General Gaming Thread 2021

Ruki

Yeah, the Hitman 3 missions feel like they have a "right" path through them, whereas 1 and 2 felt a lot more open and sandbox-y. Which isn't to say that you can't go through and do the 3 missions in different ways but the game is so focused on its story that it didn't feel right to me to do it another way.

A much bigger point of disappointment to me is that they barely use the Hitman 3 maps for Elusive Targets at all. I bought the game at full price because a) I knew Hitman 2 didn't sell great and I like IO Interactive and b) I didn't want to miss out on any fun ETs and instead there's been all of one of those on a Season 3 map.

The one level I've really enjoyed so far on Hitman 3 was the murder mystery one but at the same time it felt very much as you said it had the right path. 

I did like the Berlin level too which felt more like Hitman 2 in that there's several ways to go about it. 

I was disappointed in most of the Hitman 3 levels, mainly because of the lack of different assassination options and mission stories. Like GoGo says, It feels like a lot of the creativity of H1 and H2 got replaced with focusing on the story, and as soon as that happens it feels less like a Hitman game. See Absolution for evidence of that.

I'm playing through the H1 and H2 levels again and they are so crazily detailed that it kind of makes up for it. I've played Miami so many times, but yesterday ended up inside an area I had never been before (the pit garage of one of the barely mentioned other teams in the race). You don't get that same feeling when when the last level is just a train.

Is anyone currently playing or have played Outrider? I keep reading that there are a lot of bugs but I see they did a huge patch update at the end of April. Just wondering on opinions of it now? I'm trying to decide between it and Sekiro at the moment.

On Hitman 3, I actually did feel they were pretty sandboxes, with the exception of the murder mystery one. Each level had lots of verticality and areas to them that made them interesting. I really liked the Berlin level. 

• Like 1

I went on a video game purchasing spree last night because I seriously have a problem....And I love video games.

Grabbed Disco Elysium, Fallout 4, Fallout: New Vegas, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nioh 2 and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

I had an issue previously where I bought Disco Elysium and it wouldn't play. Same with Divinity but I downloaded it last night and it worked perfectly. Played a couple hours of it and man I really love it. It's not action packed or anything but it was never supposed to be, and I really enjoy those dialogue style games. Now that it works on my PC, I might try to find out if Divinity will play now. It had the same issues as DE did where it would say it was loading, I'd get a flash of the game and then it would instantly close.

Some games I looked at that I didn't buy, and was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on them because I might eventually pick them up.

Outriders (Asked about that above)
Nier
The Outer Worlds
Mass Effect (The legendary edition) comes out in 2 days.
Biomutant (This isn't out yet but it looks kind of fun)
Monster Hunter
Rainbow Six: Siege

I will say I don't like the style of Yakuza as I know that's mentioned a lot. I already have Assassin's Creed, Stardew Valley and COD: Cold War. I'm just looking for games that will hold me over until I can secure a PS5.

The Outer Worlds is something you'll probably enjoy if you like Fallout. Bear in mind that it's shorter and not so much of an open-world game. Each planet or station has its own smaller sandbox, rather than a big world that's open from the start.

In some ways, the Mass Effect games are like that too, but they're more serious in tone than The Outer Worlds. I wouldn't say the gameplay is remarkably good, especially in the first one, but the main focus is the story, the characters and the player choices. The last game's ending is bad, as everyone knows by now, but the journey is enjoyable.

I saw that they apparently redid the camera angles and everyone was having a fit about it for some horrible ass reasoning. Oh noes, you can't look up shirts or look at the characters ass. :rolleyes:

One thing that has put me off is that apparently you can't play it directly on Steam. It sends you to Origin I think it is?

44 minutes ago, Forky said:

One thing that has put me off is that apparently you can't play it directly on Steam. It sends you to Origin I think it is?

That's right. From what I've experienced, Origin isn't as bad as it used to be, but it's still a pain to need two different clients to play a single game.

1 minute ago, Bobfoc said:

That's right. From what I've experienced, Origin isn't as bad as it used to be, but it's still a pain to need two different clients to play a single game.

Yeah and I already have Ubisoft, Epic AND Battlenet because of Assassin's Creed, GTA 5 and COD. I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of yet another launcher.

What I'm wondering is when the reviews will start appearing. IGN's Dan Stapleton revealed that, as of a couple of days ago, no review codes had been sent out by EA. Combined with the news that there's going to be a big day one patch, I'm a little wary.

3 minutes ago, Forky said:

Yeah and I already have Ubisoft, Epic AND Battlenet because of Assassin's Creed, GTA 5 and COD. I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of yet another launcher.

The old versions of the Mass Effect games are still on Steam and don't require any other launcher. They might be a better option.

Been playing AC Odyssey and it’s great. A little different from Origins though - it’s taking me a minute to get used to combat as it feels a bit different. I decided to play as Kassandra after initially starting as the guy. His voice-acting was meh whereas Kassandra’s is miles better.

And yes, the map is fucking huge. 

On 12/05/2021 at 01:03, Ruki Returns said:

Man. The lore in the Nier series is crazy. 

Just finished route/ending C, holy shit. The last hour is so amazing. I am kicking myself for not playing this sooner.

47 minutes ago, Ruki Returns said:

Just finished route/ending C, holy shit. The last hour is so amazing. I am kicking myself for not playing this sooner.

Welp....

Spoiler

Goodbye my data. I hope you help someone :)

On 12/05/2021 at 18:42, FLiam said:

Been playing AC Odyssey and it’s great. A little different from Origins though - it’s taking me a minute to get used to combat as it feels a bit different. I decided to play as Kassandra after initially starting as the guy. His voice-acting was meh whereas Kassandra’s is miles better.

And yes, the map is fucking huge. 

I definitely feel Kassandra is the best fit for protagonist in that game. Her voice acting is good, and Alexios is honestly a bit of a generic slab of greek meat in comparison. Although plot wise the differences are minimal so you're not losing out on picking either.

• Like 2

On 12/05/2021 at 06:43, Forky said:

The Outer Worlds
Mass Effect (The legendary edition) comes out in 2 days.

Outer Worlds is very much Fallout in space. I love it, because it's much, much shorter than your average modern Fallout game, not exactly "open world" (I mean, it is... but it also isn't huge, I guess?). I do love the pro-worker and leftist ideology that's sprinkled through the game. If you're into that sort of thing. I haven't played the DLC, but I heard it's a fun murder mystery type thing.

Mass Effect is the best thing Bioware has ever done. Fight me, Star Wars fans. I'd say get it, because ultimately you're paying whatever you are in your country for three games plus a boatload of DLC. The second entry in the trilogy is one of the best games ever, IMO.

• Like 1