General Gaming Thread 2021

Ruki

So I played ESO last night for about 4 hours and barely got anywhere, which I kind of enjoy because it means that I have so much grinding ahead and it's fun to do while watching a show, or a streamer or some shit. The controls are a bit weird compared to WoW or FF, which is what I play the most.

I looked to see if I could set them up the same way but it doesn't quite work in the same in terms of combat and such so it's a matter of me getting used to using ASDW to move rather than my arrow keys like I do in other games. I might be able to set my E and R keys up to be "DEL" and "END" which would allow me to do use the same keys that I do but we'll see.

I'm actually surprised more people don't play it with the way that it's set up.

On 25/03/2021 at 10:20, RPS said:

Is anyone going to pick up Binding of Isaac Repentance on Day 1? I know Cloudy and BK are into Isaac, but my memory fails me as to who else is on the bandwagon. 

It is great. Very hard. But great.

On 30/03/2021 at 14:15, Forky said:

So I played ESO last night for about 4 hours and barely got anywhere, which I kind of enjoy because it means that I have so much grinding ahead and it's fun to do while watching a show, or a streamer or some shit. The controls are a bit weird compared to WoW or FF, which is what I play the most.

I looked to see if I could set them up the same way but it doesn't quite work in the same in terms of combat and such so it's a matter of me getting used to using ASDW to move rather than my arrow keys like I do in other games. I might be able to set my E and R keys up to be "DEL" and "END" which would allow me to do use the same keys that I do but we'll see.

I'm actually surprised more people don't play it with the way that it's set up.

Pro tip, start from your alliances old starting point, rather than where ever the latest DLC drops you. Otherwise, you'll start the story halfway through.

Aldmeri - Khenarthi's Roost

Ebonheart - Bleakrock Isle

Daggerfall - Betnikh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

Pro tip, start from your alliances old starting point, rather than where ever the latest DLC drops you. Otherwise, you'll start the story halfway through.

Aldmeri - Khenarthi's Roost

Ebonheart - Bleakrock Isle

Daggerfall - Betnikh

Hmmm, maybe I need to restart then. I'm only level 5 so it's not that big of a deal but I did not know that. They started me in Solitude which I believe is the starting city for Greymoor. Is there a way to do it from the very beginning or do I just need to get there after it drops me in Solitude?

You don't need to restart. Join a guild and teleport to someone who is in those zones.

Also, Daggerfall starting zone is Stros M'kai, not Betnikh. Been a while since I was there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gazz said:

You don't need to restart. Join a guild and teleport to someone who is in those zones.

Also, Daggerfall starting zone is Stros M'kai, not Betnikh. Been a while since I was there.

Why didn't you tell me it's all cats in Khenarthi's Roost? I'm allergic :shifty:

Titanfall 2 is really fun. The non-mech parts reminds me a lot of Killzone, which I don't hate. I'd like the mech parts more if it was in third person, but whatever. I like it.

I've mainly been playing the first Division game, though. I know the second one is better apparently, but I got the bundle that has both, so I decided to play them in order. It doesn't do anything to reinvent the wheel of a shooter or anything, but for some reason I'm really sucked into this game. I mean, all you really do is go to point A, shoot, collect, go to base, upgrade, repeat. But it's still fun, somehow? I'm curious as to how the second one expands and improves this.

Anyone else remember the Xenosaga games? I'm down a wiki wormhole right now, reading about them. I played Episode I back when it came out (200.. 3?) and then skipped 2 because the reviews were poor and never played 3 either. Thinking about trying to find it somewhere to play again. I remember it being a pretty batshit game at times.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CLDY said:

Anyone else remember the Xenosaga games? I'm down a wiki wormhole right now, reading about them. I played Episode I back when it came out (200.. 3?) and then skipped 2 because the reviews were poor and never played 3 either. Thinking about trying to find it somewhere to play again. I remember it being a pretty batshit game at times.

I rented the first one from Blockbuster, because anime aesthetic. But I remember there being TOO MUCH in the way of cutscenes, and not enough in the way of gameplay? Didn't enjoy it back then from what I remember.

I do remember that there's a 40 minute cutscene at one point, and the game prompts you mid-cutscene if you want to save (as well as right before and right after it). Didn't really bother me because by that time I was engrossed in the story, so I didn't care.

Oh yeah, loved number 1, played half of part 2. Have rewatched 1 and 2, meaning to watch 3

12 hours ago, CLDY said:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, damshow said:

I only played the first one. Monolith Soft has gotten a lot of mileage out of the Xeno universe, more recently with Xenoblade Chronicles. I've regrettably not checked the latter out yet.

Are all the xeno games related ?

2 hours ago, JMarushin said:

Are all the xeno games related ?

Xenogears, Xenosaga and Xenoblade are all their own series and even within the series there's only (I think, not specified because it can be seen as a spoiler of sorts - albeit a well known one now) a single case of the stories actually connecting. It's more of a thematic tie in the overall series that get even deeper if they're in the same series.

• Like 1

I sunk well over a hundred hours into Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii. It had the problem a lot of open world games did where it feels like it just throws a hundred plot twists at you all at once out of nowhere, and it's really hard to keep up, but actually it's your own fault because you spent the last thirty hours doing fetch quests and seeking out obscure collectables and forgot what the finer points of the story were. I'm sure it would all flow really well if you just followed the narrative instead!

6 hours ago, Skummy said:

I sunk well over a hundred hours into Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii. It had the problem a lot of open world games did where it feels like it just throws a hundred plot twists at you all at once out of nowhere, and it's really hard to keep up, but actually it's your own fault because you spent the last thirty hours doing fetch quests and seeking out obscure collectables and forgot what the finer points of the story were. I'm sure it would all flow really well if you just followed the narrative instead!

One of the tougher challenges of open world games is pouring so much time into exploring, collecting, etc. I've run into it too and forget some story details. I find I've become a bit more disciplined and really do my non-main story activities in batches, usually between major acts. Sometimes it's hard to tell you've reached a "stopping point" but most of these games can't help themselves and make it super obvious, i.e. when they make you travel to the next town/city and it's clearly a long ways away.

• Like 1

Finished Control and I've got to say it's an excellent game. Definetly worth playing if you haven't already. 

Only criticism I have is the final mission could have been better but overall one of my favourite games I've played this year so far. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ruki Returns said:

I dunno if this game is short or it's because I'm skipping side missions, but I am blasting through Yakuza 4. I'm already on chapter 3 for Kiryu.

Chapter 4...