General Gaming Thread 2021

Ruki

I spent so many hours on PES4. I remember knowing nothing about football at the time but getting really excited when I realised Paul Robinson had the same birthday as me, and that was the extent of my football knowledge for a while. I think that was the game where it had a glitch where if you replayed a goal you just scored, it would add another goal to your tally every time? Good times.

6 hours ago, Colly said:

Lucky for me my N64 still works too...

ISS64 had those ridiculous challenge modes where you had to win from being 2 goals down with ten minutes to go. It was hard, but you basically got more injury time than actual time.

Yessss those rocked, the best one that took me forever was the one where you play as Scotland,are down 2 I think, and have a corner kick in the middle of a rain storm and like zero time

On 22/07/2021 at 16:17, CLDY said:

Today a former employee of a StarCraft II esports team came forward with allegations about Alex Afrasiabi during a party attended by a number of higher-up Blizzard employees as well. 

Trigger warning for descriptions of an assault, and I'll put it behind a spoiler in case it embeds:

Inside Blizzard Developers' infamous "Bill Cosby Suite"

Jesus Christ. This was going on right as people victimized by Cosby were coming forward with allegations and stories about him. Their weak-ass defense is "it's a reference to an ugly board room", but said board room didn't look anything like a "Cosby sweater". It's really, disgustingly, blatantly fucking obvious. Jesus Christ.

Also, Activision Blizzard employees are doing a walkout today in protest. You can show support for them with the hashtag #ActiBlizzWalkout and a blue heart emoji on Twitter / social media, and don't forget to close the Battle.net client if you keep it running in the background (like I do, most of the time). 

• Like 1

Oh man... the difficulty spikes in Yakuza 7 are harsh.

Spoiler

Which makes sense because you're fighting Kiryu, Majima, and Taega. Them showing up was so awesome!!

Time for some grinding. 

I love Just Cause. It's the only series where not only can you break a fall at terminal velocity by using a grappling hook to *land faster*, but also stuff like this:

20210805170907_1.jpg

"Huh. Hey Bob, see that guy?"

"The one with an LMG and an RPG strapped to his back, holding semtex, and hanging off a billboard?"

"I think he's the guy who's been blowing shit up everywhere."

"Why do you say that?"

"Well there's an armed explosive on the billboard, for one."

"Did you see him put it here?"

"...No, I have not."

"Then obviously it's nothing to worry about."

• Haha 1

I just bought Yakuza Like A Dragon on Friday, and after 48 hours of downloading (my internet speed is 1.5mb/s at the moment), I'm enjoying it. It's the first time I've played with English voices instead of Japanese with subtitles, and it feels a bit wrong.

49 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I just bought Yakuza Like A Dragon on Friday, and after 48 hours of downloading (my internet speed is 1.5mb/s at the moment), I'm enjoying it. It's the first time I've played with English voices instead of Japanese with subtitles, and it feels a bit wrong.

Fantastic game! I beat it on Thursday, about about 60 hours with it. The english voice actors were fantastic. 

Anybody know any underrated OSTs? I've never played them, but I've been listening to the Killzone OSTs at work and it's been a highly productive night so far.

Killzone 3 has tickled my pickle the most. It sounds like a famous composer, but I don't want to say in case I influence anyone else's thoughts. Think it sounds like someone else's work?

I always mention Halo: ODST when this type of conversations comes up, since a lot of people skipped the game. Arguably the best soundtrack to any Halo game.

Xenoblade Chronicles for me. There is no better battle theme than You Will Know Our Names.

On 09/08/2021 at 23:06, Ruki Returns said:

Fantastic game! I beat it on Thursday, about about 60 hours with it. The english voice actors were fantastic

I was certain that H Jon Benjamin was voicing Nanba, and whilst finding out it wasn't, I discovered George frickin Takei was in it.

• Like 1

I don't usually care for video game soundtracks, but after I beat Cosmic Star Heroine on the Switch last year I needed that fuckin' soundtrack. So many different styles of music, it fuckin' slaps, and you wouldn't think it would gel well with a 16 bit sci-fi RPG but damn does it ever.

Also, Life Is Strange 1 and Before the Storm. Those two are games that are absolutely made to be soundtracked with actual songs by existing, somewhat popular artists, and jesus christ it hits. The Farewell ending in Before the Storm with Black Flies by Ben Howard playing... yeah, I cried. Fuck it.

• Like 1

Thanks for suggestions guys. If you never played Lost Odyssey, please at least listen to the soundtrack. I forgot this game existed. My second disc stopped working and I never got to finish the game. I should rectify that.

Also remembered this beauty. Castlevania Judgment. Crap game, INSANE new versions of old Castlevania songs, they are just perfect renditions. Some have shown up in Super Smash Bros, much like the epic Xenoblade tune.

Some of the names of the songs vary due to translations but my favourite is Crossing the Waste/Go to the Wilderness. I think this is the kind of soundtrack that gets used a bit by Youtubers, like I wanna say Scott the Woz uses Breakout/Block Destruction in his videos? I seem to remember that being 90% of the comments on videos that are just that one song.

The OST from Biker Mice From Mars SNES. Yes, really.

Also, this song from Hyrule Warriors makes the classic overworld theme and makes totally badass

Also, the OSTs from Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, albeit underrated because the entire world doesn't know how great it is

Still playing Just Cause 3, clearing the biggest island now. Once all the base are belong to me (except the Centcoms) I'll get around to the story.

G64MUi9.jpg

Suck it @Ruki Returns