ross and his legacy. With a keen appreciation for nature, and a kind and gentle demeanor, he encouraged everyone he met to embrace their creativity and believe in themselves, becoming a cultural phenomenon along the way. The man who famously said that there were no mistakes, rather just happy accidents has brought sheer delight to the world for decades. While his soothing voice and unmistakable image continue to evoke nostalgia, there remains a sinister tale surrounding his name and the empire that was built on it being hijacked by once trusted partners, whose slow betrayal of him continued beyond his death in 1995.

I swear Jeff Anderson doesn't age

The best part of clerks 2 was the opening montage because it was set to (Nothing but) Flowers by Talking Heads

Ive not watched anything Kevin Smith has made in a looooooong time now and I really don't feel like ever doing so.

He has his diehard fanbase and that's probably enough for him

23 hours ago, Hobo said:

The best part of clerks 2 was the opening montage because it was set to (Nothing but) Flowers by Talking Heads

Ive not watched anything Kevin Smith has made in a looooooong time now and I really don't feel like ever doing so.

He has his diehard fanbase and that's probably enough for him

I haven't watched Jay & Silent Bob Get A Reboot after hearing how bad it is.  I'll likely watch Clerks 3, because Clerks 2 wasn't terrible, I actually enjoyed it a lot.  Clerks seems to be Smiths "baby" and he seems to put in a little more effort for those movies. 

Plus I really like Jeff Anderson

16 hours ago, Lint said:

I haven't watched Jay & Silent Bob Get A Reboot after hearing how bad it is.  I'll likely watch Clerks 3, because Clerks 2 wasn't terrible, I actually enjoyed it a lot.  Clerks seems to be Smiths "baby" and he seems to put in a little more effort for those movies. 

Plus I really like Jeff Anderson

If you like Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, you'll like Reboot. It's got a similar tone, it's just silly fun. I liked it.