General Gaming Thread 2021

Ruki

40 minutes ago, MadJack said:

EA apparently going to announce the revival of one of their many, many IPs at their event in July - lots of speculation at what it could be. I think it'll disappoint people and be EA jumping on the snow sport bandwagon that seems to be starting up again and it'll be an SSX game.

A proper SSX would have me hype.

• Like 2

I loved Dead Space 1 and 2. Absolutely great games

But yeh EA had way to unrealistic expectations on that franchise and shoehorned a multiplayer into the second game and the third game lost touch of the horror side of the game and became a bit of a dull action game set in space 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

I loved Dead Space 1 and 2. Absolutely great games

But yeh EA had way to unrealistic expectations on that franchise and shoehorned a multiplayer into the second game and the third game lost touch of the horror side of the game and became a bit of a dull action game set in space 

I actually enjoyed the progression of the games and the story and how they changed along with how Isaac changed. But I did miss the vibe from DS1 in the later games.

Playing through Yakuza 6, I think it's my favorite story in the series. The combat, mini games and side content are second only to 0. But the main  story? Hot dang. I think I'm at the start of chapter 10 with the big reveal.

Near, who was known for their work on emulators such as bsnes and their work translating JRPGs and other games to English, passed away over the past weekend. They posted some worrisome tweets about suicidal ideation over the weekend and the harassment they were facing at the hands of Kiwi Farms, who were harassing them seemingly just because they were autistic.

Vice's Patrick Klepek wrote about it.

I cannot overstate the depth of pain in Near's words that followed. Reading it now, I cannot get through most of the emails without tears, knowing the end result only a few months later. This was an individual failed by society's inability to reckon with and enact consequences for the internet's worst elements, and history suggests they will not be the final victim, either.

This was a person who wanted to live and thrive, but found themselves constantly struggling under the weight of intense forces beyond their control and without obvious means of pushing back against the tidal wave of harassment sent at them.

Near told me they were hoping to lead an even more private life. The less online, the less likely the harassment would rear its head and cause more strife. Near seemed optimistic about the future. I was optimistic for their future, too, as much as a relative stranger can be.

"It'll mostly be emulation stuff from here on out, but if something's particularly interesting," said Near. "I'll let you know."

The next time I would think about Near would be this Saturday night, as I settled into bed. I briefly looked at Twitter, upon which I found a number of people contacting me about Near, wondering if I could get in touch with them. The concerning tweets had gone out, and at the time, there was still optimism that the tragic fate suggested in them could maybe be avoided.

• Sad 1

On 30/06/2021 at 14:45, Ruki Returns said:

Playing through Yakuza 6, I think it's my favorite story in the series. The combat, mini games and side content are second only to 0. But the main  story? Hot dang. I think I'm at the start of chapter 10 with the big reveal.

Yup. Best story for the series. Just finished it.

Edit: the post credit scenes made me cry, which is a first for the series. Since becoming a parent anything that involves kids or family just hits different. 

Edited by Ruki Returns
  • Like 1

Completed Resident Evil 7 last night, enjoyed the experience the last boss fight was a little too easy would have expected more after previous ones in the game but yeah enjoyed it, I've unlocked madhouse and the thought of going through it on that difficulty does not entice me one bit. Got Resident Evil Village as well so will be starting that at somepoint

Edit: Also Ethan might be one of the dumbest protagonists and unluckiest in gaming history 

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that the mobile AEW GM game is out and someone +1ing some old posts in the old Serious Parody thread recently has me wondering; whatever became of them?

I don't really recall hearing anything about them after that until the whole 5 Star Wrestling thing kicked off. I think we all appreciate that rocking Andy Organ theme. Were they just done after the PS4 re-release? Did Wrestling Manager make any money outside of the tenners that JBH and Benji gave?

2 minutes ago, King Ellis said:

The fact that the mobile AEW GM game is out and someone +1ing some old posts in the old Serious Parody thread recently has me wondering; whatever became of them?

I don't really recall hearing anything about them after that until the whole 5 Star Wrestling thing kicked off. I think we all appreciate that rocking Andy Organ theme. Were they just done after the PS4 re-release? Did Wrestling Manager make any money outside of the tenners that JBH and Benji gave?

I have a friend who worked on the 5 Star Wrestling game, and they were all laid off with less than a day's notice and owed a ton of money. They were a complete shambles, no management experience and minimal programming experience, just winging it by relying on overworked and underpaid staff and daddy's credit card. The company was officially liquidated last year, but basically the money their "sister company" pissed away on trying to run a wrestling promotion shut the whole thing down. The promotion side of things still owes Rey Mysterio somewhere in the region of £50,000, I believe.

• Sad 3

Ironically, that sounds a lot like a carny indy.

If anyone wants a chilled, relaxing game, I can't recommend Astroneer enough. It's currently on Xbox Gamepass. You basically just toddle around planets, collecting resources to build rockets and stuff. I don't even think there are any enemies. Once you have portable oxygen and a rocket pack to save you from suffocation and fall damage, I'm not even sure you can die if you tried.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gazz said:

If anyone wants a chilled, relaxing game, I can't recommend Astroneer enough. It's currently on Xbox Gamepass. You basically just toddle around planets, collecting resources to build rockets and stuff. I don't even think there are any enemies. Once you have portable oxygen and a rocket pack to save you from suffocation and fall damage, I'm not even sure you can die if you tried.

Like No Man’s Sky?

I've bought a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller and got OpenEMU working for some unadulterated Gamecube and N64 goodness. I'm currently playing Skies of Arcadia, which I'm enjoying so far but doubt I'm even 5% into the game despite three hours of gameplay; and I'm also going through Diddy Kong Racing again as I never advanced past Wizpig back in the day.

One downside of OpenEMU though: there's a known bug that hasn't been fixed in at least 3 years meaning I can't play No Mercy (and possibly the other THQ/AKI wrestling games) properly. It crashes after every match. :(

My plan once I either complete or get bored of Skies of Arcadia is to play Conker's Bad Fur Day and Banjo-Kazooie as I never played either. Also at some point I'll do Super Mario 64, which I've never played either despite owning the actual console.

Any other recommendations from that era? The more niche the better!

2 hours ago, GA! said:

I've bought a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller and got OpenEMU working for some unadulterated Gamecube and N64 goodness. I'm currently playing Skies of Arcadia, which I'm enjoying so far but doubt I'm even 5% into the game despite three hours of gameplay; and I'm also going through Diddy Kong Racing again as I never advanced past Wizpig back in the day.

One downside of OpenEMU though: there's a known bug that hasn't been fixed in at least 3 years meaning I can't play No Mercy (and possibly the other THQ/AKI wrestling games) properly. It crashes after every match. :(

My plan once I either complete or get bored of Skies of Arcadia is to play Conker's Bad Fur Day and Banjo-Kazooie as I never played either. Also at some point I'll do Super Mario 64, which I've never played either despite owning the actual console.

Any other recommendations from that era? The more niche the better!

Excuse me, what? How is this possible?